PDA

View Full Version : Snipers in SF

Severe
09-27-2009, 17:32
I tried searching for this but nothing came up so I figure it's OK to ask about it.

I just finished WLC in Utah and they had some SF guys training out there doing a sniper course. Do all SF soldiers get to go through this course?

One of the instructors (OPFOR) was about to throw a simulation grenade and those guys came running down from the mountains and fell into the back of our formation in order to cross a bridge. It was pretty funny since the instructor said "BOOM" instead because he was worried he would get shot since they didn't have blank adapters on their weapons.

Richard
09-27-2009, 17:38
Do all SF soldiers get to go through this {sniper} course?

Think about it. :rolleyes:

Next unnecessary question. ;)

Richard

Utah Bob
09-28-2009, 18:22
:rolleyes:

Severe
09-29-2009, 08:45
I don't know too much about how things inside SF work. I never saw a Sniper MOS so that's why I was asking. It seems that it would go along with being an 18B though.

wet dog
09-29-2009, 08:58
I don't know too much about how things inside SF work.

This is not the place for idle questions.

Surgicalcric
09-29-2009, 09:12
I don't know too much about how things inside SF work...

I would suggest you start reading and stop posting then.

Crip

greenberetTFS
09-29-2009, 11:29
Where is LongRange 1947 when we need him!!! ;)

Big Teddy :munchin

rltipton
09-29-2009, 14:27
"I just finished WLC in Utah and they had some SF guys training out there doing a sniper course. Do all SF soldiers get to go through this course?"

Yes. When you finish the Q-course and get to your assignment you will go visit your new Bn CSM to find out which company you are going to. That is a good time to ask him when you start SOTIC. May as well ask him when you start MFF while you are at it. :p

Dragbag036
09-29-2009, 17:32

Before tapping on keys to ask a question regarding training locations and Team Task Organizations, as a 21y.o. one should stop and think in the same manner as before you open your mouth to speak. Although the internet is full of misnomers, there are truths out there. I would suggest using one of the various search engines, local book store, and/or library to find information. Afterward, address the forum with educated questions to dispel anything that seems questionable.

"Judge others by their questions rather than by their answers" ~Voltaire

my .02 cents

wet dog
09-29-2009, 18:09
"I just finished WLC in Utah and they had some SF guys training out there doing a sniper course. Do all SF soldiers get to go through this course?"

Yes. When you finish the Q-course and get to your assignment you will go visit your new Bn CSM to find out which company you are going to. That is a good time to ask him when you start SOTIC. May as well ask him when you start MFF while you are at it. :p

rltipton,

Go easy, you're just confusing the lad. He's probably lying in a fetal position under his bunk wondering if maybe MFF should come first. If others read this, they might think we are a terrible lot.

WD

rltipton
09-29-2009, 20:01
rltipton,

Go easy, you're just confusing the lad. He's probably lying in a fetal position under his bunk wondering if maybe MFF should come first. If others read this, they might think we are a terrible lot.

WD
Haha Sorry, didn't mean to come across mean-spirited. I am sure by the time he gets that far he'll know the person to ask is the Team Sergeant! :munchin

Calrngr
09-29-2009, 20:25
I tried searching for this but nothing came up so I figure it's OK to ask about it.

I just finished WLC in Utah and they had some SF guys training out there doing a sniper course. Do all SF soldiers get to go through this course?

One of the instructors (OPFOR) was about to throw a simulation grenade and those guys came running down from the mountains and fell into the back of our formation in order to cross a bridge. It was pretty funny since the instructor said "BOOM" instead because he was worried he would get shot since they didn't have blank adapters on their weapons.

Up there with one of our weak swimmers asking what he had to do to get a CDQC slot:confused:

longrange1947
09-30-2009, 11:20

No problem, you guys are doing fine. :D

Sniper is a sensitive subject not discussed with unknowns. You can read open source and find what you need if you really wish to have the knowledge that is available.

We will not confirm wild ideas nor "humorous situations".

Do a quick search and you will find a lot of info that is open source.

7624U
09-30-2009, 17:38

Hey Severe is this the first question you have ever had for the QP's on this fourm ?

Utah Bob
10-01-2009, 09:47
I don't know too much about how things inside SF work....

