PDA

View Full Version : Advice/guidance would be appreciated

ofalax32
10-07-2009, 13:31
Hello all,

I recently signed my contract for 11x option 4, ship date January 20, 2010. A little backround to my situation: I was enrolled in ROTC in 2008 and was mislead as far as scholarship and requested seperation to pursue an 18x contract to ship November 20, 2008. Needless to say they took their sweet time and I was recently released from my ROTC obligation and able to sign an enlisted contract on September 10,2009 only to find out no open slots for 18x this fiscal year and well into 2010. Upon this dilemma I decided to take the closest/soonest date to keep my dream alive. In closing I would like to throw out the question is there any likelyhood for me to request and recieve a chance to try-out for special forces in OSUT or Airbourne or must I wait to drop a packet at my duty station

Additional Info:
93 on ASVAB
regular pt scores of 300 while in ROTC
College credits to attain rank of E-3

If anyone at all could shed some light on either my chances or course of action would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Surgicalcric
10-07-2009, 14:07
...is there any likelyhood for me to request and recieve a chance to try-out for special forces in OSUT or Airborne or must I wait to drop a packet at my duty station...

Did you search for the answer before asking? I know its been covered at least once before...

Since I am in an especially good mood today... The answer is, there isn't a definite answer. People have been allowed to change their contract in OSUT in the past; others have tried to no avail.

My advice to you is to do your best at everything. If/when the SF Liaison at Ft. Benning comes by to talk to the 18X's ask your DS if you can speak to the Liaison then present your case to the Liaison. He will be the one who can make it happen, or not.

In the future you need to do your own research. We arent opposed to answering questions - providing they are well thought out and previously researched - but we arent here to answer the same ones over and again. We are looking for self-motivated, self-reliant, and self-starters, not those requiring someone to lead them around by the hand...

Go do PT...

Crip

greenberetTFS
10-07-2009, 15:12
Did you search for the answer before asking? I know its been covered at least once before...

Since I am in an especially good mood today... The answer is, there isnt a definite answer. People have been allowed to do change their contract in OSUT before; others have said they tried and was told no.

My advice to you is to do your best at everything. If/when the SF Liaison at Benning comes by to talk to the other 18X's ask your DS if you can speak to the Liaison. Present your case to him. Chances are he will speak to your DS's and then decide yes or no...

Crip

It's a good thing your in a good mood today Crip......:) I would have told him to do more searching before asking questions they have already been answered by QP's...:cool: You've been more than generous to this young tiger.......;)

Big Teddy :munchin

hypereclipse21
10-07-2009, 16:00
I do not have any advice to offer, as I am only in the enlistment process at this time. First, thank you for enlisting to serve our country. However, I am certain there are 18x contracts available, especially considering FY '10 began one week ago. Perhaps you should have stood your ground by making it perfectly clear you would not sign anything but an 18x contract.

Back to reading, PT; back into my lane.

Scimitar
10-07-2009, 16:28
Ofalax.

There are definitely 18X contract available and will be for some time. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for a recruiter and/or his station commander to not want to deal with an 18X contact. There is substantially more paperwork, higher chance of MEPS rejection, higher DEP loss % etc.

However recruiters do get 2 points instead of 1 for an 18X contract, but often they see it as not worth it.

Here's my advice.
1) Did you recruiter mislead you, maybe not, don't assume he did.

2) Approach your recruiter and say that you have had it confirmed by a contact thru Fort Knox that there are AD 18X contract available and that you fully understand the "misunderstanding" and that "recruiting is an extremely complicated business and s**t happens". Don't accuse him of misleading you, just assume he was mistaken.

3) Request a change in contract. You can do this, no mater what they say, you can do this. Make sure that on any paperwork you sign it says the reason you want to change you contract is due to being "accidentally misinformed by your recruiter about the availability of the 18X contract". "Jumping ship" can look bad. Make sure it says this or something very similar, the blame should NICELY be put on your recruiter not you.

If you have any problems there are other options to remedy this. You want an 18X contract you deserve the right to attempt to get one. Please advise me of your progression happy to help if you hit any walls.

