PDA

View Full Version : Chukars and Huns

mark46th
10-03-2009, 23:11
Chukar season opens Saturday the 10th of October...This can be some rugged bird hunting. They run up the mountains to get away, when you go up after them, they fly back down and laugh at you....

mojaveman
10-03-2009, 23:20
What mountains are you talking about?

Just curious. I'm also a hunter and live in Socal.

mark46th
10-04-2009, 08:15
I am going to Nevada- from North central up towards the Oregon border....There are some in California, the best place is out by Randsburg, but there are a lot of hunters out there. There are also a few out in the mountains around Ludlow.

Crikey
10-06-2009, 11:41
I am going to Nevada- from North central up towards the Oregon border....There are some in California, the best place is out by Randsburg, but there are a lot of hunters out there. There are also a few out in the mountains around Ludlow.

I get them while hunting ducks and Pheasant in ND. Wily bird but great tasting if you can bag a few. I was not aware they were in NV or CA. We just had opening quail season here in AZ, they have the same MO. Fly up a steep ridge then fly down once you get to the top. I can hear them laughing at me all day long.

mark46th
10-06-2009, 19:35
Actually, there are quite a few in Nevada. Go to the Nevada Dept of Wildlife site and search for chukar forecast. I am going to try and get down to Arizona for quail in November- I love hunting Mearn's down by Patagonia...

mark46th
10-14-2009, 21:27
Got back from Chukar hunting Monday night. It had rained the week before so the birds were scattered. We finally found some when we figured out where it hadn't rained...I did see turkey, a few Valley Quail, deer, sage grouse, prong horn antelope, a golden eagle(Big dude!!), various hawks and falcons plus some coyotes...

Penn
10-19-2009, 18:19
I would be interested in buying any sage grouse you shoot. We could FedEx'em. They would need to be shipped within a 24hr period of donating themselves as a superb entree: Wild Sage Grouse, Roasted Acorn Squash and Root Vegetables, Seared Foie Gras

No need to gut them. I would want the innards.

mark46th
10-21-2009, 22:15
We weren't allowed to shoot them. They are for Nevada residents, only. Too bad, I could have had a limit in ab out 30 seconds...

lksteve
10-21-2009, 22:34
Plenty of chukar in NW Nevada, up around Vya, north of Reno...Pershing County, around Lovelock, too.

A fair amount east of Susanville, CA and a few north of Doyle in the Honey Lake area.

As far as sage grouse go, some folks seem to think they are endangered. Their nesting areas have been crucial to shutting down to projects I've worked on...

mark46th
10-22-2009, 17:31
I will look at those areas next year. Thank you. The first time I went deer hunting with my dad was around Doyle and Susanville- Many fond memories....

pennywise
10-26-2009, 20:32
If you find yourself in Ridgecrest Ca, check out the area south of town near the community college, its loaded with chuckar look around the sisterns! If you go towards Onyx you will run into bobwhites, scale and mountain quail. Occaisionally you will catch some ringneck doves around Onyx/Walkers Pass area.

mark46th
10-27-2009, 21:40
Yeah, that area around Ridgecrest, Randsburg and Red Mountain has a bunch. A few years ago, we found about 50 of 'em in Randsburg. There are white posts on the city limits so you know when you are out of town and can start shooting. We had to herd them past the stakes before we could start shooting...Strangest shoot I have ever had...