There's only one way to find out Son.
And it ain't on line.;)

Severe
10-01-2009, 12:47
If there is a limit to questions... shouldn't there be a limit to meaningless answers as well?

No problem, you guys are doing fine. :D

Sniper is a sensitive subject not discussed with unknowns. You can read open source and find what you need if you really wish to have the knowledge that is available.

We will not confirm wild ideas nor "humorous situations".

Do a quick search and you will find a lot of info that is open source.

I did a search through the search engine on this site and nothing came up. I didn't think I needed to go through Google since I thought forums were for asking questions and helping others... :confused:

Hey Severe is this the first question you have ever had for the QP's on this fourm ?

Yes, this is the first question I've had. None of the books I've read said anything about SOTIC.

There's only one way to find out Son.
And it ain't on line.;)
Amen.

Pete
10-01-2009, 13:07
If there is a limit to questions... shouldn't there be a limit to meaningless answers as well?....

Son, you are not off to a good start.

Surgicalcric
10-01-2009, 13:09
...I thought forums were for asking questions and helping others...

This is not askjeeves.com...

You need to develop some situational awareness.

Crip

Team Sergeant
10-01-2009, 13:46
[QUOTE=Severe;286496]

If there is a limit to questions... shouldn't there be a limit to meaningless answers as well?

It amuses us, get over it.

I did a search through the search engine on this site and nothing came up. I didn't think I needed to go through Google since I thought forums were for asking questions and helping others... :confused:

Where does it say we'd "help"???

Special Forces Questions

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.

Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.

Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.

If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Yes, this is the first question I've had. None of the books I've read said anything about SOTIC.

I'm glad to see the classification of "SECRET" is working.

Amen.

Prayer will not help you here.
Team Sergeant

longrange1947
10-01-2009, 13:51
So sorry you found my answer meaningless. :rolleyes:

I will try to do better in the future but right now I have a sniper course to teach. :munchin

Team Sergeant
10-01-2009, 13:54

I will try to do better in the future but right now I have a sniper course to teach. :munchin

I think Severe would wet himself if he knew who you were......;)

greenberetTFS
10-01-2009, 18:05
I think Severe would wet himself if he knew who you were......;)

Amen,to that......................;)

7624U
10-01-2009, 18:44
I wan't my beer for his first question. :)

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-01-2009, 19:03
I don't know too much about how things inside SF work. I never saw a Sniper MOS so that's why I was asking. It seems that it would go along with being an 18B though.
..not "Too" Much more like not much at all.

greenberetTFS
10-01-2009, 23:33
So sorry you found my answer meaningless.

LR,

I think you should give this kid his first free sniper training......:cool: Send him out about 1,000 yards and then let him put an apple on his head.....;)

wet dog
10-02-2009, 00:19
C.A.R.V.E.R.

Maybe the kid can figure it out?

WD

Severe
10-02-2009, 09:51

I wasn't saying everyone had meaningless answers.

If nothing else, at least you guys got some amusement out of my question.

I won't post again until I have a question that is worthwhile and after I've done my research on it. Thanks to all of you.

LongWire
10-03-2009, 04:02
I won't post again until I have a question that is worthwhile

Good Idea, this isn't your week to hog the O2............

Dozer523
10-03-2009, 05:33
I wasn't saying everyone had meaningless answers.
If nothing else, at least you guys got some amusement out of my question. . . . Thanks to all of you. Awwwww that's sweet.:) There is hope for this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZxfRpL5GVo:p

Sinister
10-03-2009, 08:53
I think Severe would wet himself if he knew who you were......

Heck, I know who Rick is and he makes me wet myself.

LongWire
10-03-2009, 09:42
Heck, I know who Rick is and he makes me wet myself.

I was thinking the same thing, just didn't want to be the first to admit it.

greenberetTFS
10-03-2009, 12:13
I've never met Rick personally,but from what you guys have said so far you've got me wetting my pants just thinking about it...............;)

Utah Bob
10-05-2009, 07:46
And you've got me wetting my pants just thinking about you wetting your pants.
Or maybe I'm just old.:eek:
:D

LongWire
10-05-2009, 10:48
And you've got me wetting my pants just thinking about you wetting your pants.
Or maybe I'm just old.:eek:
:D

Thats what Depends are for...............:D

Utah Bob
10-06-2009, 08:38
Thats what Depends are for...............:D

Dang. I thought they were disposable turbans.
You learn a lot on this site.:D

wet dog
10-06-2009, 09:07
...after I've done my research on it. Thanks to all of you.

