PDA

View Full Version : The hunt is on for more ammunition in Nevada, U.S.

BMT (RIP)
09-06-2009, 07:39
http://www.lvrj.com/news/57603387.html

BMT

HOLLiS
09-06-2009, 08:25
Thanks for the article.

H.

lksteve
09-06-2009, 08:29
Wonder if the Cabela's near Reno has the same problem?

Peregrino
09-06-2009, 09:05
Rumor has it that pressure is already easing. I've heard (actually seen some proof!) that the worst has already passed, that by November we'll see "the light at the end of the tunnel". Given the boom - bust cycle associated with panic buying, those manufacturers that didn't look long-term and created too much excess capacity could be in real trouble. I predict a fire-sale mentality by spring as glutted hoarders stop buying and warehouses fill up again. The same will hold true for firearms. Some of the key points in the article are the observation that retail prices have remained stable, and fears of bans haven't panned out. Chicken Littles can only sustain a state of panic for a limited time; maintaining it requires ever escalating stimulus which hasn't happened (at least not with firearms). Those of us who were well situated before the panic and didn't react to the hype should be able to reap significant benefit after everybody else goes back to "head in the sand" mode. It's all about timing. :cool:

swpa19
09-06-2009, 10:29
Rumor has it that pressure is already easing. I've heard (actually seen some proof!) that the worst has already passed
Went into our local WalMart this morn. Shocked me. They
had .40 Cal, 9mm, 7.62X39 and other various hunting rounds.

Didnt have my .380 or .45. They told me that what is happening is the local gunshops are coming in and buying most of the stuff up. Even though there is a limit, theyre bringing friends and family in to buy, thereby creating a shortage while raising their own prices. I was there at 0545 this morn. The clerk said he had just completed stocking the last order.

They have opted NOT to be specific as to when an order or certain items on that order will be arriving.

There does however seem to be some lessining of the buying pressure though. Ill find out next weekend. There is a PGCA (Pennsylvania Gun Collectors Show) being held. Ill see what the buying traffic looks like.

Defender968
09-06-2009, 13:46
Even though there is a limit, theyre bringing friends and family in to buy, thereby creating a shortage while raising their own prices.

That's happening all over from what I've seen, I've seen it in my AO and a buddy of mine saw it happen in Western NC, small town, everyone knows everyone, saw the gun shop owner come in with 2 employees and buy all the 45 ammo and most of the 550 rnd boxes of 22, he went by their shop later that week and saw the ammo with a healthy markup.

I understand they have to make a living, but I don't think they're having that much trouble getting ammo any more, for a while everyone was pinched, but now as you said it seems to be slowing down so it seems to me they may be trying to manipulate supply a bit.

armymom1228
09-06-2009, 19:30
That's happening all over from what I've seen, I've seen it in my AO and a buddy of mine saw it happen in Western NC, small town, everyone knows everyone, saw the gun shop owner come in with 2 employees and buy all the 45 ammo and most of the 550 rnd boxes of 22, he went by their shop later that week and saw the ammo with a healthy markup.

I understand they have to make a living, but I don't think they're having that much trouble getting ammo any more, for a while everyone was pinched, but now as you said it seems to be slowing down so it seems to me they may be trying to manipulate supply a bit.

As I recall, price gouging is still illegal. Someone might want to put in a call to whatever it is called in NC. A consumer affairs department for the state in Raliegh is it? I understand capitalism and all that, but greed just irks me. :(

Defender968
09-06-2009, 19:50
As I recall, price gouging is still illegal. Someone might want to put in a call to whatever it is called in NC. A consumer affairs department for the state in Raliegh is it? I understand capitalism and all that, but greed just irks me. :(

But I think price gouging by definition is only after a declared state of emergency and it has to be an unreasonable price. Ammo at gun shops is normally much more expensive than at Wal-Mart, so if they simply sell it at their normal price, or a little higher it would be much harder to support the charge of gouging if it would be possible at all. I'm not condoning it by any stretch, I definitely understood some of the shops who had ranges and needed the ammo to hold CWP classes, they were having to cancel classes for lack of ammo, and I know for a fact that was happening, but to buy just to resell I don't really agree with, however by the letter of the law I don't think it's illegal, after all capitalism is supply and demand. Now there may be anti-trust laws that could possibly apply but I think that would be a stretch. And I doubt any DA/Solicitor is going to press forward with that kind of case.

