PDA

View Full Version : Desert Gear

AngelsSix
07-14-2004, 17:27
I need some input on what to bring to Iraq other than the standard issue gear junk. I have never been and have no idea about the environment except it is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Thanks gents!!

NousDefionsDoc
07-14-2004, 18:01
I haven't been, but I have several friends that have. They suggest:
1. Ballestic vest and helmet
2. Several guns and lots of ammo
3. Oakleys

:D

Air.177
07-14-2004, 18:29
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc

Oakleys

Great, Oakleys. Just what you need to blend in with the locals, Win friends, and Influence people :D

Kyobanim
07-14-2004, 18:30
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
3. Oakleys

Aren't those issue now? :cool:

NousDefionsDoc
07-14-2004, 18:34
1. There are times to blend in and there are times to simply kick Hadji's ass.
2. Do you have any idea how many media people and cameras there are over there? The odds of being on tv must be pretty good.

If they're not issue they should be and I'm claiming a grandfather clause to get mine.

Now, let's knock this off and let somebody answer Angel's question.

I'm sorry Angel.

Guy
07-14-2004, 18:58
1. Weapons cleaning kit.

2. Good boots w/socks.

3. UnderArmor gear...T-shirts, socks , underwear...etc!

4. CASH! and always carry it on you in different locations.;)

The Reaper
07-14-2004, 19:04
Camelback and some Platypus bladders
Good flashlights (Photons, Surefires, a headlamp), spare batteries and bulbs
Multi-tool
A good knife
Goggles
A good holster
Gunbelt and suspenders
Weapons cleaning gear (Otis)
Knife sharpening gear
Lens cleaning gear
Digicam
MP3 Player
Portable DVD player/Notebook with DVDs
Mini-binos
A good sling for the long gun
Baby wipes
Good load bearing set-up
Boots and socks
Bug out kit on you at all times
Frag grenade

Just a few off the top of my head.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-14-2004, 19:10
Might also want to consider some language tapes and maybe enrolling in AMU or some other college courses you can do while away.

Books - to read then swap.

Boredom can be a formidable enemy.

Don't forget your FAK - with good meds for gastro issues. Footpowder.

Good gloves

Max Power
07-14-2004, 19:24
Some things I learned/wished I had -

Drop leg magazine holder, my primary job was driver for my squad's truck, so all the gear on my IBA tended to get in the way. There are upsides and downsides to a set-up like this, but for the job I held, I wish I had had one over there.

Power converter, almost all of the generators over there run foreign power, so if you bring a portable DVD player (not a bad idea, as NDD said, boredom can be a bitch) you'll want a power converter so you can charge it back up.

Those are the only two things I could think of that weren't mentioned. Oh, if you have room in a CONEX for personal stuff, wouldn't be a bad idea to bring a tool chest, it'll come in VERY handy, just make sure you know who has what if you loan stuff out.

I'm sure your situation will be different than mine, but that's what I could think of from personal experience. Take it and think it through.

Best of luck, hope everything goes well for you over there.

stschmidt
07-15-2004, 02:29
The only things I would add are:

Checks - If you have to get cash from finance casual pay will get screwed up every time.

Laundry Detergent - The tabs worked pretty well

550 cord and 100mph/duct tape - can't seem to ever have enough

If you aren't issued decent sunglasses (we were issued low grade Wiley X's that were terrible) get some. We ordered through Oakley once we got here on the AMEX card, they have a decent govn't purchase plan and were helpful.

Just my .02

Viking
07-16-2004, 03:26
"go" bag w/ minimum of extra 7 mags loaded, IV set, large scale map of the AO. VS-17 panel, IR strobe, couple packs of kerlex, extra radio battery, NODS w/ extra AAs, extra 123s for surefire, any other essential grab and go items if needed to bug out quick.

AngelsSix
07-17-2004, 00:23
Alrighty, then....my bag would weigh about 200 lbs, I only weigh 100 or so my damn self..........what are you guys trying to do, kill me before I get there??!! LMAO

Seriously....I meant FIRST time over. I have no damn idea what I am going to be doing. I swear. So to be honest, I guess more is better, because if you don't have it.....then Murphy shows up and starts screwing with everyone, right??

