PDA

View Full Version : Common Sense - High Demand, Short Supply

Richard
09-05-2009, 14:11
Looks as if the TSA let a few potential airport screeners get away and they were hired by the Bank of America. :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

US Bank Seeks Thumbprint Of Armless Man
AP, 4 Sep 2009

A man who sought to cash his wife's check at her bank ran into an unusual problem: the teller wanted his thumbprint. Problem was, the man had no arms.

Steve Valdez, a resident of Tampa, Florida, went into a Bank of America branch in his home town to cash the check on his wife's request, local media reported Thursday.

The teller told him that a person without an account at the bank has to give a thumbprint to cash a check.

Valdez, 54, uses prosthetic arms since he was born armless.

"She said, 'Obviously you aren't going to be able to give us a thumbprint,'" Valdez told the St. Petersburg Times newspaper, which serves the Tampa Bay area of Florida.

Valdez showed the bank teller two picture identification cards, but the teller was not swayed.

She consulted the manager, who said that in order to cash the check Valdez could open his own account, or bring his wife. Valdez did neither and left.

Bank of America apologized.

"We should have offered alternative requirements if an individual is not able to give a thumbprint," the bank said in a statement.

Valdez said he was told the manager was following bank policy.

"That's just shocking to me. This can't have been the first time this has ever come up," Valdez told the newspaper.

stickey
09-05-2009, 14:28
Though he had no arms/thumbs, the thumbprint requirement makes sense. He could have just as easily deposited it versus cashing it for her, then gone to the ATM and withdrawn it with her ATM/Debit card. But, most people that immediately cash their checks come from a certain demographic. One of which BoA took a lot of flack over a few years ago.

The Reaper
09-05-2009, 15:32
Though he had no arms/thumbs, the thumbprint requirement makes sense. He could have just as easily deposited it versus cashing it for her, then gone to the ATM and withdrawn it with her ATM/Debit card. But, most people that immediately cash their checks come from a certain demographic. One of which BoA took a lot of flack over a few years ago.

Maybe that isn't quite as easy for him as you make it sound.:rolleyes:

TR

stickey
09-05-2009, 15:39
TR, true, but i was assuming he had his prosthetic(s) with him. Or simply ask a bank associate to do it, slide the card in, punch the numbers and done. Then again, his bank seems like a bunch of hard-@$$es.

afchic
09-05-2009, 15:47

I guess I will stop asking my husband to run to the bank for me and cash a check.

What exactly are you implying about people that immediately cash checks, and "gasp" expect the get cash for them? There are quite a few folks out there that do not use debit cards for one reason or another. I actually know quite a few well to do folks that fit into that category.

I can understand if the bank would have said he couldn't cash her check, if he wasn't on the account. HOw getting his thumbprint was going to do anything, right then and there, is beyond me. What, does BoA now have the capability to put someone's thumbprint through a database to ensure he is who he says he is? I certainly hope not.

afchic
09-05-2009, 15:50
TR, true, but i was assuming he had his prosthetic(s) with him. Or simply ask a bank associate to do it, slide the card in, punch the numbers and done. Then again, his bank seems like a bunch of hard-@$$es.

Would you give your Debit Card code to someone you don't know?

echoes
09-05-2009, 15:51
Looks as if the TSA let a few potential airport screeners get away and they were hired by the Bank of America. :rolleyes:

Richard's $.02

Richard Sir, Oh No! Trust me!!! They are still there in plethora!:p

And So It Goes........:-)

Holly

stickey
09-05-2009, 16:01
I guess I will stop asking my husband to run to the bank for me and cash a check.

As long as he has thumbs, he should be good to go at BoA. :)

What exactly are you implying about people that immediately cash checks, and "gasp" expect the get cash for them?

Nothing implied, pretty much fact, that many of the illegal migrant workers need their checks cashed, never deposited. They avoid having to show legitimate ID, or better said, avoid leaving anything documented that could come back to haunt them as an illegal. Having to set up a bank account requires certain proof of existence. Illegals may carry proof of existence, but it is either foreign or fraudulent.

FWIW, my father doesn't use ATM/Debit either. But he also doesnt cash out his checks. He deposits them, and withdraws what he needs. My mother on the hand...she burns through ATM/Debit cards like a CA wildfire.

What, does BoA now have the capability to put someone's thumbprint through a database to ensure he is who he says he is? I certainly hope not.

I can't think of reason why not, then again I am legal and law abiding citizen. I know a lot places that do this though, not that they are tied to a mega-database or anything, but when you register for example at my gym, you show proof of who you are (drivers lic, id card, etc...) when you sign up, they take your pic, then that is linked to your fingerprint so you dont have to bring in your wallet or whatever. You come in, scan your finger and keep moving.

stickey
09-05-2009, 16:03
Would you give your Debit Card code to someone you don't know?

To a bank associate, sure. Even a stranger cant do much with your PIN unless they have your card. And if they were to walk off with your card at a bank, then it is very unlikely they will get away with it.

afchic
09-05-2009, 16:29
Stickey, I appreciate you thoughts. You are must more trusting than I am. Unfortunately I can think a few scenarios where access to my pin may be of benefit to an unscrupulous bank teller

stickey
09-05-2009, 16:51
Stickey, I appreciate you thoughts. You are must more trusting than I am. Unfortunately I can think a few scenarios where access to my pin may be of benefit to an unscrupulous bank teller

Afchic, it would depend on the situation. If it was a bank that i frequented and knew the people there and there was a professional relationship there, then yes, but since my primary bank that i use does not have a physical building nearby, i would not ask a complete stranger for the help.

Razor
09-06-2009, 20:24
What, does BoA now have the capability to put someone's thumbprint through a database to ensure he is who he says he is? I certainly hope not.

As someone working on biometric identification, I would have to say you'd very likely be both surprised, and perhaps a bit shocked.