PDA

View Full Version : Pat Rogers Article on "Quick Peeks" in SWAT Magazine

NousDefionsDoc
07-17-2004, 11:58
Outstanding article, at least in my opinion. I recommend it.

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 12:04
I was at the bookstore last night and missed that magazine in my free "survey" of firearm magazines.

BTW- anyone check out the latest Tactical Knife magazine. THere is an article claiming a knife is the model used for the SF crest. I can't remember what the name of is was off hand. I am going to search on this site and find the thread where you guys discussed this. See if I can stir my memory a little...

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 12:11
"used the design of the V-42 commando knife"

yep, that is the name of the knife in the article. Seemed like a good article... I think some manufacterer is about to start making some in CO. Of course, I would rather have a knife like NDD's and TR's latest addition as I believe it was the original design the V-42 was based on anyway.

WITH THE CORRECT DATE ON IT OF COURSE.....:cool: LOL

NousDefionsDoc
07-17-2004, 12:15
No, the V42 was based on the FS. Pat O'Neil would have been the key design input on the V42. The AF is an improved version of the FS that came out after both. I would say the AF is an Americanized (much better) version of the original FS. Stouter, more uses, fixed some of the original issues in the FS such as a weak tip.

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 12:18
:cool: thanks NDD

NousDefionsDoc
07-17-2004, 12:20
NP - but watch Mr. dd/mm/yyyy come in here and rip me to shreds. LOL

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 12:29
Originally posted by Airbornelawyer
Steeped in legend, but the answer isn't really clear. Three knives (stilettos, really) compete for the honor - the V-42 used by the First Special Service Force, the Fairbairn-Sykes used by Rangers and the OSS dagger. All were ultimately based on the Fairbairn-Sykes, though.
It appears AL posted a corroborated answer in the old thread. You were right NDD.

NousDefionsDoc
07-21-2004, 11:44
In the same issue, there's also a good article on basic stress management by Jeff Gonzalez. Jeff is a former SquEAL and is well thought of in training circles.

Blackjack78
07-21-2004, 13:02
Pat is a good man and an excellent trainer as well.

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 22:09
NDD-

I read the articles (Gonzalez and Rodgers). I really enjoyed the Roger's one on Quick peaks (well, reasons why not to ever do it actually).

How do you personally recommend maintaining body position/weapon position when in a high threat environment? Do you teach and preach the position that he had pictured at the beginning of the article? The one where elbows are in, pistol almost on chest, weapon pointed at highest priority threat area???

I saw where he stated its possible to shoot from this safety position if at physical "contact" distance, but otherwise to extend arms and obtain a "flash site picture". Does this jive with your beliefs? How about you, Team Sergeant? This article was written as an offensive hallway clearing scenario. Would this extreme close range form of point shooting be the only acceptable time to not obtain a flash front site?

Huey14
07-22-2004, 22:17
Is SWAT Mag available to Civvies and outside of the US?

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 22:28
Originally posted by Huey14
Is SWAT Mag available to Civvies?
Yes
Originally posted by Huey14
Is SWAT Mag available outside of the US?
NDD is outside the US.

Air.177
07-23-2004, 00:00
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
In the same issue, there's also a good article on basic stress management by Jeff Gonzalez. Jeff is a former SquEAL and is well thought of in training circles.

I can Vouch for him. He was one of my Gunsite Instructors back in '01. He does a DAMN good job if I may Say so.

Huey14
07-23-2004, 00:12
Originally posted by Sacamuelas

NDD is outside the US.

Why yes he is, but he's not that far away compared to my location ;)

NousDefionsDoc
07-23-2004, 06:56
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
NDD-

I read the articles (Gonzalez and Rodgers). I really enjoyed the Roger's one on Quick peaks (well, reasons why not to ever do it actually).

How do you personally recommend maintaining body position/weapon position when in a high threat environment? Do you teach and preach the position that he had pictured at the beginning of the article? The one where elbows are in, pistol almost on chest, weapon pointed at highest priority threat area???

