PDA

View Full Version : SF License Plate

pmthompson503
09-12-2009, 03:09
I work Robin Sage every few classes as a aux driver. I was in the Guard (13B) and I was wondering if I would be classifed as an poser if I put an SF License Plate on the front of my truck.

Also yes I did search for this topic and did not find anything.

Thanks
PT

Pete
09-12-2009, 03:32
Person who see's the plate, "Hey, that's a cool plate. What group were you in?"

Person with the plate on the car, "Oh, I never was in SF but I work with them now and again. Cool plate, huh?"

glebo
09-12-2009, 04:54
Kinda what Pete said.....and, if you have that on your vehicle while performing your "role"....dontcha think that might clue in the bad guys??

I don't know how much they stick to "roll" now-a-days, but it would be kinda a give-away.

If you have another vehicle, talk to the SWCies and maybe have them fabricate an "auxiliary" tag for you that you can use on your non role vehicle.

Just a thought and my .002 worth.

Thanks for helping and supporting training our great troops too.:lifter

Team Sergeant
09-12-2009, 08:51
I was in the Guard (13B) and I was wondering if I would be classifed as an poser if I put an SF License Plate on the front of my truck.

PT

Yes

Richard
09-12-2009, 09:03
...wondering if I would be classifed as an poser if I put an SF License Plate on the front of my truck.

Yep on the plate - concur on the opsec issues with Robin Sage - but you can always join the SFA as an Associate Member and put an SFA sticker in your rear window...as long as you're honest about it.

And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Matsonian
09-12-2009, 09:05
And yes again.

tom kelly
09-12-2009, 11:11
I work Robin Sage every few classes as a aux driver. I was in the Guard (13B) and I was wondering if I would be classifed as an poser if I put an SF License Plate on the front of my truck.

Also yes I did search for this topic and did not find anything.

Thanks
PT

Sometimes it does not pay to advertise, especially when you are not who you say you are. Just my .02...tom kelly

NousDefionsDoc
09-12-2009, 11:18
And they say there's no such thing as a stupid question...

pmthompson503
09-12-2009, 11:58
Thanks everyone for the intelligent replys. One of my pet peeves is a poser so I just didnt want to step on some ones toes.

koz
09-12-2009, 13:36
We had a support guy who had his SF gold ring, SF sticker, Flash sticker, and SF license plate. He never said he was SF around us but I'd bet some serious money that when he was at the bar - he was one bad M-Fing killer hero cool guy...

stickey
09-12-2009, 16:20
We had a support guy who had his SF gold ring, SF sticker, Flash sticker, and SF license plate. He never said he was SF around us but I'd bet some serious money that when he was at the bar - he was one bad M-Fing killer hero cool guy...

I know a few support guys (non'tabbed) that have a simple flash sticker on their truck/car, 2 inch by 2 inch maybe, nothing gawky or overbearing and knowing them personally, I would be willing to bet they aren't going out to bars telling "hero" stories. Just proud to serve in their respective group(s). Are they posers, not at all.

Irishsquid
09-12-2009, 17:53
I know a few support guys (non'tabbed) that have a simple flash sticker on their truck/car, 2 inch by 2 inch maybe, nothing gawky or overbearing and knowing them personally, I would be willing to bet they aren't going out to bars telling "hero" stories. Just proud to serve in their respective group(s). Are they posers, not at all.

We have several guys in the NQP at B/1/20th SFG(A) who have the same stickers...and they don't strike me as the type to make claims of SF glory in a bar. That said, I don't sport one.

Surgicalcric
09-12-2009, 18:08
I know a few support guys...

We have several guys in the NQP at B/1/20th SFG(A)...

There is a vast difference in having one 2" x 2" Group flash sticker on a vehicle versus a car tag that says Special Forces or having multiple SF stickers (flash, arrowhead and tab) on a vehicle. I would expect that you two can comprehend the context Koz's post was made in and see the differences in the two scenarios. If not I will be more than happy to shed some light on the subject.

Crip

stickey
09-12-2009, 18:44
... comprehend the context Koz's post was made in and see the differences in the two scenarios. If not I will be more than happy to shed some light on the subject.

Crip

Completely comprehend it. My post was not directed at Koz's statement, but for the original poster that there are NQP folks out there that serve in our unit (det) that show their pride/camaraderie/etc... by having such sticker/paraphernalia. And at the same time, they aren't the type to flex or trump up there affiliation or duties within. Though, as Koz mentioned, I'm sure there are detachment NQP's that try to rope in someone with a bit of exaggerated swagger.