BTW. is it possible that you might not have qualified for an 18X contract, is there anything that may be an issue in view of Spec Op Med Regs or Security Clearance? I doubt it as you did get ROTC which has similar requirements, but always best to ask. It is possible your recruiter steered you away from 18X as he realised you couldn't get it?

HTH

Scimitar

ofalax32
10-07-2009, 16:52
My recruiter acctually pushed really hard for me to get an 18x contract filled out all the security paperwork and even talked to the security interviewer at MEPS to see if I would clear and I did, as I had been charged with a felony,misdemenor,violation and traffic ticket all stemming from a traffic accident which all was reduced to two counts of disorderly conduct minor non traffic violation. He even called the rock and when I was at MEPs still no 18x ship dates in the fist half of 2010. And as I had stated earlier I have been waiting for a year now to be released from my ROTC contract to enlist.

Scimitar
10-07-2009, 17:07
PM'd

LongWire
10-07-2009, 18:43
Upon this dilemma I decided to take the closest/soonest date to keep my dream alive.

Wow, that was a HUGE Dilemma.....but you were the guy who drove the car off the lot anyways fully knowing that it's not what you wanted.

He even called the rock

The Rock???? I Love that Guy!!!!!

Seriously........2 counts of disorderly conduct???? From a traffic violation?

WTF is this about??

ofalax32
10-07-2009, 19:31
It was two counts of dis con i pled to instead of- felony tampering with evidence, misdemenor falsely reporting an incident and violation possesion of alcohol under 21 which was dropped becuase I had thrown beer in the woods following a traffic accident.

Dozer523
10-07-2009, 20:47
My recruiter acctually pushed really hard for me to get an 18x contract filled out all the security paperwork and even talked to the security interviewer at MEPS to see if I would clear and I did, as I had been charged with a felony,misdemenor,violation and traffic ticket all stemming from a traffic accident which all was reduced to two counts of disorderly conduct minor non traffic violation. He even called the rock and when I was at MEPs still no 18x ship dates in the fist half of 2010. And as I had stated earlier I have been waiting for a year now to be released from my ROTC contract to enlist.
Does any of this make sense to anyone? Is there some strange alignment of planets, black holes and alien mother ships? If so, why weren't we told before hand? "Allie allie wanna be in, comes in?"
Look at he bright side, I guess . . . at least he has given up the Officer dream. I suspect the PMS might have different version.

LongWire, I'm icing down another case of beer. . .

ofalax32
10-07-2009, 21:56
The law violations came after I was seperated and not attending ROTC and during the wait to recieve my discharge papers. Not totally sure what you are infering by the cosmic referances but, I was simply just asking the likelyhood of obtaining an SF contract as stated in my original post. As for pertaining to the law violations I was told by MEPS I would be eligable for a security clearance as the charges though severe had been reduced to minor non-traffic violations.

Scimitar
10-08-2009, 00:06
Honest opinion...

'They' said you where eligible for an interim clearance and you have the ASVAB for an 18X contract.

I am pretty in touch with the 18X contract and have never heard of it being suspended at any point, recently anyway. It may have but honestly I'm 95% sure I would have heard about it.

So…either...
1) You recruiter is playing politics with you
2) He didn't look out far enough down the time frame to find an open slot. i.e. We had to get Knox to open up an 18X contract for me as it was booked out for 3 months in advance at that point in time.
3) Your recruiter was either messed with by higher-up or higher-up got it wrong.

Either way, if I where you, get an 18X contract. You CAN get it changed and you can blame the system for an error as your reason. DO NOT let them blame you; command may not want to give it to you if the reason stated is “I changed my mind”.

Make sure the reason on the documentation says something like "Was accidentally misinformed by recruiter about the availability of the 18X contract at my time of enlistment". Don't take the fall for it and stand your ground. Let the recruiter expend political capital, don’t burn yours.

Just go to your recruiter and advice him nicely that you have been told that 18X was available and IS currently available, that you understand recruiting is complicated and that an understandable mistake was made and that you'd like to do a 'Reno' to an 18X contract (how’s that for a run on sentence).

If he tries to talk you out of it simple say its with-in your rights to request a change of contract under these circumstances and that you'd like to.

