PDA

View Full Version : peppers

mffjm8509
07-17-2004, 20:11
I picked up a few pepper plants for the garden this year, cayenne and habenero. Now I've picked a couple of the cayennes and really dont know how to use them.

Do I have to dry or roast them before I use them or can I add them to dishes as they are?

Any pepper experts advice?

mp

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 20:17
Just chew on a few of them Team Sergeant!! It puts hair on your chest! LOL

Just kidding, I mainly use cayanne pepper as a spice, so it would be dehydrated and ground them up for future use. I am sure they can be used quite wonderfully fresh. I will :munchin for the experts to post.

mffjm8509
07-17-2004, 20:29
I'm smoking some ribs and a pork shoulder tommorow.

How would they be if I left them on the top rack for a while isntead of using a dehydrator?

mp

Smokin Joe
07-17-2004, 20:37
Try diceing some up (just a few) and use them as a chilli rub on the ribs.

I got a mean recipe for Pico De Gallo salas. That you can use the Habenero's in I'll put it in another thread.

Team Sergeant
07-17-2004, 20:37
I'm not sure about the uses of the whole cayenne pepper in food, i'll also wait for someone else to chime in.

I do know while preparing dishes using the habeneros it's a damn good idea to wear surgical gloves while slicing them up! I've yet to find anything that really washes off the habenero oil after cutting them up.

Polar Bear
07-17-2004, 20:49
Originally posted by mffjm8509
I picked up a few pepper plants for the garden this year, cayenne and habenero. Now I've picked a couple of the cayennes and really dont know how to use them.

Do I have to dry or roast them before I use them or can I add them to dishes as they are?

Any pepper experts advice?

mp

I am no expert but I just add them to just about everything. About half the time I just slice them and just eat them raw with whatever I am eating. I think Mr Harsey is our resident expert.

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 20:53
stole from web to save typing time....

10 large fresh red cayenne chiles
2 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
3/4 cup white vinegar
Salt

Cut stems off peppers and cut peppers in half lengthwise. Remove seeds and ribs. Preheat broiler. Place peppers, cut side down, on rack in broiler pan. Broil for about 5 minutes or until the skin blisters and blackens. Transfer peppers to a plastic bag for about 10 minutes. When cool, peel off skins.

Place chile pulp and garlic in a blender or food processor. With machine running, slowly add the vinegar until the mixture is well blended. Add salt to taste. Cover and refrigerate. Will keep in the refrigerator for weeks.
Makes about 1 cup of cayenne pepper hot sauce.
**seeds and ribs are hottest part, leave some in for REALLY hot sauce

***Storage TIP: Store fresh cayenne peppers in a paper bag in the refrigerator