PDA

View Full Version : Another Brilliant Politician

Defender968
09-20-2009, 15:35
This has to be about the most short sighted, uneducated, and just plain ridiculous LE policy I've seen by far.

You have to watch the video, makes me shake my head, and totally supports many people’s false view that South Carolina is filled with idiots. I can’t believe more than 2 people voted for this woman. :eek:

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/mayors_memo_may_handcuff_police_officers/26918

Updated September 18, 2009

(Wellford, SC)—The Mayor of Wellford is defending her policy which bans police officers in that city from chasing suspects. Sallie Peake says the policy also includes vehicle chases along with pursuits on foot.

A memo issued on September 2nd from Peake to all Wellford officers reads:

“As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever.“

WSPA first reported the mandate on Wednesday after an anonymous citizen faxed a copy of the memo to our newsroom. Peake was out of town and unavailable for comment. On Friday, reporter Chris Cato caught up with her in her office and questioned her about the origin of the policy. Peake says she issued the mandate because several officers have been injured during chases, driving up insurance costs for the town.

“The officers are costing us more money on insurance than most citizens here in the city of Wellford are even earning,“ says Peake.

She says the city is paying out $20,000 annually in workers’ compensation claims, much of it due to the police force. In July, two officers wrecked their cruisers while chasing suspects and had to go to the hospital for minor treatment. The police chief says three officers have been injured during foot chases in the last two years.

Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright says the policy prevents police from upholding the law—a direct violation of their constitutional oath.

“If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it’s our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice,“ says Wright.

But when we asked Peake about her order impeding an officer from stopping a crime in progress, she became defensive and irate. The conversation went as follows:

Reporter: “Are you telling your officers if they witness a crime - they witness someone commit a crime on someone else and they’re ten yards away - they can’t go stop that person?“
Peake: “Is that in there?“ (referring to policy)
Reporter: “It says no chases whatsoever.“
Peake: “Well, that’s what I said, no chases, didn’t I? I didn’t say nothing about a crime. If you see a crime, this that and the other -“
Reporter: “Well, that’s what a chase is - “
Peake: “Well, I told them no chase on foot, and (the police chief) know exactly what I mean, so you’re trying to twist what I -“
Reporter: “No, I’m not. You said no chases. No chases means no chases.“
Peake: (claps hands) “You got you a story, thank God! You are so sweet! You got you a story on a woman in Wellford! Hallelujah! I’m so proud of you, Mr. Cato!“

Click here to see the entire interview.

Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy has told his officers to abide by the policy. He says they can still protect the public.

“Just because a suspect may run does not mean we can’t identify them, sign warrants, and catch them later,“ says Guy.

But Sheriff Wright says when a suspect gets away, there is always the chance he could hurt someone before officers catch up with him.

Peake says that won’t happen in Wellford.

Here’s hoping the arm of the law really is long.

Posted September 9, 2009

The mayor of an Upstate city has issued an order that may handcuff her police officers and put citizens at risk, according to some.

News Channel 7 received a fax from an anonymous person identifying themself as “a concerned Wellford citizen”. Included was a memo written by Wellford Mayor Sallie Peake, addressed to all city police officers. Dated September 2, 2009, it reads:

“As of this date, there are to be no more foot chases when a suspect runs. I do not want anyone chasing after any suspects whatsoever.“

We have not been able to reach Peake for comment. The city clerk tells us the Mayor is out of town on vacation and is unreachable.

Wellford Police Chief Chris Guy confirmed the memo was legitimate. He says he has told his officers to abide by the order until he can sit down with Peake and talk about it.

“This came about because an officer twisted his ankle while chasing a suspect a couple of weeks ago,“ said Chief Guy.

He said he could not comment further until he has talked with Peake about how the policy will affect his officers’ abilities to perform their duties.

For an outside opinion, we went to Spartanburg County Sheriff Chuck Wright.

“I’ve never seen a memo like that before, telling your police officers not to do their job,“ said Wright. “That’s strange.“

Wright says Peake has essentiall handcuffed her officers.

“If a bank robber or a drunk driver or a shoplifter or somebody with a warrant runs on foot, it’s our obligation to do what we can do to bring them to justice,“ says Wright.

He says the memo may actually be illegal because it directly conflicts with a police officer’s constitutional oath to uphold the law. And he says while it may protect officers from injury, it may also put citizens at risk.

