PDA

View Full Version : New La Rue with Glow Worm!!!

JJ_BPK
09-22-2009, 05:23
Ran into this flick of the new La Rue .308.

The interesting thing about the flick is the glow of the can after 1/2 doz rounds..

Wonder if anyone tests cans at night for their glow.

I am sure most users with a can do not sit and pound out full magazines that quick,, other than at the range..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEONtKC_0So

I think I'd rather have a better flash hider with less signature..

Novice Snowflake
09-22-2009, 06:23
Look all that smoke coming from the ejecting shells. :eek:

It is better to have smoke-less bullets in a sniper rifle.

The suppressor really needs to not give away any heat signature.

The rifle no doubt is well made, just a few things need changed around then it would work much better. ;)

Ambush Master
09-22-2009, 17:56
Here's the intro to the clip:

Hey all y'all Team LaRue folks,

It's been awhile, but we've been busier than, uh, nevermind all that. Anyhow, I'm sending you a link to our new far-out LaRue-tube video of our OSR as seen through way-cool L-3 night vision ...
... as the 308 SureFire suppressor heats up it puts off a cool lookin' view.

Kinda neat and a sorta short video ...
... and oh yeah, as to the OSR ... for those of ya that have one on order - we've nailed it and are just hours / days away from beginning to assemble brand new ones to ship out the door. I apologize, we have a sickness and a thing for perfection.

Ambush Master
09-22-2009, 17:59

The rifle no doubt is well made, just a few things need changed around then it would work much better. ;)

When shooting with a "Can", you are going to get back-pressure in the chamber and hence the smoking cases!! As stated in the previous post, the glow was as viewed through a NVD with no attempt to cover it!

The Reaper
09-22-2009, 18:19

The suppressor is working just fine. I have one and it is state of the art.

You don't want to see it glow, take it off and watch the muzzle flash.

I would save tactical comments for the QPs here, unless you have some special skills that are not in your profile.

TR

Team Sergeant
09-22-2009, 18:34

Any enemy I face will be at the muzzle end of the barrel, damn hard to see that glow from straight on.......

Besides anyone close enough to see that glow would have been dealt with long before.

Smoke from my weapon is the last thing any of us would worry about once the shooting started.

In your profile it states you're not a soldier, it shows. Save your comments for ar15.com or military.com

This is not amateur hour.

Team Sergeant

JJ_BPK
09-22-2009, 18:38
Martin

You need to put a link to the OSR site on your home page..

What mag does the OSR use?

www.larueosr.com

Have you tried other cans? Is it common for a can to glow??

I can remember we use to have "mad-minutes" every nite on the FB just to keep the NVA on their toes. I carried am XM177 and the barrel would glow after 5-8 magazines.. By the time I was evac'd it was a smooth bore,, but I never had an FTF .

Tx

Ambush Master
09-22-2009, 18:51
Martin

You need to put a link to the OSR site on your home page..

www.larueosr.com

Have you tried other cans? Is it common for a can to glow??

I can remember we use to have "mad-minutes" every nite on the FB just to keep the NVA on their toes. I carried am XM177 and the barrel would glow after 5-8 magazines.. By the time I was evac'd it was a smooth bore,, but I never had an FTF .

Tx

The only familiarity that I have with the OSR is that my son is the manager of production on that platform. Cans will glow, but as I stated before, that video was made using an L3 Night Vision Device (NVD). You can contact him through a PM in here to Air.177.

I also carried an XM177-E2.

Take care.
Martin

longrange1947
09-22-2009, 19:52
Cans glow but they are less of a give away then the huge donut of light caused by a dam flash suppressor. You want attention go down range about 200 meters and watch back up range at a flash suppressor at night with NVDs. They disperse the light but only make the heat signature a huge donut, reason no flash suppressor on the M24. When it comes out as a point of heat it is next to undetectable at range. Now close on it is very noticeable but on a sniper rifle we don't normally do "close on" covertly and then we use a can. :D

The LaRue weapon is well made and does not need "tweaking".

koz
09-22-2009, 20:09

www.larueosr.com

The OSR uses the DPMS/SR25/Magpul style mag.

Tuukka
09-24-2009, 11:50
To add to the above comments , there are also ways to mitigate the glow of the suppressor.