Razor
09-06-2009, 21:27
All that said, Defender, there's nothing stopping someone from looking the gun shop owner in the eye, telling him you know what he did and think it sucks, and you'll be sure to tell everyone you know so they can decide if that's the kind of shop they want to do business with in the future.

The Reaper
09-06-2009, 21:39
Hard to sell guns with no ammo in stock.

TR

BigJimCalhoun
09-06-2009, 21:42
Hard to sell guns with no ammo in stock.

TR

Neighbor witnessed that....
Some dude was in the store and had a big wad of cash and was ready to buy a 40 cal. When he found out there was no ammo for what he was buying he became angry and left without buying.

Defender968
09-07-2009, 08:02
All that said, Defender, there's nothing stopping someone from looking the gun shop owner in the eye, telling him you know what he did and think it sucks, and you'll be sure to tell everyone you know so they can decide if that's the kind of shop they want to do business with in the future.

Concur, the guy I saw doing it did so after I picked up my ammo, and he was picking up ammo for a class, like I said I didn't have a problem with that can't teach a shooting class without ammo. My buddy in NC let everyone he knew about the situation, and has stopped going to that shop.

Team Sergeant
09-07-2009, 08:27
Neighbor witnessed that....
Some dude was in the store and had a big wad of cash and was ready to buy a 40 cal. When he found out there was no ammo for what he was buying he became angry and left without buying.

A gun shop owner with a brain larger than a pea would put away two boxes of ammo for every weapon he had on display.

This is called capitalism, the smart ones make it while the stupid ones go the way of the Dodo.

TS

incarcerated
10-12-2009, 18:50
This stands to kill indoor shooting ranges in California . We are one year into the ammo shortage, which was just beginning to ease up. Takes effect in February, 2011.
http://www.examiner.com/x-17495-San-Diego-Immigration-Policy-Examiner~y2009m10d12-Schwarzenegger-signs-bill-limiting-ammunition-sales

Schwarzenegger signs bill limiting ammunition sales

October 12, 12:50 PM
Bowing to pressure from Mexico and the anti-gun lobby, California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger last night signed Assembly Bill 962 restricting ammunition sales. Beginning February 1, 2011 retailers will be required to place all ammo behind counters and create a registry of handgun ammunition buyers by obtaining their fingerprint and recording their drivers license numbers.

In a letter to the State Assembly the Governor stated: "Utilized properly, this type of information is invaluable for keeping communities safe and preventing dangerous felons from committing crimes with firearms. Assembly Bill 962 reasonably regulates access to ammunition and improves public safety without placing undue burdens on consumers. For these reasons, I am pleased to sign this bill."
The legislation also requires face to face transfers of ammunition which will eliminate any mail order or Internet purchases of ammunition by State residents. Retailers like Cabella's reportedly aren't waiting for the bill to take effect and will stop shipping to CA soon.

This bill will exacerbate an already tight market in CA for ammunition and unfairly burden law abiding citizens with more hurdles to jump over to exercise their Second Amendment Rights....

HOLLiS
10-12-2009, 18:53
Soon the only safe places in California will be the prisons.

BigJimCalhoun
10-13-2009, 06:13
// From the Days of our Trailers blog
http://daysofourtrailers.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default

According to Cheaper Than Dirt, the ban on mail order goes well beyond ammo:
(2) For purposes of this subdivision, "ammunition" shall include, but not be limited to, any bullet, cartridge, magazine, clip, speed loader, autoloader, or... projectile capable of being fired from a firearm with a deadly consequence. "
So pretty much any "Gun Paraphernalia" associated in any way with ammunition you won't be able to get except through whatever is locally available.

But there's no slippery-slope in the world of gun control. No, none at all. "Reasonable, Common-Sense" gun control at work.

SF_BHT
10-13-2009, 06:19
Just another reason I would never live in CA.

The Reaper
10-13-2009, 07:42
Its like they used to say about the characters in the horror movies.

"Why don't they just get out?!?!?"

I wonder if those who passed that legislation realize how much revenue is earned by the taxes on ammo?

TR

greenberetTFS
10-14-2009, 15:59

If the town is that small they should cut off buying from this guy and wait until walmart gets stocked again........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin