PDA

View Full Version : SAS 'training Libyan military'

nmap
09-12-2009, 08:23
My first thought is: Not good.

I leave further analysis to others who know the AO and those involved better.

--------------------------------------------------
It has been alleged that the SAS has been training Libyan special forces, despite Colonel Muammar Gaddafi's regime having supplied arms to the IRA.

Britain's elite regiment has been passing on skills to its Libyan counterparts for the past six months according to The Daily Telegraph.

SAS sources told the newspaper they are unhappy with the arrangement, which they believe could be connected to the release of Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi last month.

They are also angry at being ordered to train soldiers from a country that provided the IRA with weapons used against British troops during the Troubles in Northern Ireland.

An SAS source said: "A small SAS training team have been doing it for the last six months as part of this cosy deal with the Libyans. From our perspective we cannot see it as part of anything else other than the Megrahi deal."

The Ministry of Defence does not comment on special forces activities.

It is believed the first moves towards setting up the training agreement were begun after Tony Blair visited Libya as Prime Minister in 2004. The deal was only finalised and "signed off" by Gordon Brown this year, the newspaper said.

LINK (http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090912/tuk-sas-training-libyan-military-dba1618.html)

Surgicalcric
09-12-2009, 08:27
Was discussing this with a few of my SAS counterparts this morning... They are none to happy about it happening either.

That said, not every thing is always as it appears.

Crip

Richard
09-12-2009, 09:17
Works both ways with 'close' friends and 'closer' enemies. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

7624U
09-12-2009, 09:40
Should read like this instead.

Britain's elite regiment has been passing on outdated skills to its Libyan counterparts for the past six months. Sgt Soap Mactavish was qouted saying they are the best ive ever seen. according to The Daily Telegraph.

The Reaper
09-12-2009, 10:07
Should read like this instead.

Britain's elite regiment has been passing on outdated skills to its Libyan counterparts for the past six months. Sgt Soap Mactavish was qouted saying they are the best ive ever seen. according to The Daily Telegraph.

Exactly.

Billy Waugh was there with other Americans doing the same thing many years ago.

Nice COD reference, BTW 762!

TR

PRB
09-12-2009, 15:21
Anyone that has trained ME armies knows this is much ado about nothing...they have no NCO Corps, just privates that have more time in grade than others, they don't teach therefore they don't learn.
The officer Corps is politically apponted to keep the annointed one in power so skills/ability have nothing to do with anything and they don't go to the training as they 'already know everything' so they don't learn anything ergo it's usually a total waste of time.
The Israeli's haven't survived so long just because of their superior army...they are always fighting totalally inept armies that cannot coordinate beyond a Company level.
Any training conducted has zero shelf life and must be retaught on every iteration of contact.
I'd rather no one trained them either but ain't losing any sleep over it.