PDA

View Full Version : Hiking Boots/Shoes

DCastro11b
10-10-2009, 14:17
I've tried to search this around, but no such luck. I was just wondering if there are any recommendations for hiking boots / shoes? Especially ones that will last a while. I'm leaning toward some Merrell's but open to other recommendations. Thanks for the help.

Surgicalcric
10-10-2009, 14:22
What do you plan on using them for: casual wear, hiking, patrolling, urban operations, etc?

The Merrell Sawtooths are okay for light hikers. ASOLO FSN95GTX are more rugged and have better ankle support with a wider heel than some of their other offerings. The Salomon Quest 4D GTX is also a contender in the hiking/trekking category. I have been wearing them for the past few months while rucking and, other than them being quite warm, they are quickly becoming a favorite of mine. The Hanwag Mountain Lite GTX is also a great boot for trekking/hiking but they are the most expensive as well.

One thing to remember about hiking boots, especially if you are intending on doing any amount of serious hiking/trekking, they should be fitted to your foot just like a good running show.

my.02...

Crip

DCastro11b
10-10-2009, 14:35
What do you plan on using them for: casual wear, hiking, patrolling, urban operations, etc?

The Merrell Sawtooths are okay for light hikers. ASOLO FSN95GTX are more rugged and have better ankle support with a wider foot bed than some of AOLO's other offering. I have been wearing the Salomon Quest 4D GTX for the past few months while rucking and other than them being quite warm they are quickly becoming a favorite of mine.

I'm looking at using 'em more for urban operations and rucking. I intend to use them for when I'm on my feet for long periods of time and humping some weight. Thanks for the reply...I will definately look into the one's listed.

rwd
10-10-2009, 18:08
If you're leaning more towards use in urban terrain, the Garmont Flash III XCR are an excellent boot. However the soles are too soft for a ruck in excess of ~50lbs. A great urban boot, though.

My heavy boots are Scarpa SL M3. And I mean heavy: they weigh nearly 4lbs, but, fitted properly, they're the best and most durable boots I've ever owned.

Max_Tab
10-11-2009, 19:54
For urban terrain, in a warm weather, try the Merrel Ventilators. I am on my second pair.

Stras
10-12-2009, 03:10
We tested these boots for 10th SFG(A) in 1995, and then got them issued to us. I've worn them for everything from walking the continental divide in snow, to jumping, rural and urban ops, and light mountaineering. they rock.. I don't recommend trying to swim in them though.

They are the only boots I wear to ride my Harley, with the exception of my Army Desert Boots.

I'm on pair #2 of 7 pairs. finally retired the test pair in 2005 after 2 re-soles.

I'm searching for more of them, so I don't run out of them in my lifetime.

Plutarch
10-12-2009, 08:22
http://www.zamberlan.com/index.html

Zamberlan makes a great product. I have several pair and am very satisfied with them.

NoRoadtrippin
10-12-2009, 20:07
As Cric hinted at, the key to picking out boots is that they should fit you just as a pair of running shoes should.

So it doesn't seem I talking out of my fifth point of contact...As a disclaimer, my undergrad degree is in Outdoor Leadership, I have 3 years of retail experience in an outfitter shop, and have been leading/outfitting others for a number of years in addition to my own personal trips...

When you walk into a shop or order some boots, you need to think about the size of your fit. Lots of people make a good boot that will last awhile. You need to think about your foot...is it wide, narrow, low volume, high volume?

The Asolos mentioned by Cric are Italian. I love them myself. I have the older model of the boot he is suggesting. They are great, but my foot has a rather narrow heel.

Garmont, OTOH, is an American boot and uses a more "American" last, i.e. its wider both in the toe and heel.

Just some things to think about...boots and shoes are not something to buy solely based on another's experience. You really should get a good fitting in multiple brands/styles and then decide from there.

My .02

CoolT
11-12-2009, 18:18
I'm in the market for a boot that I can wear in AS. I want to make sure that I get something that is approved and comes recommended from those that have been there. I'm currently wearing and rucking with some Blackhawk army approved boots but there has got to be something better. Any ideas?

The Reaper
11-12-2009, 18:25
I'm in the market for a boot that I can wear in AS. I want to make sure that I get something that is approved and comes recommended from those that have been there. I'm currently wearing and rucking with some Blackhawk army approved boots but there has got to be something better. Any ideas?

Search button broken, or just looking for personal assistance?

TR

CoolT
11-13-2009, 07:54
Search button worked wonders. During my research I caught on to the theme.......all questions have already been asked and answered. Thanks.

The Reaper
11-13-2009, 13:59
Search button worked wonders. During my research I caught on to the theme.......all questions have already been asked and answered. Thanks.

Unless you have an original one, and you should still search before asking just to verify.

Best of luck.

TR

crash
04-18-2010, 10:15
For urban terrain, in a warm weather, try the Merrel Ventilators. I am on my second pair.

These are nice, I wear the shoes almost everyday, and the high tops when I go hiking, no problems so far.

Koa18B
04-20-2010, 23:20
Be sure to double check with you CC. I came from the Deuce and was with 1st Bn They very by the book and anti-anything non-issue.

Just a recommendation to hopefully save you some $

dac
04-21-2010, 00:52
Not to beat a dead horse, but I am looking at the Asolo 520 gtx? Has anyone used these? My search turned up several recommendations of the ASOLO FSN95GTX , but I prefer leather.

I have those and I love them. Very comfortable for extended walking, I have not done any mountaineering though.

ZoneOne
05-14-2010, 15:37
Took a pair of Keen Targhees through ISTC SERE and my feet loved them.

We had some good movements that destroyed many Soldiers feet.

I've liked Keens since the day I tried them on due to their rounded toe that fits more natural IMO.

DCastro11b
06-12-2010, 05:47
Be sure to double check with you CC. I came from the Deuce and was with 1st Bn They very by the book and anti-anything non-issue.

Just a recommendation to hopefully save you some $

They sure are...things are a little more leaniant with 2nd ID.

WarriorDiplomat
07-05-2010, 19:29
We tested these boots for 10th SFG(A) in 1995, and then got them issued to us. I've worn them for everything from walking the continental divide in snow, to jumping, rural and urban ops, and light mountaineering. they rock.. I don't recommend trying to swim in them though.

They are the only boots I wear to ride my Harley, with the exception of my Army Desert Boots.

I'm on pair #2 of 7 pairs. finally retired the test pair in 2005 after 2 re-soles.

I'm searching for more of them, so I don't run out of them in my lifetime.

Still got mine brother I summited Pikes Peak twice this month in them and have never had ankle or foot issues going up or down. Tried Merrill light hikers great for going up etc..but are barely lighter than the Raichleis Stras mentioned but have next to no ankle support compared (sprained my ankles running down). Didn't realize how great they were until a mountain team got a new set of another brand that were 3x as heavy. Best boots I ever had for mountaineering I have had this pair for 7 years now.