PDA

View Full Version : The Quiety Professionals Definition of "Fatal Funnel"

MidwayFlanker
09-08-2009, 11:49
Quiet Professionals,

I am currently apart of a response force here at my duty station in North Dakota where we regularly do recapture and recovery excerises at while on duty, as well as off duty. For a while now I have been butting heads with another Sargeant on some of the steps and terms used in CQB/SRT/MOUT operations, the biggest on being, "what defines a fatal funnel?"

My debate is that the "fatal funnel" refers to hallways, stairwells, doorways, etc. that silhouettes the breacher against the entry point from the likely hostile forces in the opposing/unsecure room. Looking through FM 7-8 and the resources we have at our installation and my self purchased books, I feel that the "fatal funnel" is anything in line of sight with the doorway, a cone shape with the choke point at the doorway itself. while the Sargeant I work with states it is "only the doorway its self", as if its a fatal path only counting whats directly in front of the door.

We have been arguing this for hours if not days and though I still show him what it states in the books I have looked into along with images, he tries to disprove what I have said with images and answers from sites like wikianswers.com

No after telling my little situation, I was curious as to whats correct in terms of the "fatal funnel", what your definition is, as well as a third-party perspective on it from a Quiet Professional.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Midway Flanker

The Reaper
09-08-2009, 11:57
Quiet Professionals,

I am currently apart of a response force here at my duty station in North Dakota where we regularly do recapture and recovery excerises at while on duty, as well as off duty. For a while now I have been butting heads with another Sargeant on some of the steps and terms used in CQB/SRT/MOUT operations, the biggest on being, "what defines a fatal funnel?"

My debate is that the "fatal funnel" refers to hallways, stairwells, doorways, etc. that silhouettes the breacher against the entry point from the likely hostile forces in the opposing/unsecure room. Looking through FM 7-8 and the resources we have at our installation and my self purchased books, I feel that the "fatal funnel" is anything in line of sight with the doorway, a cone shape with the choke point at the doorway itself. while the Sargeant I work with states it is "only the doorway its self", as if its a fatal path only counting whats directly in front of the door.

We have been arguing this for hours if not days and though I still show him what it states in the books I have looked into along with images, he tries to disprove what I have said with images and answers from sites like wikianswers.com

No after telling my little situation, I was curious as to whats correct in terms of the "fatal funnel", what your definition is, as well as a third-party perspective on it from a Quiet Professional.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Midway Flanker

MF:

Not sure who "Quiety Professionals" are and the title is spelled Sergeant, but we are not going to discuss TTPs here.

Too much potential to hurt some of our brothers to satisfy your personal curiosity.

TR