I saw where he stated its possible to shoot from this safety position if at physical "contact" distance, but otherwise to extend arms and obtain a "flash site picture". Does this jive with your beliefs? How about you, Team Sergeant? This article was written as an offensive hallway clearing scenario. Would this extreme close range form of point shooting be the only acceptable time to not obtain a flash front site?

Yes, although I tend to lower the barrel just a little to keep from flagging good guys. Somewhat of a modified low ready, call it a medium ready. Also, pieing the corners can be really fast with practice. Usually when you see it demonstrated at a school, it looks slow, but it doesn't have to be.

Speed, surprise and violence of action - whatever gets you to that place.:D

Sacamuelas
07-23-2004, 07:59
NDD-
If you like that mag, their website is offering FREE to the public back issue articles. YOu can click on them, fill out a quick info section ( real or made up) except your email address, and they send you a link to view the articles as a adobe .pdf file.

Here is one by Rogers on proper carbine positioning... comments?
Username: SWATrocks
Password: watchsix

http://www.swatmag.com/shop/media/downloads/51F4767903-SnapShots_02_05.pdf

NousDefionsDoc
07-23-2004, 08:22
Cool, thanks.

I'll read the whole thing later, but I can tell you right now, I don't like that off hand grip on the mag well/mag. You start finger fookin' an M4 mag, you're going to have feed problems. I've seen it a million times.

VMI_Marine
07-23-2004, 13:10
One thing I see that I most definitely agree with is using the support hand to operate the charging handle. I hook the catch with the index finger of my support hand and pull, and with the exception of performing remedial action, I have no need to remove my firing hand from the pistol grip. Using the strong side hand to manipulate magazines, work the charging handle, and "thumbing" the bolt catch are a few of the bad habits that Marines pick up at the KD range. It would be nice to see the field firing portion of the rifle range turn into a week-long block of instruction and qualification on no-shit combat shooting.

NousDefionsDoc
07-23-2004, 14:09
I realize there is always a "best" way to do these things. My take on the off hand is I don't really care how they do it as long as they get it done quickly and smoothly. The reason I don't like the offhand on the mag is it makes the weapon malfunction.

From what I hear and can imagine, the SOG guys could change a CAR 15 mag faster than Billy the Kid could go for his guns. I'd like to hear their take on this.

VMI - are you guys carrying secondary weapons?

Guy
07-24-2004, 11:29
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Cool, thanks.

I'll read the whole thing later, but I can tell you right now, I don't like that off hand grip on the mag well/mag. You start finger fookin' an M4 mag, you're going to have feed problems. I've seen it a million times.

I agree.

If you are more comfortable with pulling the weapon in, to keep it seated in the pocket of the shoulder with your off-hand.

Just slide back on the hand-gaurds until the knife edge of your off-hand is making contact with just the magazine well and not the magazine.

VMI_Marine
07-24-2004, 17:18
I never had a problem with grasping the mag well, but I haven't fired the amount of rounds that you and Guy have, so I'll defer to your experience. Negative on secondary weapons, although I am going to try to take a 1911 with me on the next go-round.

The Reaper
07-24-2004, 18:46
Originally posted by VMI_Marine
I never had a problem with grasping the mag well, but I haven't fired the amount of rounds that you and Guy have, so I'll defer to your experience. Negative on secondary weapons, although I am going to try to take a 1911 with me on the next go-round.

Do not take a POW with you, you are better off trying to pick one up in country, then you can dump it when you leave.

TR

Guy
07-26-2004, 18:06
Originally posted by The Reaper
Do not take a POW with you, you are better off trying to pick one up in country, then you can dump it when you leave.

TR

Look for 9mm...easier to acquire rounds Sir.;)

MP...MP, look what I have to trade.:D

Psywar1-0
08-07-2004, 13:40
Originally posted by Blackjack78
Pat is a good man and an excellent trainer as well.

Totally agree, just spent the last 6 days learning from him. Im humbled by what I thought I knew, and 1000% better now.

GackMan
08-09-2004, 00:34
Originally posted by Psywar1-0
Totally agree, just spent the last 6 days learning from him. Im humbled by what I thought I knew, and 1000% better now.

Were you in class with this guy?

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/shooter2_indy/carbine04.html