PDA

View Full Version : Pepper Spray vs Hornet&Wasp Spray

BMT (RIP)
09-21-2009, 15:41
http://abclocal.go.com/wtvg/story?section=news/local&id=6650350

BMT

dr. mabuse
09-21-2009, 16:12
I worked for a prominent eye surgeon in the Dallas area for awhile and he indicated that some of that struff (bug spray) will de-laminate someone's cornea (blind them) based on concentration, exposure time, etc.

I've had 2 other eye surgeons ( U.T. Southwestern Med. and Baylor in Dallas ) say the same thing.

Much better to shoot the SOB if appropriate than to blind them.

Just like the chuckleheads at Bass Pro in Dallas that say it's appropriate to use bear pepper spray on humans. Um, er, o.k. See you in civil court.

I definitely smell a tin foil hat moment lurking here....:rolleyes:

Pete
09-21-2009, 16:49
....Just like the chuckleheads at Bass Pro in Dallas that say it's appropriate to use bear pepper spray on humans. Um, er, o.k. See you in civil court.......

Man kicks in door of elderly lady she grabs a can of bug spray and sprays him in the eyes blinding him.

Officer Friendly asks the lady what happened.......

"Well, officer, I always keep this can of bug spray by the door in case somebody kicks it in. That way I can spray them in the eys and blind them."

vs

"Well, officer, this giant thug kicked in my front door and grabbed at me. The only thing handy was a can of bug spray that I had been spraying around the front door earlier in the day. In fear of my life I grabbed it and sprayed at the closest part of him to me - his face."

Seriously folks if the best you can do is bug spray and you think somebody is going to kick in your front door you need to replace the hing screws with about 5 inch ones and add two long dead bolts and a peep hole to the door. A kick plate under the door would help with the 6" only rule if you just have to open the door. MACE should be just fine right there - or a horn in a can for boats :D. That would wake up the neighborhood.

Red Flag 1
09-21-2009, 17:07
This may be the fall back position for those who go unarmed for what ever reason; like living in DC. While not a deadly weapon requiring a C/C permit, pretty effective.

While a blind perp can sue, it is unlikely said perp will be a threat to society ever again.

Perhaps classes in the use of wasp/hornet spray may needed, along with a license to carry, and background check, may be required to make a purchase.

As Richard says, "and so it goes.....;)"

My $.02.

:munchin

RF 1

albeham
09-21-2009, 17:27
Crap..Now the secret is out.. I guess I'll just get a C/C for my pump bug spray...

I am with, the thought of.. " I grab what was closest to me" ....

Red Flag 1
09-21-2009, 17:42
Crap..Now the secret is out.. I guess I'll just get a C/C for my pump bug spray...

I am with, the thought of.. " I grab what was closest to me" ....

Given the amount of "ammo", you and I may have to get special permits:D!

RF 1

Sten
09-21-2009, 18:06
If he is blind good luck pointing me out in court:D, You guys are the ones that taught me to admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations.

"I don't know officer, he kicked in my door so I was going to get my pistol to shoot the son of a bitch when he grabbed that bug spray and sprayed himself in the face, weird."

albeham
09-21-2009, 18:32
If he is blind good luck pointing me out in court:D, You guys are the ones that taught me to admit nothing, deny everything and make counter accusations.

"I don't know officer, he kicked in my door so I was going to get my pistol to shoot the son of a bitch when he grabbed that bug spray and sprayed himself in the face, weird."

I never said that...It was him..that guy...

PS remember my fall back plan.. scrubbing bubbles ... :D

Snaquebite
09-21-2009, 18:49
I would think twice about this. Just read the warning label on pesticide containers: there are strict regulations on their use. Violating these regulations could be an entirely separate crime, especially if premeditated intent can be shown.

I'll stick with my plan....... :rolleyes:

echoes
09-22-2009, 19:25
Am sitting here in my on-campus apartment, ready for bedtime in my pj's...and I can say in all honesty that if any perp decides to threaten me or my roomie, I have no qualms about using one of my Fox Labs Pepper Sprays on him.

As guns are prohibited, Pepper Spray is not...(I asked the Director of Housing personally.)

This stuff is marketed by those that know, as the nastiest stuff out there, and I do not want anything less than that, when defending myself.

The nastier the better, IMVHO. For those psychos wanting access to my person better know I will not submit to them willingly. Blind, maimed, disfigured, what the hell ever can happen to them because I value myslef, and those I am incharge of protecting.

Holly:munchin

dr. mabuse
09-23-2009, 09:11
I may have missed making my point. I couldn't care less what happens to the perp. Why deliberatly incure extra liability to deal with them? Why risk dancing around and being coy with the police? Reacting vs. responding.

Save your pennies and get some good pepper spray instead of bug spray.

If, theoretically speaking only:rolleyes:, a homeowner has past issues and has a need to torture another person, squirt some formaldehyde in their eyes for a really good quality delamination and severe eye burn. :D

The Reaper
09-23-2009, 09:13
Big can of WD-40 and a cigarette lighter works pretty well, too.:D

TR

Red Flag 1
09-23-2009, 11:03
I may have missed making my point. I couldn't care less what happens to the perp. Why deliberatly incure extra liability to deal with them? Why risk dancing around and being coy with the police? Reacting vs. responding.

Save your pennies and get some good pepper spray instead of bug spray.

If, theoretically speaking only:rolleyes:, a homeowner has past issues and has a need to torture another person, squirt some formaldehyde in their eyes for a really good quality delamination and severe eye burn. :D

As you have pointed out, and I agree, acts have consequences for both sides. Right now the perps seem to hold the bulk of the "get out of jail free" cards. Whatever the means of defense, projectile, cold steel, chemicals, electrons, spices, harsh language even parts of one's anatomy, questions will be asked; the ACLU is watching no matter what you do or say.

I guess the adage of one vs six carrying is what must be decided by each person; sometimes rapidly..........

My $.02.

RF 1

nmap
09-23-2009, 12:05
I guess I don't understand the concern - perhaps because I live in Texas.

According to my understanding, I can use deadly force against someone who unlawfully enters my house while I'm there.

The statute - Section 9.31 (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm)

As to civil liability, I notice that section 83.001 seems to say there is none for force lawfully used pursuant to Section 9.31, above. LINK (http://www.legis.state.tx.us/tlodocs/80R/billtext/html/SB00378F.HTM)

So...I could, according to my understanding, lawfully fire some large number of rounds from an automatic (not merely semi-automatic) rifle and face no civil liability in Texas.

But I couldn't squirt them with wasp spray? (which begs the question, is the use of "wasp" spray inherently racist?)

That seems like an odd disparity.

dr. mabuse
09-23-2009, 21:31
nmap, this subject causes the most confusion in my classes. You can squirt them with anything you please.

If we picked the Grand Jury and/or trial juries that would hear our case, life would be much easier.

I just pass on what criminal court judges, LEO's, legal counsel at DPS, tell me from the court side of the equation. I love the word "immune", as if it means something in Texas. I've seen more silly, clearly illegal stuff get no-billed and I've seen o.k. stuff sent to trial. And my students want easy yes or no answers only.

Welcome to my world.....:rolleyes: turtle trading is much easier.

nmap
09-23-2009, 21:36
Ahh, ambiguity in the application of law. You gotta love it.

Points well taken, Dr. Mabuse.