PDA

View Full Version : More Questions/Advice

Foret
09-11-2009, 10:52
First off I would like to thank all of you in the service that do your part to protect and fight for this country and I am proud to say that I will soon be joining your ranks with the ambition and goal of becoming a truly professional soldier. However, with this decision comes many questions and unfortunately recruiters have a less than reputable reputation... With that in mind, I must thank you all a second time for creating such a wonderful resource in this website. Countless hours have been spent sitting and reading every piece of information I could gather all over the internet, none of which has been as extensive or as helpful as the first hand experiences shared and discussed on this forum. I do, however, look forward to receiving my copy of "Get Selected for Special Forces" which, again, is another piece of information that has come from this site. I get shipped out on the next available trip to basic, and unfortunately I was not able to take the short route through the 18x and am instead held back due to a single pin in my ankle. However, I look forward to working my hardest through BT and AIT so that I may get a chance to go to SFAS... "The greater the challenge, the greater the triumph." So with all that said, I have used the 'search' button my fair share of times and apologize for any redundancy in the questions, but these are only the questions I was unable to find out for myself...

1. Eight years ago I fell while climbing a cliff and got a 3 inch pin in my ankle as a result. I was told that it could come out at any point after it was healed, but surgery isn't always the cheapest route. My recruiter has informed me that my best option would be to sign on as an infantryman, get assigned to a unit after BT and AIT, then talk to the medic about getting the pin removed. From what I have researched it is a fairly quick and simple surgery as it serves no purpose now other than disallowing me to be cleared for airborne training. I have seen lots of topics on medical waivers, but none on non-permanent hardware. Is it possible to get a medical waiver for my situation? True, I would like to have the surgery once in the army, if nothing else just to be rid of any future problems… but I have talked to many people who have been discharged for medical reasons or not allowed any medical service due to non-necessity. Is this something I need to worry about? (To be honest, all of those people just mentioned did not seem very determined in their individual situations... but it presents a concern non-the-less) Lastly, when I do have the surgery and I am all healed up and ready to go, is there anything about the surgery itself that would impede my going to SFAS?

2. Unfortunately, my recruiter is not very well versed in the SF area and was unable to answer this one... With the 18x I know that you sign a 5 year contract...Because of my ankle I was unable to go straight through the pipeline. Will I sign a new contract once I enter the Q course? And further what happens when that timeframe ends, do I sign a new 5 year contract when it is over or are there other options? (I am entering the military as a career; I fully expect to be a soldier for as long as I am able) Any help would be greatly appreciated on any of these topics.

Regardless, however, I have a 1600m race and a 25m target... a long way to go with one goal at a time. I am excited to see the outcome of these next few years as I further my military career and am honored to have the opportunity to speak to a Quiet Professional.