Irishsquid
09-13-2009, 00:23
Completely comprehend it. My post was not directed at Koz's statement, but for the original poster that there are NQP folks out there that serve in our unit (det) that show their pride/camaraderie/etc... by having such sticker/paraphernalia. And at the same time, they aren't the type to flex or trump up there affiliation or duties within. Though, as Koz mentioned, I'm sure there are detachment NQP's that try to rope in someone with a bit of exaggerated swagger.

Agreed. More of a statement on a better way to show pride, without being/seeming poser-esque.

Five-O
09-13-2009, 07:29

Outta my lane but I would bet several pay checks the above statement is highly accurate.

Stras
11-01-2009, 20:08
U.S. Army Special Forces License Plate
Colorado DMV

Of note for the support guys who are now authorized an "S" indentifier to show you are Special Operations. You are NOT authorized to obtain this license plate.

Available For: Passenger cars, trucks that do not exceed 16,000 pounds empty weight, noncommercial or recreation vehicles, motor homes, motorcycles.

Who Qualifies: Any person who has received an honorable discharge or is retired, or is an active or reserve member of the U.S. Army awarded prefix "3" or suffix "S" or a designation of "5G", 18/180 MOS, Special Forces Tab, OSS or UNPIK-8240.

Requirements:

Submit a copy of form DD214 (issued by the U.S. Government), or
Orders demonstrate being awarded prefix "3" or suffix "S" or a designation of "5G", 18/180 MOS, Special Forces Tab, OSS or UNPIK-8240.
Qualifying person must submit form DR 2382.

Fees: One time fee of $50.00 for issuance and replacement of plates, in addition to other taxes and fees.

Number of Plates Allowed: Unlimited.

TD 2/10
11-01-2009, 21:29
Got mine for the Mustang and bike. If anything it is a nice keepsake to have hangng on the wall once I retire.

Dozer523
11-01-2009, 23:10
a friend of mine in Virginia has a nice SFA one. http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=FORCE

Utah Bob
11-02-2009, 11:00
Colorado DMV

Of note for the support guys who are now authorized an "S" indentifier to show you are Special Operations. You are NOT authorized to obtain this license plate.

Available For: Passenger cars, trucks that do not exceed 16,000 pounds empty weight, noncommercial or recreation vehicles, motor homes, motorcycles.

Who Qualifies: Any person who has received an honorable discharge or is retired, or is an active or reserve member of the U.S. Army awarded prefix "3" or suffix "S" or a designation of "5G", 18/180 MOS, Special Forces Tab, OSS or UNPIK-8240.

Requirements:

Orders demonstrate being awarded prefix "3" or suffix "S" or a designation of "5G", 18/180 MOS, Special Forces Tab, OSS or UNPIK-8240.

Fees: One time fee of $50.00 for issuance and replacement of plates, in addition to other taxes and fees.

I think I'll give myself a Christmas present.:D

18DWife
11-02-2009, 11:28
Colorado DMV

Requirements:

damn I wish TN had that :)

SkiBumCFO
11-03-2009, 21:47
Don't remember having a sticker or plate on my car when i was on active duty or in the reserves and used to give a few friends crap about their stickers but the one advantage of being an old fart is that it's okay to have a nice Colorado SF plate on my vehicle - they did an excellent job in designing them. That said i was pulled over sunday night for doing 80 mph in a 55 zone and now have a court date so maybe another QP visited the officer's wife one night and now he hates all SF as I swear i wasnt going that fast!! ;)

Trip_Wire (RIP)
11-04-2009, 17:19
a friend of mine in Virginia has a nice SFA one. http://www.dmv.state.va.us/exec/vehicle/splates/info.asp?idnm=FORCE

I like this one! :D

lksteve
11-04-2009, 17:51
I think I'll give myself a Christmas present.:DIf she's still county clerk, Earlene will have some confusion...LOL...

Thinking the same thing myself...

sitfly200
11-09-2009, 14:25
Speaking as a cadre here in Pineland the emphasis on realism at least with my lane and some others I work closely with is of utmost importance. As for the plate, not having it will keep uncomfortable questions from being asked and eyes from bracketing you in. Being an aux out here is an honorable role, and you guys facilitate the most important training we can give these guys. Be proud of that and the part you play.

JJ2K1
11-10-2009, 10:27
This is not directly related to an SF license plate but I thought this was worthy to bring up.

DMV hands out first 12 'Fallen Veteran' license plates (http://www.lvrj.com/news/breaking_news/DMV--hands-out-first-12-Fallen-Veteran-license-plates-69591742.html)

Richard
11-10-2009, 15:08
The Colorado SF plate is nice looking - Texas is working on getting an SF license plate - Texas Gold Star plates are available for the family, mother, and spouse.

Richard

Utah Bob
11-10-2009, 17:27
Seems odd that NC doesn't have an SF plate.

The Reaper
11-10-2009, 18:15
Seems odd that NC doesn't have an SF plate.

They tried.

DMV said not enough people wanted it.

TR

Utah Bob
11-10-2009, 19:08
They tried.

DMV said not enough people wanted it.

TR

Hard to believe. I wonder what their measurement of "not enough" is?

Colorado population - 4,939,456
North Carolina population - 9,222,414

DMVs are frequently run by idiots.

The Reaper
11-10-2009, 19:10
Hard to believe. I wonder what their measurement of "not enough" is?

Colorado population - 4,939,456
North Carolina population - 9,222,414

DMVs are frequently run by idiots.

Same service, coming soon to a health care agency near you.

TR

ElRog
11-11-2009, 06:55
PMThompson-

Reading your post, and then the response about maybe some type of Auxillay type plate got me thinking.

If you get/make some type of custom "Free Pineland" plate that would be cool. It would mean a lot more to those in the know.

If you find one or design one I would be interested in checking it out.

I always wanted to make a plate using a sheet of steel, then use a coat hanger to form the symbol or words desired. Place the coat hanger between the steel and a layer of C4. When the C4 is blown, it will embed the hanger into the steel. In addition it will smooth out the face of the steel. Don't use too much C4 or it will curl it up ashtray style. Ask a Demo guy out there for a better description. Either way, custom you up a plate!

Just my thoughts.

swpa19
11-11-2009, 15:33
Awhile back, when the 11thSFG(A) USAR was an active unit, some people in PA tried to get one initiated. Im trusting an old and fading memory, but it seems to me that PADOT needed an advance order of X amount of plates. That number was never realized, so they wouldnt initiate the plate.

Utah Bob
11-11-2009, 16:30
Awhile back, when the 11thSFG(A) USAR was an active unit, some people in PA tried to get one initiated. Im trusting an old and fading memory, but it seems to me that PADOT needed an advance order of X amount of plates. That number was never realized, so they wouldnt initiate the plate.

When I was in Florida it only required a petition with x amount of signatures. No pre-orders required. Each state has it's own procedures.

alelks
11-11-2009, 21:00
I contacted NC DMV when this was first posted and was told you have to go through your legislative body to request a special tag so I sent the following email with no response so I sent a follow up email and still no response:

Email was sent to: Ron.Sutton@ncleg.net

Ron,

Being a former military member I thought you might appreciate this more than some of my other representatives. I currently reside In St. Pauls, NC and own a business in Lumberton (Postnet at Biggs Park Mall). I am also a retired Special Forces Soldier.

I was just wondering if NC could adopt a plate like the one that is currently available in the state of Colorado.

Here is a picture of the plate with the Special Forces Crest on it. You can past this link into your browser in order to view it.

http://www.atvgraphics.org/images/SF-License-Plate.jpg

Colorado DMV

Of note for the support guys who are now authorized an "S" identifier to show you are Special Operations. You are NOT authorized to obtain this license plate. (Ron this is a very important part as everyone in Special Forces is not special forces qualified. Many are support personnel but and are authorized to wear the Green Beret.

Requirements:

Thank you for your time,

Allen Elks

Utah Bob
11-11-2009, 21:26
I contacted NC DMV when this was first posted and was told you have to go through your legislative body to request a special tag so I sent the following email with no response so I sent a follow up email and still no response:

Ron,

Being a former military member I thought you might appreciate this more than some of my other representatives. I currently reside In St. Pauls, NC and own a business in Lumberton (Postnet at Biggs Park Mall). I am also a retired Special Forces Soldier.

I was just wondering if NC could adopt a plate like the one that is currently available in the state of Colorado.

Here is a picture of the plate with the Special Forces Crest on it. You can past this link into your browser in order to view it.

