PDA

View Full Version : Xmas is coming,, hint hint...

JJ_BPK
10-10-2009, 15:13
I've started my list for Santa..

Wheels and Two Kegs Make One Awesome Party Bike, By Charlie Sorrel, October 9, 2009,Categories: Transportation

The Hopworksfiets party bike was built in, where else, bike- and beer-mad Portland, Oregon, by the bike builders Metrofiets. All you really need to know in order to fall in love with this bike is that it carries not one, but two beer kegs along with a pair of taps to serve the suds.

The mobile bar, a custom build for Portland-based Hopworks Urban Brewery, is a long-wheelbase cargo bike with the load bed up front, which we guess means that pedestrians can’t sneak a quick pint when you’re stopped at the lights. There’s a “sound pannier” at the back, containing an amp and a speaker, and the rear rack is just the right size to carry a stack of pizza boxes.

Just make sure that you nominate a designated rider. When fully loaded, this thing weighs close to 400 pounds, and of course has just two wheels. In other words, it’s not the kind of vehicle you want to be driving while under the influence.

See below for a slideshow of the bike in action, assembled by its creators.

Introducing the Hopworksfiets: Beer, pizza, music, and true Portland spirit, all on one bike [Bike Portland via Inhabitat]

www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/10/only-in-portland-beer-keg-carrying-party-bike

Utah Bob
10-10-2009, 17:40
Normally I just put coal in my own stocking to save Santa time.;)

7624U
10-10-2009, 18:43
an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! :D

echoes
10-10-2009, 18:44
Normally I just put coal in my own stocking to save Santa time.;)

Um, No Sir!!!! ;)

NO Special Forces Soldier will be getting "coal" from Santa!!!! Grrrrrrr!!!

In fact, NO SOLDIER, SAILOR, AIRMEN, or MARINE who serves the United States of America honorably should be "getting" coal in their stocking...:(

Well, now that I think about it, some of them will have no-one to "celebrate" with. Only wish NO Serviceman/woman would have to spend the "Holidays" alone.
Wish I could do/donate more...

Holly...Hmmmmmmmmmm......:lifter

nmap
11-09-2009, 16:54
It's all about quantity, Echoes.

One piece of coal isn't much of a gift. Even a ton of anthracite is a mere $30 or so. But 100 tons...now that's a great gift! :D

Moral: Don't be just a little naughty. Do it right, or don't do it all.

:D

Dozer523
11-09-2009, 17:07
an Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle! :D
Ralphie, You'll shoot your eye out!

Go Devil
11-09-2009, 17:24
I'm going small this year,

I would really appreciate the appropriate sling and kit for the item noted below.

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13415&d=1256644638

Or, a supply of 7.62X51 would be nice!

Snaquebite
11-09-2009, 17:36
Nothing personal, but always hated "Xmas" it's Christmas. Also no Holiday Trees like The One will have...They're Christmas Trees.

Anywho...I'm skipping Christmas.

Kyobanim
11-09-2009, 17:51
Christmas came early this year . . .

echoes
11-09-2009, 17:55
It's all about quantity, Echoes.

One piece of coal isn't much of a gift. Even a ton of anthracite is a mere $30 or so. But 100 tons...now that's a great gift! :D

Moral: Don't be just a little naughty. Do it right, or don't do it all.

:D

Oh well, those that know, know I go all out!!!:D But heck NO! NO service man or woman shoud be dealing with coal in their stockings...:o

And Kyo...nice keys sir!

Holly

JJ_BPK
11-09-2009, 18:11
Nothing personal, but always hated "Xmas" it's Christmas.

Depends,, and no offence to you or your religion,,

BUT Xmas is almost as old as Christmas in Western Europe, and depending on where you stand in Eastern Europe,, it's older.

Here is a quick definition compiled from a couple sources.

Xmas

This abbreviation for Christmas is of Greek origin. The word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. The "X" in Xmas is from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of Χριστός, or Christ in Greek.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated in English for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as AD 1021.

This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ"), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ.

The labarum, an amalgamation of the two Greek letters rendered as ☧, is a symbol often used to represent Christ in Catholic, Protestant, and Orthodox Christian Churches.

During the 16th century, Europeans began using the first initial of Christ's name, "X" in place of the word Christ in Christmas as a shorthand form of the word.

The Oxford English Dictionary and OED Supplement have cited usages of "X-" or "Xp-" for "Christ-" in 1485 ("Xpian"), 1598 ("Xpian"), and "Xtian" in 1845, 1915 and 1940. It cites "Xtianity" usage in 1634, 1811 and 1966.

"Most of the evidence for these words comes from educated Englishmen who knew their Greek," according to Merriam-Webster's Dictionary of English Usage, referring to the OED citations.[10]

Although the early Christians understood that X stood for Christ's name, later Christians who did not understand the Greek language mistook "Xmas" as a sign of disrespect.

I am not a biblical scholar,, and I'm not here to argue,, just someone with a curious mind..

:)