On the sunglasses issue. I have to get some new Oakleys, mine are shitty. So I will see if someone is going to order another round on military so I can get a decent pair or two.

Guy, I have to ask about the cash thing?? Why??

I probably shouldn't ask Guy that, should I?? :D

I like Reaper's advice:
"Frag grenade"........works for me!!:cool:

NDD.....picked up a neat ass Arabic phrase book in the BX the other day.....;) "Don't forget your FAK - with good meds for gastro issues".............what the heck is THIS?? Speak Chair Force, man!!!

Max: thanks for the tip on the power converter....although I have not heard anyone else mention they needed one there, I will definitely check.

Stsschmidt: we Chair Force folks use plastic.....WTH is a check?? I don't even write checks for bills anymore.......oh, yeah....and perdiem, lots of perdiem.

Viking: at the rate of sounding ignorant.....what's a VS-17 panel??

Thanks, guys......keep the info coming, I am glad I asked!!!

NousDefionsDoc
07-17-2004, 06:08
First Aid Kit

Diarrhea

Kyobanim
07-17-2004, 06:49
Not knowing how much 'personal' gear is allowed; how do you prioritize your lists?

Guy
07-17-2004, 07:53
Originally posted by Kyobanim
Not knowing how much 'personal' gear is allowed; how do you prioritize your lists?

I would also try and figure out, where you are going(base/camp) and what exactly you will be doing.

Some of these places have all the amenities you would ever need. Thus alleviating the need to carry a lot of things which you can simply purchase in country tax free.

Team Sergeant
07-17-2004, 09:50
AS,

PM sent.

TS

AngelsSix
07-17-2004, 10:43
Thanks again, gang......I mean it.

I am hearing that around BDad most everything is there you will need. I was thinking we wouldn't need civis because we wouldn't be going out in town, but apparently they are. From what my Team Sgt. said, we get "two beers a day". I laughed at him and he looked at me funny. He was thinking about PSAB and the "old days". I hear that things have changed dratically now. The GZ has quite a bunch of places to visit, apparently.

Guy
07-17-2004, 11:26
The GZ will have everything you need and then some. The area is pretty secure.

Civilian clothing can be purchased there however, nothing for formal wear is available, such if the need arises!

18C4V
08-10-2004, 01:23
A good ass surge protector. And to save money on dvd's. I would install a vcd player in your laptop so you could watch vcd's in addition to your dvd player in your laptop.

Martin
08-10-2004, 03:37
Originally posted by 18C4V
A good ass surge protector. And to save money on dvd's. I would install a vcd player in your laptop so you could watch vcd's in addition to your dvd player in your laptop.

DVD programs can almost always play VCDs, both use MPEG(2) encoding.

If you have any backuped movies though, be sure to check that you have all the codecs (software) needed to watch them.

HTH

danjam
08-10-2004, 04:46
I always like a mossy net with me, just to keep those flies away if anything. They pack real small, and if you can get the ones that are for the head, this is quite good if you are sitting/lying around at nights for extended periods of time.

And perhaps a portable stove to make some coffee/tea, (and coffee ;-) ) it always nice on a cold night.

suncream is also a good one to have, although you should be covered up even if it is damn hot, just to put on your face .. ears and back of your neck...

be safe

ktek01
08-10-2004, 06:22
Originally posted by AngelsSix
[B]Alrighty, then....my bag would weigh about 200 lbs, I only weigh 100 or so my damn self..........what are you guys trying to do, kill me before I get there??!! LMAO

Guy, I have to ask about the cash thing?? Why??

The PX will usually take credit or debit cards, everything else over here is cash only.

NDD.....picked up a neat ass Arabic phrase book in the BX the other day.....;) "Don't forget your FAK - with good meds for gastro issues".............what the heck is THIS?? Speak Chair Force, man!!!

Immodium etc.. drink the water and you will find out. :D Do not drink the water, dont even brush your teeth with it, bottled water only. Dont forget that local ice is made from local water, surprising number of people do. LOL

Max: thanks for the tip on the power converter....although I have not heard anyone else mention they needed one there, I will definitely check.

Most PCs and a lot of other devices will run dual voltage, should say so on the power supply if it does, if it doesnt you need a converter. Dont forget spare fuses for the onverter too, and a surge protector for your stuff.
[/QUOTE]

A good pair of dust goggles and a decent mask, sandstorms can be bad and the sand is like talcum powder. I would also but some of those space saver bags, they are air tight and big enough to keep a laptop in when it isnt being used. That will cut down some of the dust on your electronics. Most gets in when it is running though, bring paint brushes to dust off the PC and for your weapon.

ktek01
08-11-2004, 03:16
A couple of other things I just thought of, muzzle caps for M4, and finger cots may work on your pistol. I like the Otis cleaning kit, and use the Bore Snake for my rifle and sidearm. Usually brush them off daily with the paint brushes, and punch the bores with the bore snake. Only takes a few minutes for each.

Polypro
08-11-2004, 13:31
Here's some of it, see if you missed anything.

In addition to above, I'd add spare parts...bulbs, bezels, etc...

Tools...Allens, Screwdrivers.

P

AngelsSix
08-14-2004, 20:19
Looks like I have everything so far, whatever I don't have I can beg, borrow or steal (not literally) once I get whereever we are going. They moved our departure date WAY up, so I will be leaving earlier that expected (talk about trying to get everything ddone at once!)
If I don't get a chance to check in before I go, thanks and I try to say hi if I can get a hold of a computer and a few free minutes.

Martin
08-15-2004, 03:20
God speed.

AngelsSix
08-28-2004, 22:35
As some of you may know, I have made it in safely. Unfortunately, there was one very important item which we left off of our gear list. A damn heavy-duty converter!! I can't blow dry my hair. Everything is 220 here, and the wattage of my blow dryer as around 1600. Fry a fuse in a minute, it will.

I am going to check the BX, but I am willing to bet they aren't carrying blow dryers. :D

ktek01
08-29-2004, 05:47
As some of you may know, I have made it in safely. Unfortunately, there was one very important item which we left off of our gear list. A damn heavy-duty converter!! I can't blow dry my hair. Everything is 220 here, and the wattage of my blow dryer as around 1600. Fry a fuse in a minute, it will.

I am going to check the BX, but I am willing to bet they aren't carrying blow dryers. :D

The big grey ones they sell at the PX didnt work? They have those, and a big round one at some. Try the big PX at Victory, they have everything, you can even buy a car there. LOL

The Reaper
08-29-2004, 07:37

They probably sell hair clippers.:D

I can dry my hair with a towel.

TR

P36
08-30-2004, 01:40
http://www.stayonline.com/transformers/index.asp

A6, I'm now going through the same thing you were, thus my reason for reading this thread.

Here is a good site for power converters for Iraq and other places. They'll ship to APO if you still need one, I believe. It's a good website with handy info.

stschmidt
08-30-2004, 01:52
If there is anything you can't locate down there shoot me a PM with what you need and your address and I will MPS it down to you. Can generally get things pretty cheap from local market up here.

ktek01
08-30-2004, 10:24
Hey A6, I was at the North Victory PX today, they have a 2,000 watt converter for about $100. They also had two different brands of hair dryers there.

AngelsSix
09-01-2004, 02:30
I Pm'd Ktek to see if they have a 220 BD up there at Victory. If not I will have to get a heavy-duty converter. I am working from 1000-2200 and I wil not go to bed with wet hair. I have to sit outside for almost an hour to get it dry by itself (it is fairly long and think).
Thanks for the help!!

BadMuther
09-01-2004, 21:53
I Pm'd Ktek to see if they have a 220 BD up there at Victory. If not I will have to get a heavy-duty converter. I am working from 1000-2200 and I wil not go to bed with wet hair. I have to sit outside for almost an hour to get it dry by itself (it is fairly long and think).
Thanks for the help!!

War is Hell! ;)

AngelsSix
09-08-2004, 04:24
Ain't it a bitch? :munchin

I found a blowdryer, I am in business. All I need now is an iron!! :lifter

Solid
09-08-2004, 06:04
There's a girl in ROTC with the same problem. She cut it off (not shaved as she said that was too trendy- just a short haircut). Solved the problem of critters getting in it during FTXs.

Solid