PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a mentor in the Los Angeles area!

JoshL
10-06-2009, 19:57
Hi,

I'm currently a 23 year old student, who has been training for the 18x program for about the last three years of me life. My recruiter has been absolutley no help, with anything or having any knowledge towards the program or what I'm trying to do. When I spoke to him, I had more information about what the prgroam was about, than he did, besides a couple of panphlets he gave me. Most my knowledge comes from the internet and books that I have read.

I have tried calling the army recruiting command, and sending e-mails out to to many places, to find someone who knows first hand or has extensive information about the program and training. Up to this point I have done everything on my own and I'm getting ready to continue it this way.

I just wish it were possible to find someone around here who can at least meet with me in person or talk to me through e-mails or chat, that can help me with a little with what I am doing.

If there is anyone in the Los Angeles area, please contact me... you dont know how much it would mean to me. Maybe even be able to go for a ruck or a run sometime. I have no army experience whatsoever, so a mentor would be such an incredible thing for me and help me so much. I have been preparing myself with knowledge from books, this forum, the internet. I know that out there somewhere there is someone near me who can help me a little and I really ask for your help!

I have no other way to do this, so this is like my last hope, I have even called North Carolina recruiting command for help with something likes, and had no luck so please if your out there... let me know!

(If money is something it would take, then let me know.)

Thank you so much for you time.
God Bless

Richard
10-06-2009, 20:10
Another non-reader. :rolleyes:

Tryouts for California NG SF

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=287505#post287505

PM 18C4V.

Richard

18C4V
10-06-2009, 20:52
I suggest you come to our tryouts for several reasons.

1. You'll get a snap shot of what's expected of you phsycially.

2. You'll meet a lot of guys who you can network for work out partners

3. You maybe can swing a deal with the NCOIC of the training det to hang out and get some good training before you ship out.

The Reaper
10-06-2009, 20:57
Your best mentor is the one you see in the mirror every morning.

TR

wet dog
10-06-2009, 20:58
If there is anyone in the Los Angeles area, please contact me... you dont know how much it would mean to me. Maybe even be able to go for a ruck or a run sometime. I have no army experience whatsoever, so a mentor would be such an incredible thing for me and help me so much.

I have no other way to do this, so this is like my last hope, I have even called North Carolina recruiting command for help with something likes, and had no luck so please if your out there... let me know!

I can think of only one guy in the LA area who might be able to help. If you're getting no response from the Army, try the Marines, they are always looking for a few good men, age 23, perfect.

Stras
10-06-2009, 20:59
Hi,

I'm currently a 23 year old student, who has been training for the 18x program for about the last three years of me life. My recruiter has been absolutley no help, with anything or having any knowledge towards the program or what I'm trying to do. When I spoke to him, I had more information about what the prgroam was about, than he did, besides a couple of panphlets he gave me. Most my knowledge comes from the internet and books that I have read.

I have tried calling the army recruiting command, and sending e-mails out to to many places, to find someone who knows first hand or has extensive information about the program and training. Up to this point I have done everything on my own and I'm getting ready to continue it this way.

I just wish it were possible to find someone around here who can at least meet with me in person or talk to me through e-mails or chat, that can help me with a little with what I am doing.

If there is anyone in the Los Angeles area, please contact me... you dont know how much it would mean to me. Maybe even be able to go for a ruck or a run sometime. I have no army experience whatsoever, so a mentor would be such an incredible thing for me and help me so much. I have been preparing myself with knowledge from books, this forum, the internet. I know that out there somewhere there is someone near me who can help me a little and I really ask for your help!

(If money is something it would take, then let me know.)

Thank you so much for you time.
God Bless

You're a 23yr old student?

Why don't you google SF Units??? I know of at least one that's close by to you. Another link would be Special Operations Recruiting Battalion (SORB).

Not sure what you're studying as a student, but attention to detail may be good to add to your studies. Your spelling of the english language could use some practice. Yes, it's a little thing..

We may help, but we won't do the homework for you.

Stras
10-06-2009, 21:00

3. You maybe can swing a deal with the NCOIC of the training det to hang out and get some good training before you ship out.

Nah, Just buy the SGM a case of German beer.... you're golden and don't need to show up for the try-outs... ;)

JoshL
10-06-2009, 23:05
Hey all,

Thank you for your responses. I apologize for my spelling and grammar. I have seen the tryout for the NG SF and it is something I considered but I guess I did not really clarify my situation.

I have not chosen a major because I have just been completing my general education courses. I have done this because, I am going to enlist as an 18x very soon. Colllege is not really something I want to do at this point in my life, my goal is to give everything I can at this program and try my best to make it through the pipline, knowing the odds completley against me. Im not enlisted in the army or any branch of service yet, so I dont think I would be able to attend the tryouts. At the same time im not sure how it works either because my recruiter has not explained anything to me.

I have been rucking and running through the hills and valleys of the area, using the tips that "Get Selected" has giving me. Im sorry if in some way I have sounded stupid or unaware of the "search" function, but I use it as much as possible.

I was really just looking for someone to help me out a bit before I sign the contract and head down the pipleline. I have been using google to find anyone or type of community near me that I can talk to someone who might be able to help. After reading your responses, I dont think that it is going to happen. I will just continue my training and get ready to enlist as planned. Thanks for the PM's of those of you who reccomened people. The PM i got about bieng able to ruck 26 miles throughout the mountains solo, or I will have no chance, I would just like to say that, I cant to do 26 with the 70 lbs in my alick pack but I'm getting close to 20.

Again, thank you for your responses and if anyone in the Los Angeles area (West Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Venice Beach/Culver City) might catch this post... please throw me a PM as I will be enlisting soon.

Thanks again! ( sorry for the poor grammar)

Guy
10-06-2009, 23:47

Stay safe.

Richard
10-07-2009, 04:40
Guy - exactly! College!!! :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

LongWire
10-07-2009, 04:57

X3..........Thats One Hell of an Opportunity that I Would Not Pass Up. Or you can continue to stumble around on your own.

When most of us came in, we didn't have the advantage of the Internet to answer questions let alone come out to train.

Choices....................You asked for the mentor, You'd be a fool to turn this away.

But, what do I know?.......I never went to College.

Dozer523
10-07-2009, 05:11
The PM i got about bieng able to ruck 26 miles throughout the mountains solo, or I will have no chance, I would just like to say that, I cant to do 26 with the 70 lbs in my alick pack but I'm getting close to 20. Thanks again! ( sorry for the poor grammar) I really had no intention of posting on this thread. I guess I'm still riding the "runner's high" from the quality time I spent with Novice Snowflake:p (Now THAT was fun!). But this is a safety issue.:eek:
Josh, dear lad (grammatically, spelling and conventions challenged sweet lad) I recommend, advise, urge you sincerely, not to attempt a 26 mile rucksack march with a 70 pound ruck through the local Angles Mountains. Since all you are managing is 20 pounds now, if you attempt this, you will die. Your body will never be found as it will be fought over by the mountain lions and cannibals; and your bones used for satanic rituals, then made into necklaces sold by odd people along Venice Beach. (Trust me, I have a gift for predicting some people's futures. I just have that feeling about you.:()
Note to PM-ers. We don't really want everyone to get what they deserve.:mad:

Surgicalcric
10-07-2009, 05:32
Hey all,

My name is Josh, and I read these forums alot....

Josh:

18C4V's offer to you is the best you are going to find, anywhere. You should take him up on it.

I also suggest you do more reading here before posting again. There are quite a few threads here discussing mentoring, rucking (weights and distances), running, foot care, work-outs, etc...

Crip

frostfire
10-07-2009, 20:34
Im not enlisted in the army or any branch of service yet, so I dont think I would be able to attend the tryouts. At the same time im not sure how it works either because my recruiter has not explained anything to me.

A/5/19th is having their tryouts at two separate locations on 21 Nov 09. One location will be in the Bay Area and the other in Southern California. This is only open to male servicemen or male civilians.

good grief....
The tryouts is at your backyard. What I would give to be in your place...

cornelyj
10-07-2009, 22:58
good grief....
The tryouts is at your backyard. What I would give to be in your place...

You are lucky, I concur! I would definitely be there if anything just to be the towel boy and talk to some people in green.

Back to my lane in the corner with my books.

greenberetTFS
10-08-2009, 00:57
You claim you like to read,may I suggest "Get Selected for Special Forces"...It can be purchased at www.warrior-mentor.com.It's a great book and I wish I had it when going through SFTG.....It's the bible of the Special Forces on how to successfully complete assessment and selection.......;)

Big Teddy :munchin

LR27
10-08-2009, 12:53
While 18C4V's offer is the best you're going to get, and I agree with TR as far as self-motivation, I'm in West LA and I wouldn't mind bringing you along on a ruck. I ruck and run several times a week with a 19th SFG member; both of us have been through SFAS and will be going to the SFQC soon.

PM me if you're interested.

Dozer523
10-08-2009, 14:52
You are lucky, I concur! I would definitely be there if anything just to be the towel boy and talk to some people in green. Back to my lane in the corner with my books.
I'm not touching this one, even with a stick!
But, it sure is funny.:):D

Richard
10-08-2009, 15:28
I hear Roman Polanski heard there's a need for French speakers and is thinking of trying out now that he's going to be back in Kalifornia - maybe he can mentor this guy. :rolleyes:

Richard

rltipton
10-09-2009, 06:43
Hey all,

Thank you for your responses. I apologize for my spelling and grammar. I have seen the tryout for the NG SF and it is something I considered but I guess I did not really clarify my situation.

I have not chosen a major because I have just been completing my general education courses. I have done this because, I am going to enlist as an 18x very soon. Colllege is not really something I want to do at this point in my life, my goal is to give everything I can at this program and try my best to make it through the pipline, knowing the odds completley against me. Im not enlisted in the army or any branch of service yet, so I dont think I would be able to attend the tryouts. At the same time im not sure how it works either because my recruiter has not explained anything to me.

I have been rucking and running through the hills and valleys of the area, using the tips that "Get Selected" has giving me. Im sorry if in some way I have sounded stupid or unaware of the "search" function, but I use it as much as possible.

I was really just looking for someone to help me out a bit before I sign the contract and head down the pipleline. I have been using google to find anyone or type of community near me that I can talk to someone who might be able to help. After reading your responses, I dont think that it is going to happen. I will just continue my training and get ready to enlist as planned. Thanks for the PM's of those of you who reccomened people. The PM i got about bieng able to ruck 26 miles throughout the mountains solo, or I will have no chance, I would just like to say that, I cant to do 26 with the 70 lbs in my alick pack but I'm getting close to 20.

Again, thank you for your responses and if anyone in the Los Angeles area (West Hollywood/Beverly Hills/Venice Beach/Culver City) might catch this post... please throw me a PM as I will be enlisting soon.

Thanks again! ( sorry for the poor grammar)

Perhaps you should go re-read my PM. Honesty goes a long way, young man. You might want to get that into your head while you are cleaning up your grammar and working on improving your reading comprehension skills. Maintain your current mindset and not only will you not be physically or mentally prepared, but you are an honor code violation waiting to happen. That is a very quick way to get sent back to leg land.

Good luck. You need it.

JoshL
10-09-2009, 22:49
Thanks all for your responses. I really appreciate them, and with all honesty, for some reason on the computer when I'm on the forums or playing games I just type without fixing anything or looking back at how I'm typing. Kind of like a bad habit that I developed, but my scores on the ASVAB in those area's are well above whats required.

I'm going to need alot of luck, I'm giving up everything for what I'm going to do, and trying my hardest to prepare myself to cancel out any of that reasons that might make me fail. This is the profession that I have chosen to pursue and I will do what ever it takes to become a professional at it. I want this more than anything, and Im going to prove that to myself and hope that it will be noticed by others. I'm doing this alone and no one agrees with my decisions, I understand that I have no idea how much physical and mental power that it is going to take to complete the pipline. I have no idea if I will even make it, or be chosen to ever experience it either. I told myself I will never give up, and I have been sticking to that so far.

With the help of books, videos, and so much from these forum (stickies, your opinions, ect...) and the entire internet, I have gained and collected a huge amount of information that will help me accomplish this. I'm bieng very careful on how to prepare for the physical part of this pipeline and "Get Selected" has been giving me enormouse tips, along with these forums, which have given me the most information I could ever find, and my four Navy SEAL physical training books (lol). I having been doing fine thus far and trying my best not to develop any bad habits before basic. I just have absolutley no military training, but I have been adjusting well so far.

Again thank you for the PM's, and all the help. This is something that no matter what happens, I will always be alone and it has been like that for me since I decided that this is what I wanted. I read these forums alot, and understand what I will be going through. I just thought after all this time, it might be smart to maybe ask for a mentor before I ship out. So I appreciate everything and thank you again for your responses.

(Im really sorry for the poor grammar and spelling again!!! I hope I wont get anymore responses criticizing me on it, I will work on it.)

greyshade
10-10-2009, 20:57
JoshL,

My grammar may very well be worse than yours. I know on forums, and maybe just on the Internet in general, it's OK to have poor use of English so long as the message is understood. If you are legitimately rereading your posts and still not seeing the errors you are committing then you really should seek some help. By using the "preview post" button and pasting your work into MS Word you could eliminate some issues.

The implications of bad English could do more than merely taking heat on these forums. In the military we use e-mail as well. If your e-mails are written to the level that your posts are you may have your message misinterpreted. I cannot comment for the Army side, yet, but I can say in the Air Force there were times I contacted E-9s via e-mail. These e-mails involved my future; therefore, if I sent the E-9 a steaming pile of stuff, how does that make me look? Like the type of guy who the Chief Master Sergeant wants to help out? Or the guy who is too damn lazy to even reread e-mail? I recommend you put some of the effort that (I hope) you use to write college papers, into your overall writing. Editing your work is just a good habit to get into.

(off my soapbox)

Good luck bro, and Get Selected thus far has been the greatest resource I have found. I'll be down South early next year, hope to see you down there.

grey