Colorado DMV

Of note for the support guys who are now authorized an "S" identifier to show you are Special Operations. You are NOT authorized to obtain this license plate. (Ron this is a very important part as everyone in Special Forces is not special forces qualified. Many are support personnel but and are authorized to wear the Green Beret.

Requirements:

Thank you for your time,

Allen Elks

Great. See if you can get a grass roots letter writing campaign going. Keep it up till they show the white flag.:D

Stras
12-07-2009, 11:57
Just picked up my tag last week in CO. I'm here at Bragg if you need a better picture of the SF Plate for re-send of your letter.

Masochist
12-08-2009, 19:40
Originally Posted by swpa19 http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/fusion/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=295882&postcount=33)

As of 30NOV09, Pennsylvania authorized service license plates in addition to those military plates (Purple Heart, MOH, POW, etc.) already in circulation. Still nothing about specific branches/MOS within each service. :(

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:
November 30, 2009

PennDOT Introduces Branch of Service Veteran License Plates
New plates for honorably discharged veterans.

Honorably discharged veterans of the United States Armed Forces have a new way to proudly display their service as PennDOT recently announced the availability of a new series of military license plates honoring veterans of the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps and Coast Guard.

The new plates feature the standard Pennsylvania license plate colors of blue, white and yellow along with the applicable branch of service emblem or logo on the left side of the plate. Pennsylvania is printed at the top of the plate, with the name of the applicable branch of service at the bottom.

To obtain one of these plates, honorably discharged veterans must complete and mail Form MV-150, Application for U.S. Military Veteran Registration Plate, to PennDOT and include a certified copy of their DD-214, along with a $20 fee. Forms, additional information, and images of the new plates are available at PennDOT’s Military Personnel/Veterans Information Center online (http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/militaryCenter/licensePlates.shtml).

SOURCE: http://www.esfportal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=512&objID=404&PageID=482396&mode=2&contentid=http://pubcontent.state.pa.us/publishedcontent/publish/cop_general_government_operations/oa/oa_portal/hrm/erc/empbulletins/articles/113.html

Masochist
12-29-2009, 13:46
Came across this today via a military.com email:

Military Logo Licenses in Ohio
Week of December 28, 2009

Veterans and servicemembers now have the option of displaying the U.S. Armed Forces symbol on their driver license or state identification card through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV). There is no additional cost to have the symbol added, other than the normal fees associated with applying for or renewing a DL or ID. The Armed Forces symbol can be added to the DL or ID at any Deputy Registrar. The applicant must submit a copy of his/her DD-214 displaying their military service or honorable discharge from the U.S. Armed Forces. For more information, visit the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles website (http://www.bmv.ohio.gov/).

18DWife
12-29-2009, 14:12
So I assume it would be expensive to register my car in NC ?

I honestly have no clue its registered in TN at this point in time ,but we are at Bragg for awhile . I guess I will have to do some digging and find out .
If anyone knows info would be greatly appreciated :)

MtnGoat
12-29-2009, 14:55

Ron,

Colorado DMV

Requirements:

Thank you for your time,

Allen Elks
alelks

You get anything back on this email yet?? Need some more sent to the NCDMV??

koz
12-29-2009, 16:27
So I assume it would be expensive to register my car in NC ?

I honestly have no clue its registered in TN at this point in time ,but we are at Bragg for awhile . I guess I will have to do some digging and find out .
If anyone knows info would be greatly appreciated :)

http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howToRegister.html

http://www.bragg.army.mil/sja/LAO%20TakeOnes/NC%20Auto%20Tax.doc

Since you already own the car, it's probably cheaper to keep it registered in TN.

The Reaper
12-30-2009, 09:50
http://www.ncdot.org/dmv/vehicle_services/registrationtitling/howToRegister.html

Since you already own the car, it's probably cheaper to keep it registered in TN.

I can virtually guarantee it.

TR

18DWife
12-30-2009, 10:13

Thanks for the info
I wouldn't mind paying some ,but nothing outrageous :eek:

Stras
01-06-2010, 22:57
Thanks for the info
I wouldn't mind paying some ,but nothing outrageous :eek:

I just went through the nutroll with my trailer.

The clowns at the DMV will gladly take your money here in NC... Then about 3 months later you'll get your tax due notice from the County clerks. Even though your husband is military and not a resident, if you're both listed on the vehicle, you (the spouse) may have to pay taxes on the car. yes, it's bizarre, welcome to NC.

I recommend that you register your vehicle elsewhere.