If he still messes you around. Just say "OK, I'll stick with the 11X" and then go over his head to the CO. You are the customer, get what you want and don't be afraid to burn a relationship or two if necessary. The CO won’t care what you go as, his only concern will be that you might DEP loss, i.e. walk away from your contract.

I’d go in making vague indications (and I mean vague) that you might walk away and good chance they’ll jump through hoops to get you an 18X Reno.

Take action and let me know how it goes. I have contacts that I can get advice from on how to navigate the scenario if you have no luck with this.

HTH

Scimitar

P.S. how old are you exactly ofalax?

Dozer523
10-08-2009, 05:54
The law violations came after I was seperated and not attending ROTC and during the wait to recieve my discharge papers. Not totally sure what you are infering by the cosmic referances but, I was simply just asking the likelyhood of obtaining an SF contract as stated in my original post. As for pertaining to the law violations I was told by MEPS I would be eligable for a security clearance as the charges though severe had been reduced to minor non-traffic violations. Not really surprised you don't understand that reference, Can't really talk too much about it (it's an SF thing. If I get too far into it upper appendages and security containers might get involved.) But, I can say this: it was a comment meant for the QPs. -- It seems we are experiencing a statistical phenomenon where there are an abnormally high number (an "outlier") of individuals who post an introduction immediately followed by a question. And, then, expect the entire SF assemblage to solve a self-inflicted problems.
It just seems to me that you seem to think no one is looking out for you, everyone lies to you, no one understands "It's not my fault" as Jake Blues would say. I probably fit into the pattern of your life, sorry.
Four pieces of advice:
1. Don't expect/demand of others what you won't do for yourself
2. Understand that everything that happens to you is your fault. You either caused it or failed to prevent it.
3. You can study for the ASVAB. A 93 sounds great when 100 is max. You can get at least 37 points higher.
4. Don't reply to this post.
Good luck.

ZonieDiver
10-08-2009, 10:26
Quote from olafax32: The law violations came after I was seperated and not attending ROTC and during the wait to recieve my discharge papers. Not totally sure what you are infering (note - it should be "implying" - Dozer implied - you inferred) by the cosmic referances but, I was simply just asking the likelyhood of obtaining an SF contract as stated in my original post. As for pertaining to the law violations I was told by MEPS I would be eligable for a security clearance as the charges though severe had been reduced to minor non-traffic violations.

Not really surprised you don't understand that reference, Can't really talk too much about it (it's an SF thing. If I get too far into it upper appendages and security containers might get involved.) But, I can say this: it was a comment meant for the QPs. -- It seems we are experiencing a statistical phenomenon where there are an abnormally high number (an "outlier") of individuals who post an introduction immediately followed by a question. And, then, expect the entire SF assemblage to solve a self-inflicted problems.
It just seems to me that you seem to think no one is looking out for you, everyone lies to you, no one understands "It's not my fault" as Jake Blues would say. I probably fit into the pattern of your life, sorry.
Four pieces of advice:
1. Don't expect/demand of others what you won't do for yourself
2. Understand that everything that happens to you is your fault. You either caused it or failed to prevent it.
3. You can study for the ASVAB. A 93 sounds great when 100 is max. You can get at least 37 points higher.
4. Don't reply to this post.
Good luck.

Ditto to Dozer's eloquently stated points. I would add one additional comment: Use spellchecker.

FSUhockey
10-08-2009, 11:32
...sign an enlisted contract on September 10,2009 only to find out no open slots for 18x this fiscal year and well into 2010. Upon this dilemma I decided to take the closest/soonest date to keep my dream alive.

I signed an 18X contract two weeks before you signed 11X and reserved one of the last few slots available for February. Another applicant had a slot reserved for March but was DQ'd during the security interview. As you stated there were no open slots well into 2010, but there were slots right? If SF is your dream I would think you wouldn't mind delaying your enlistment just a few months to get an 18X contract.

csquare
10-08-2009, 12:55
If you wanted a 18X contract, you should had waited. If you didn't want to wait for some personal, financial or other reason... that is your fault. You decided your fate by signing the 11X contract. But if, and I mean if, you really want to go 18X. Then don't take the first "no" and get it changed.
Then I would use the extra time to get into better shape and prepare. And also, read more and post less.