“If you’ve got somebody that’s running from the police, whose to say they won’t break into your home to get away from law enforcement?“ said Wright.

He said he is going to ask State Law Enforcement Division if the memo is legal. In the meantime, he says he will add patrols to the Wellford area in case officers need help catching suspects who decide to run.

We will continue following this story and get answers from Mayor Sallie Peake.

The Reaper
09-20-2009, 16:55
Are they allowed to serve warrants, and execute stops, or is that too dangerous as well?

TR

Smokin Joe
09-20-2009, 16:58
Looks like she just gave every Tom, Dick, and Harry a free pass in her city.

What an incredibly stupid mayor. Someone should have told her that paying high insurance premiums is a cost of doing business in LE.

I would hate to see their training budget or how many miles they restrict their officers to driving in a shift, etc....

Smokin Joe
09-20-2009, 17:00
Are they allowed to serve warrants, and execute stops, or is that too dangerous as well?

TR

Those are probably to confrontational. Additionally they are trying to save printing cost so they no longer issue tickets or warrants....

echoes
09-20-2009, 17:24
(Wellford, SC)—The Mayor of Wellford is defending her policy which bans police officers in that city from chasing suspects. Sallie Peake says the policy also includes vehicle chases along with pursuits on foot.

A memo issued on September 2nd from Peake to all Wellford officers reads:

http://www2.wspa.com/spa/news/local/article/mayors_memo_may_handcuff_police_officers/26918

This woman is a classic example of a sexually depraved individual.:rolleyes:

Holly

Defender968
09-20-2009, 18:46

TR

I bet they turn on the blue lights, but for some reason no one stops :rolleyes: I've said it before a prudent and intelligent chase policy is a must in LE, but a no chase regardless policy only encourages the criminals to run. I'm not a chase em till the wheels fall off kind of guy, but if someone rapes, murders, etc and they run, then we should chase them to the ends of the earth and when we catch them, they should get what's coming to them.

Gypsy
09-20-2009, 18:47
This woman is a classic example of a sexually depraved individual.:rolleyes:

Holly

That's a rather ridiculous statement.

Wonder if she'd change her tune should a crime be committed against a loved one of hers, and the LEO can't chase the purp on foot. What an idiot.

incarcerated
09-20-2009, 18:59
That's a rather ridiculous statement.

That may very well be, Gypsy, but you don't see any of us rushing forward with an offer to help the good mayor fix her problem. :D

I asked a retired LEO friend how they used to deal with evading/fleeing vehicles. "We would get up on the overpasses in front of them, and use double ought buck as they drove past. Works every time."

plato
09-20-2009, 19:17
I just sent the mayor a note praising her decision.

And asking what time the bank opens.

Gee, I'm gonna miss you guys :)

Defender968
09-20-2009, 19:23
That may very well be, Gypsy, but you don't see any of us rushing forward with an offer to help the good mayor fix her problem. :D

I asked a retired LEO friend how they used to deal with evading/fleeing vehicles. "We would get up on the overpasses in front of them, and use double ought buck as they drove past. Works every time."

That's the other extreme of the equation, and I'm not a fan of that either, what happens when the guy running turns out to be a 12 year old who took the family car and is just scared.

For the raping, murdering, sleaze bags who are being running and being chased, I'm all for the double ought option. It's funny GA used to do exactly that when a chase came from SC, they used to say if a pursuit comes to their border it ends at their border, they'd block the road and open fire on the fleeing vehicle. In the end officer discretion backed by thorough training, and intelligent guidelines need to be in a chase policy, because not every running car needs to be chased but some absolutely must be, knowing the difference is the key.

longrange1947
09-20-2009, 19:24
Can't serve a warrant on a running felon in that town, no arrests except for those that give up. :rolleyes:

Can they tackle before they run or is that too strenuous as well? :munchin

dac
09-21-2009, 07:21
Can they tackle before they run or is that too strenuous as well?

The officer could get really scratched up or possibly some road rash. Can't have that.

May God bless you!
May God bless you!
May God bless you!

greenberetTFS
09-21-2009, 22:12
All I can say to that mayor is Stupid is as stupid does............:rolleyes::p:eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

Smokin Joe
09-25-2009, 14:06
Check out this DA if you want to talk about screwed up elected officals.

http://www.indybay.org/newsitems/2008/01/14/18472367.php

No political axe grinding there. :rolleyes: