PDA

View Full Version : Lessons learned East Timor

Huey14
07-14-2004, 02:07
I have found a page about East Timor. It was written in 2000, so the op wasn't over yet.

Just to keep it to SF (the generic term), the NZ and Aus SAS are generally beleived to have set up OPs to observe WT militia members and members of the Indo armed forces (the last one only as far as I understand it). They had some contacts, but I don't know anything about those.

http://www.vuw.ac.nz/css/docs/briefing_papers/ET.html

Tuukka
07-15-2004, 11:05
IIRC there was atleast one ambush attempt against an SAS vehicle convoy by the militia. Two militia killed and two SAS soldiers wounded.

Huey14
07-16-2004, 04:53
I haven't heard anything about that. Have you got any more details on it?

Tuukka
07-16-2004, 13:41
It was on the news at the time. There was some kind of BS investigation against an SAS sergeant for "war crimes" due to the incident, subsequently he was cleared of all charges and the government apologized to the sergeant for the whole deal.

The fact that the majority of their operations didnt reach the news is a good thing, agreed?

Huey14
07-16-2004, 16:21
Ah yes, I remember now. The Aussie Sgt. was accused of kicking a body, apparantly to make sure it's dead (makes sense). Someone saw him and reported it, hence the investigation.

Yep, I agree with you there. No news is good news in a way.

I was talking to a mate of mine who left the army just before Timor, and has a few mates still in. Apparantly there were quite a few more contacts that wern't really reported for whatever reason.

Torleif
09-10-2004, 09:48
Irish ARW was incountry at the time as well.

Torleif.