Have you figured out what the acronym C.A.R.V.E.R., stands for?

longrange1947
10-06-2009, 11:26
Have you figured out what the acronym C.A.R.V.E.R., stands for?

And a new line of questioning begins. :munchin :D

kgoerz
10-06-2009, 13:14

Do all Special Forces Soldiers go thru your Sniper Course:D

longrange1947
10-06-2009, 13:46
Do all Special Forces Soldiers go thru your Sniper Course:D

If they pass the pre-reqs and the shoot in. :munchin :D

wet dog
10-06-2009, 19:05
And a new line of questioning begins. :munchin :D

The kid has gone underground. Several QP's chimed in with PM's when I first posted the question days ago. I was hoping to hear from the kid with an attempt to answer the question, when he first asked if all SFer's went to school, or only the 18B's, blah, blah, blah.

longrange1947
10-06-2009, 20:18
Actually, if he did google SOTIC and sniper he would find a bit of info on the course and pre-reqs. And he can find that CARVER applies to snipers as well. :munchin :D

Peregrino
10-06-2009, 20:33
If they pass the pre-reqs and the shoot in. :munchin :D

And if they don't, we get to stand around the SGM's desk looking at targets and laughing at them! It's even funnier when the Regimental CSM unloads on the SFG(A) CSMs for sending guys who don't meet pre-reqs and can't do the shoot-ins. (FAGs are easy to entertain.:p )

longrange1947
10-06-2009, 20:38
And he asked for the targets again. :eek:

I realize OPTEMPO can be a detriment but dam guys, it only takes a day on the range to get back into the swing of things.

As a FAG on my side I tend to stay away from the fireworks or I may say something "inappropriate". :D

But being a kindly old gentleman, I try to refrain from unkindly remarks. :munchin

RB
10-07-2009, 12:11
I thought you were kid glove kindly old dude with the young'un....

Tears? - Hell we laughed all the way through the course....Scones and GB right after he cut his finger off.....'This is Bullshit'....'Where's Chow'.

That was a quite amuzing read tho.....

kimberly
10-08-2009, 13:45
Criticality: How important, in a strategic context, is the target? What effect will its destruction have on other elements of the target system? Is it more important to have real-time surveillance of the target (e.g., a road junction) than its physical destruction?
Accessibility: Can an SR team reach or sense the target, keep it under surveillance for the appropriate time, and then exfiltrate after the target is struck?
Recuperability: When the target is destroyed by fire support or direct action, In the case of DA missions, can the enemy repair, replace, or bypass it quickly, minimum resources? If so, it may not be a viable target.
Vulnerability: do SR (including DA) and supporting units have the capability to destroy the target?
Effect: Beyond pure military effect are the political, economic, legal, and psychological effects of destroying the target? How would the attack affect local civilians?
Recognizability: Can the target be recognized clearly, by SR and attack forces, under the prevailing weather, light, and in its terrain? If there are critical points within the target, they also must be recognizable by the means of destruction used.
(WIKI)

And I'm a girl...:D

kimberly
10-08-2009, 14:00
LR,

I think you should give this kid his first free sniper training......:cool: Send him out about 1,000 yards and then let him put an apple on his head.....;)

I'll go. Got an apple? If I was ever going to have an apple shot off my head, I'd want it to be by someone who knows what they're doing.

longrange1947
10-08-2009, 14:05
Kimberly, thank you for your vote of confidence, but at that range it would be impossible without a laser rifle in the 1000 mw range. :D

I know, "just what you see on the shelves pal." :munchin

kimberly
10-08-2009, 14:11
I apologize for posting where I don't belong. Won't happen again.

wet dog
10-08-2009, 14:22
Criticality: How important, in a strategic context, is the target? What effect will its destruction have on other elements of the target system? Is it more important to have real-time surveillance of the target (e.g., a road junction) than its physical destruction?
Accessibility: Can an SR team reach or sense the target, keep it under surveillance for the appropriate time, and then exfiltrate after the target is struck?
Recuperability: When the target is destroyed by fire support or direct action, In the case of DA missions, can the enemy repair, replace, or bypass it quickly, minimum resources? If so, it may not be a viable target.
Vulnerability: do SR (including DA) and supporting units have the capability to destroy the target?
Effect: Beyond pure military effect are the political, economic, legal, and psychological effects of destroying the target? How would the attack affect local civilians?
Recognizability: Can the target be recognized clearly, by SR and attack forces, under the prevailing weather, light, and in its terrain? If there are critical points within the target, they also must be recognizable by the means of destruction used.
(WIKI)

And I'm a girl...:D

That was pretty good...

Do you remember how this thread was started? ...do all SFer's go through sniper training?,...then it morphed into "18Bs" seem the obvious choice, then for awhile we badgered one another, in fun for the most part.

Has it become more clear that SF missions seem to be strategic in nature.

I beleive this thread has exhausted itself. Shooting and target questions are covered elsewhere.

Good day,

Richard
10-08-2009, 15:23
Xe-it...I felt lucky when I had 3 on the team and they had to fight over the M-21s. ;)

If everyone had been to sniper school there wouldn't have been agreement on anything! :p :D

Richard

longrange1947
10-08-2009, 19:30
I apologize for posting where I don't belong. Won't happen again.

There is no need to apologize! I was kidding around about the needing a laser similar to the movie Terminator when he went into the gun store.

Besides why would I want to take a chance at hitting your pretty head? :(

At that range a 1 mile per hour wind would do me in. :D

longrange1947
10-08-2009, 19:31
That was pretty good...

................. then for awhile we badgered one another, in fun for the most part.

Good day,

Heck I was having fun all the time not just most of the time!! :D

greenberetTFS
10-09-2009, 14:10
That was pretty good...

Do you remember how this thread was started? ...do all SFer's go through sniper training?,...then it morphed into "18Bs" seem the obvious choice, then for awhile we badgered one another, in fun for the most part.

Has it become more clear that SF missions seem to be strategic in nature.

I beleive this thread has exhausted itself. Shooting and target questions are covered elsewhere.

Good day,

WD,

Your absolutely right this thread has bounced all over the place and what's really funny is there never was a direct answer given to that guy as either yes or no...:confused:

Blitzzz (RIP)
10-09-2009, 15:52
....NO...!

Team Sergeant
10-09-2009, 15:55
....NO...!

Sure, spoil it for the rest of us!!!!!!

wet dog
10-09-2009, 20:26
Sure, spoil it for the rest of us!!!!!!

Did I ever tell you guys about the three Irishman who...?

Richard
10-10-2009, 06:18

Didn't drink? No. :p :D

Richard

longrange1947
10-10-2009, 15:19
Actually I did when I stated If they pass the pre-reqs and the shoot in. in reply to kgoerz's statement. :munchin :D

longrange1947
10-10-2009, 15:20

Did they find the "Lucky Charms" and are they named Paddy?

Nope!! :p

mark46th
10-15-2009, 21:58
Hey Rich- We had an M1D in our armory in Thailand. It was way cool- All tricked out with an Unertl scope on it. I used it to go boar hunting with the local village hunters. I got put in my place when one of them killed a 400 pound pig with a .30 caliber muzzle loader. One shot one kill! With a home made muzzle loader using home made black powder! They did give me one of the tusks, which I still have...I should have kept the rifle when we closed the camp...

Richard
10-16-2009, 04:55
Hey Rich- We had an M1D in our armory in Thailand. It was way cool- All tricked out with an Unertl scope on it. I used it to go boar hunting with the local village hunters. I got put in my place when one of them killed a 400 pound pig with a .30 caliber muzzle loader. One shot one kill! With a home made muzzle loader using home made black powder! They did give me one of the tusks, which I still have...I should have kept the rifle when we closed the camp...

Yep...that was what we had at Nong Takoo, too. Never saw a Model 700 or an M21 until we closed out and returned to Fort Bragg.

I found out that all our weapons had been collected and sent to our HQs (1SFG on Okinawa) and they got dumped (literally in a couple of Conexes into the Pacific) when they closed out just two months after they closed us out - always wished I coulda kept a couple of the weapons we had in our inventory.

I treated a few locals for gsw with some of those homemade weapons - including those shotgun kinda tubes they filled with metal scraps to shoot Gibbons outta the trees - made some pretty nasty wounds - Mekong/ganja and weapons don't mix very well together. ;)

Richard