PDA

View Full Version : 5-year-old boy kills gator 20 times his size

FMF DOC
10-01-2009, 08:50
Not really Fur.. but thought this would be ok to post here...

11:45 PM CDT on Wednesday, September 30, 2009

By Cindy Horswell / Houston Chronicle

GOODRICH, Texas -- There are hunters who go a lifetime dreaming of that big kill. Then there’s Simon Hughes, who helped nab a beast of an animal on an East Texas hunt — while still in the first grade.

The 5-year-old boy from Goodrich was part of a hunting crew that recently killed an 800-pound 12-foot long alligator that’s making wildlife experts shake their heads.

Photo courtesy of the Houston Chronicle

The reptilian creature, whose size is at a state record level, is now at the taxidermist waiting to be mounted. Simon’s family, meanwhile, is fielding calls from CNN and Good Morning America to feature his exploits.

Simon learned to drive all-terrain vehicles and shoot firearms when he was only 4. So he was primed and ready to go on an alligator hunt this past weekend with his father, Scott Hughes, a sixth-generation rancher, and hunting guide Chuck Cotton. Simon had a new junior-sized .410 shotgun. His first gun had been too big, leaving a small cut below his eye after the recoil.

Neither his father nor mother worry about him using guns, because he has been taught gun safety since he was big enough to walk and stand in a deer blind.

“That’s the way it is in rural areas,” Scott said. “We don’t think of guns as playthings or something used in video games.”

By the time of the alligator hunt, Simon could shoot clay pigeons. Polk County Sheriff Kenneth Hammack, a former Texas Ranger, has been bird hunting with Simon and said he shoots pretty good for his age.

“Of course, you always keep an eye on children. But he’s learned a lot from this father,” Hammack said.

Scott had obtained a state permit to kill two of the 40 alligators populating his 5,000-acre spread near Lake Livingston because he knew something “real big was out there” and driving small alligators from the swampy areas and into his stock ponds.

State law requires alligators be caught on a baited hook or shot with a bow and arrow. So they baited a hook on Saturday with some “smelly armadillo road kill,” which apparently alligators adore.

When they returned the next day, the line was taut. Something had been snared and was resting beneath the dark 4-foot-deep waters.

They soon discovered the catch was an alligator. They attached it to an all-terrain vehicle with a sturdy line, but the gator proved so strong it almost dragged their vehicle into the water.

Finally, the animal, after thrashing and rolling, surfaced a second time, and Simon, poised 5 feet away, fired the first and what proved to be fatal shot. Cotton, just to be sure, fired one more shot at the alligator that had managed to rip the hook out of his own mouth.

Simon said he screamed “holy moly” when he saw the catch of the day. “I was never afraid for a second,” he said of the gator that is 20 times his size.

Taxidermist Stephen Moye said the head of the 12-foot, 6-inch long reptile weighs 104 pounds by itself.
A state wildlife biologist estimated the gator’s weight at more than 800 pounds. Finding an alligator of such size is rare, state officials said. Although the record length for a Texas alligator is 1 foot and 8 inches longer, the record weight for an gator killed on state property is only 690 pounds, records showed.

Simon, meanwhile, has shown pictures of the gator to his classmates in Goodrich near Lake Livingston, but that won’t be nearly as impressive as when he can bring the mounted head to show-and-tell displaying its ferocious 12-inch bite.

“My friends were proud of me, and I was proud of myself,” he said, of the photos of him being dwarfed by the gator lying by his feet. “It’s humongous!”

This story has been brought to through our partnership with the Houston Chronicle: www.Chron.com

HOLLiS
10-01-2009, 09:26
Great story. Thanks for the article. I shall pass it on.

JJ_BPK
10-01-2009, 09:37
Whole lot-a good eaten tail.. :D

Well done young warrior.. :lifter

Warrior-Mentor
10-01-2009, 10:03
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6645997.html

wet dog
10-01-2009, 10:13
I can't help myself, too good to pass up.

Simon learned to drive all-terrain vehicles and shoot firearms when he was only 4. So he was primed and ready to go on an [TALIBAN] hunt this past weekend with his [FELLOW TEAM MATES]. Simon had a new junior-sized .410 shotgun. His first gun had been too big, leaving a small cut below his eye after the recoil, [TEAM MEDIC ADVISED HIM TO SIZE DOWN].

Neither his father nor mother worry about him using guns, because he has been taught gun safety since he was big enough to walk and stand/sit in [HIDE SITES].

“That’s the way it is in rural areas,” Scott said. “We don’t think of guns as playthings or something used in video games.”

By the time of the [TALIBAN] hunt, Simon could shoot [AL-QAEDA] and other bad guys. TEAM MEMBER, Bob, former Texas Ranger, has been hunting with Simon and said he shoots pretty good for his age.

“Of course, you always keep an eye on children. But he’s learned a lot from this father,” TEAM SGT said.

Scott had obtained the 9/11 Terrorist permit to kill two of the 40 TALIBAN populating his 5,000-acre spread near Lake Livingston, TX because he knew something “real big was out there” and driving small TALIBAN from the swampy areas and into his stock ponds.

State law requires [TALIBAN] be caught on a baited hook or shot with a bow and arrow. So they baited a hook on Saturday with some “smelly [RED LENTILS]” which apparently TALIBAN adore.

When they returned the next day, the line was taut. Something had been snared and was resting beneath the dark 4-foot-deep waters.

They soon discovered the catch was an [TALIBAN Leader]. They attached it to an all-terrain vehicle with a sturdy line, but the [TALIBAN LEADER] proved to be over weight, it almost dragged their vehicle into the water.

Finally, the [TALIBAN], after thrashing and rolling, surfaced a second time, and Simon, poised 5 feet away, fired the first and what proved to be fatal shot. Cotton, just to be sure, fired one more shot at the alligator that had managed to rip the hook out of his own mouth.

Simon said he screamed “holy moly” when he saw the catch of the day. “I was never afraid for a second,” he said of the [TALIBAN LEADER] that is 5 times his size.

Taxidermist Stephen Moye said the head of the [TALIBAN LEADER] weighs 12 pounds by itself.

The GRP Medical Officer, estimated the [TALIBAN LEADER's] weight at more than 325 pounds. Finding an [TALIBAN LEADER] of such size is rare, DOD officials said. Although the record length for a Texas, TALIBAN is 6' 4" longer, the record weight for a TALIBAN LEADER killed on state property is only 345 pounds, records showed.

Simon, meanwhile, has shown pictures of the [TALIBAN LEADER] to his classmates in Goodrich near Lake Livingston, but that won’t be nearly as impressive as when he can bring the mounted head to show-and-tell displaying its ferocious bite.

“My friends were proud of me, and I was proud of myself,” he said, of the photos of him being dwarfed by the [TALIBAN LEADER] lying by his feet. “It’s humongous!”

This story has been brought to through our partnership with the Houston Chronicle: www.Chron.com

I hope I don't catch SHIT for this one,

WD

armymom1228
10-01-2009, 20:12
video here : http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/bizarre&id=7043163