PDA

View Full Version : Expensive

dac
09-23-2009, 09:21
Awfully proud of this one, they are:

Extreme Outfitters (http://www.extremeoutfitters.us/benchmadeinfidelgoldclassmchenrydesign3310-91limitedto200pieces.aspx)

Don't know if I could justify that purchase to the wife (or myself).

Calrngr
09-23-2009, 09:58
:eek::eek::eek: $999 for a blade. Holy crap! Call me a cheapskate but I think I'll pass especially for EDC. I don't think I could ditch a $1000 knife.

Rogue
09-23-2009, 10:35
Picked up an Infidel (the first double bladed variety) when they first came out.
Ingenious mechanism internally, but poor quality. Within a week the innards gave way. I was very unhappy. Personnaly wouldn't buy again.

Claemore
10-17-2009, 00:16
I read an article a couple of months ago about a new Brend knife that's coming out. In the article he was quoted to the effect that he was making a knife for the common soldier to carry. That due to the bad economy he wanted to produce a knife that the soldier could afford to carry. Well, his "economy" knife was $700 - 800!:rolleyes:

Mitch
10-17-2009, 02:48
I read an article a couple of months ago about a new Brend knife that's coming out. In the article he was quoted to the effect that he was making a knife for the common soldier to carry. That due to the bad economy he wanted to produce a knife that the soldier could afford to carry. Well, his "economy" knife was $700 - 800!:rolleyes:

Get a Ka-Bar, in fact get 10 of them or more for tthat price.

Richard
10-17-2009, 07:32
I still use my old combat dive knife. Don't know what it cost the government - didn't cost me a dime. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

The Reaper
10-17-2009, 08:35

People pay crazy money for anything Walt touched.

I remember telling him back in the '80s that no soldier in his right mind was going to pay $600 for a stock removal knife like his 10" D2 Fighter. Now look at what those knives are worth. I have seen them sell for very close to $3000.

They are worth more as collector pieces than the value of the blade as a working blade. If you could sell four times as many pieces as you can make of a certain knife, why lower the price? He could sell knives for $400 all day long, and they would be trading on eBay by the end of the day for fair market value of probably $800 or more each. Like anything else in short supply, why should he pass big profits on to the middle man or speculator?

TR

Mitch
10-17-2009, 16:20
I still use my old combat dive knife. Don't know what it cost the government - didn't cost me a dime. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

I have five knives that I rescued from back in the day. (see the pictures - it is obvious that I need to clean them up - have not used them much at all since I retired).

My ubiquitous Demo knife - if you did not have one of these on your belt, you just weren't trying hard enough.

My Army Aviation Survival Knife - not a great knife, but it traveled with me many places - and it traveled with me here to Texas when I retired.

And finally, my favorite of all - my Navy KA-BAR. It was given to me in 1973 by a SEAL whom I came to know pretty well - I kept this knife on my web belt and took it with me for nearly all field exercise for years to come. The SEAL was - Bob Schamberger. The value of this knife, today, is Priceless to me.

Not pictured – my Scuba Knife I’ve had since Berlin – and finally (see my Avatar)my commo knife – issued with every 109. These are some of my most favorite possessions now - back then - they were just tools.