PDA

View Full Version : Airborne physical

chance
09-20-2009, 00:32
Hello Gents,
I have a question and after many hours of searching I've come to you for help.
I'm in 20th SFG in Louisville and today I took my Airborne physical and was disqualified for having high BP the readings were as followed 139/100, 138/99, 135/88 with a EKG heart rate of 59 BPM. Now here is my question is the physical a one time deal or can I take it again and if so how many time's? the reason I ask is because I've never had high blood pressure, heck It was only three weeks ago that I took a physical for the police department and my BP was 124/80. Also can it be waivered if I can't take it again?

JJ_BPK
09-20-2009, 05:22
Hello Gents,
I have a question ?

Start here: AR 40501, Standards of Medical Fitness (c attached)

Good Luck..

chance
09-20-2009, 12:32
Thanks JJ_BPK,
I found the part about being waived by the school only I guess I just missed it, it was a really long day for me yesterday. But I still don't see anything about taking the physical again. What is the best course of action for me to get this taken care of? also I am 2 miles outside of Fort Campbell if I need to get a new physical.

chance
09-20-2009, 13:56
Do I need any special orders to get a 5 day BP check done on Fort Campbell? Also if my BP is good for five days do I just send that up with my physical from saturday?

chance
09-25-2009, 13:08
Ok after lot's of searching, and asking around I found out that I can take it again. Now here's my question other then the obvious thing like cutting out salt, lowering the use of suger and caffine what other things can I do? I've also kicked the PT up a notch by running 5 days a week instead of 3 and rucking 3 days a week instead of 2.

Costa
09-25-2009, 13:17
Ok after lot's of searching, and asking around I found out that I can take it again. Now here's my question other then the obvious thing like cutting out salt, lowering the use of suger and caffine what other things can I do? I've also kicked the PT up a notch by running 5 days a week instead of 3 and rucking 3 days a week instead of 2.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/treat/treat.htm

Fish oil, Garlic, Folic acid, Hawthorn, and maybe CoQ10

....and eat your Quaker oats....:lifter

Red Flag 1
09-25-2009, 15:25
Do I need any special orders to get a 5 day BP check done on Fort Campbell? Also if my BP is good for five days do I just send that up with my physical from saturday?
\
chance,

Hypertension is hypertension. Hypertension is a global event putting micro vascular structures at risk. This includes the kidneys, the eyes, the brain, the lung, and other organs needing micro vascular support. Small vessels just can't handle the increased blood pressure.

There are things a hypertension patient can do to lower blood pressure for a short period of time. In the end, untreated hypertension wins despite all. Without treatment, undiagnosed and untreated hypertension can make you blind, and leave you looking for a renal transplant to stay alive.

It is my most humble opinion that you seek a medical evaluation to see if you have hypertension for your sake. Five day BP check is a start with a doc ordering and evaluating the results after a history and physical exam. You may find that you do not have hypertension, good news; send "it up" with the doc's signed findings. I expect D9, Eagle 5 ,Crip, and AF DOC can give you better advice than I can on that. In the early 70's I had an ROTC patient @ Plattsburgh AFB that presented with hypertension. This cadet had a positive history from both Mom and Dad. After a five day check, he failed. I ordered another five day eval with the same results. At that time, the USAF declined to keep the ROTC cadet in the program.

If you have hypertension, get it treated, IMMHO. Hypertension is the most dangerous in it's untreated phase.

Best of luck, and be well!

RF 1

chance
09-25-2009, 17:07
See! thats just it like I said earlier, I had a physical for the PD and it was only 124/80 and 3 weeks later it's threw the roof somthing isn't right. And one of the guys from 20th that works in a ER as a civilian checked my BP and he got 128/88 and I was standing up and talking to the other guys. Also this was a National Guard unit that did ower physicals and they even told us that they only do physicals once or twice a year.:confused:

dexter84
09-27-2009, 14:35
Start here: AR 40501, Standards of Medical Fitness (c attached)

Good Luck..

Quick question: is this the most up to date version of the AR40-501?
I might need to take this to one of the meps doctors who is trying to call me legally blind and disqualify me for airborne.

Thanks in advance.

f50lrrp
09-27-2009, 17:47
In 1972, when I took my physical for the Monterey P.D., I was DQed for having too high BP. I went on a 1000 calorie per day diet for three weeks and then paid to have my phyical done again.

The results were better than I could believe. I scored 120/75 the second time around. The Doctor explained that some people have "Performance Anxiety" and score outside the acceptable limits. Perhaps this happened to you, too,

JJ_BPK
09-27-2009, 18:00
Quick question: is this the most up to date version of the AR40-501?

Thanks in advance.

I am not on AD, I suspect it is, but we need someone to verify the release level..

This rapid action revision, dated 10 September 2008--

dexter84
09-27-2009, 18:33
I didn't read the entire revised version, but nothing in the airborne qualifications was changed. So the 2008 rar is the most recent one I can find. I assume this is what they are currently using. Correct me if I'm wrong.