PDA

View Full Version : Fish?

brewmonkey
07-13-2004, 16:59
I am a fish fan and we try to eat it at least once a week. I have some salmon filets that I will be making for dinner on Thursday. After looking through my archives and online I have not seen anything that is really interesting. I am looking for something lighter and with some zing to it. I was hoping maybe one of our SOTB brothers might have something in their kit bag for this one.

Roguish Lawyer
07-13-2004, 17:04
Haven't tried it, but this seems to be what you're looking for.

http://fern.forest.net/FMPro?-db=recipedatabase&-lay=form%20view&recipenumber=1644&-format=walkerdesign/record_detail2.htm&-find

Ranchero Grilled Salmon Steak with Roasted Corn-Black Bean Salsa

Servings: 4
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories: 688
mg. Cholesterol: 98
g. fiber: 8 mg. Sodium: 667

Ingredients:
4 (6-oz) fresh California King Salmon steaks
- Citrus Marinade
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 serrano chile, seeded and minced
2 tsp grated lime zest
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- Roasted Corn-Black Bean Salsa
2 diced Roma tomatoes
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed
1/3 cups minced green onions
1/3 cup cilantro
2 seeded minced serrano chiles
1/2 tsp each slat and chile powder
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Instructions:
Rinse salmon steaks and pat dry. In small bowl, whisk together orange juice, lme juice, oil, garlic, shile, lime zest, salt and pepper. Remove 1/3 cup marinade and reserve to add to Roasted corn Salsa. POur remainder of marindae over salmon in plastic bag; marinate in refrigerator while making salsa. Place salmon on oiled grill 4 inches from medium-hot coals. Grill about 5 mintues on each side, brushing with marinade from time to time. (Discard leftover marinade.) Salmon is done when meat flakes easily and is evenly colored. Serve tieh Roasted Corn-Black Bean Salsa. Roasted Corn-Black Bean Salsa: Roast 3 to 4 ears fresh corn on the cob (husks removed) on the barbecue until cooked and golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Cool. Slice kernels off cob and place in medium bowl. Mix Roma tomatoes; 1/3 cup minced green onions; 1/3 cup minced cilantro; 2 seeded and minced serrano chiles; 1/2 tsp each salt and chili powder; 1/4 tsp ground black pepper and 1/3 cup reserved citrus marinade. Stir gently.

brewmonkey
07-13-2004, 17:59
Damn, that is what I was looking for. Most of my collection is lighter cooking but they do not go for the zestier side at times. I will give this a whirl and report back.

Bravo1-3
07-15-2004, 00:35
Good Salmon doesn't need a whole lot of outside ingredients.

I've been using those Renolds Grill Bags to do fish on my grill. These things are so much better than plain tin foil because they seal completely. They're great for chicken too if you're not doing hte standard BBQ Sauce thing.

All you really need is the Salmon, some butter, fresh sliced lemon, and maybe some basil or season salt.

Lay the fish on top of the butter, then lay the lemon slices on top.

Grill it over a slow flame for about 4-6 minutes per side.

Check it after you've done both sides to see if it is done "enough" for your tastes, reseal the bag and drop it on for a minute or two per side at a time.

brewmonkey
07-17-2004, 19:53
Made the Ranchero Salmon this evening and it was very good. The only things I will change for the next time is ditch the cilantro and add a jalapeno or 2.

Team Sergeant
07-17-2004, 20:03
I had a grilled salmon w/Avocado-Mango Salsa recipe that's out of this world. I'll dig it out ASAP and post it here.

While I agree with B/1/3 I also feel that sometimes one should just Kick it up a notch! BAMM!!!

TS

Sacamuelas
07-17-2004, 20:07
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
sometimes one should just Kick it up a notch! BAMM!!!
TS
Speaking of BAMM!!! I had a VERY simple but delicious fish dinner tonight.
Here is what I did:

Fresh speckled trout filets brushed with melted butter
Sprinkled on some homeade "essence" spice from Emerils
Very light salt sprinkle

Broil on top rack for 7-9 minutes....

Voila!:cool: Going for reds tonight so I can grill some filets tomorrow afternoon. Either that or make a crabmeat stuffing and bake the redfish filets. HHHmmmmm.... getting hungry already.

AngelsSix
07-18-2004, 22:24
Swordfish anyone?? I love it!! You can just throw it under the broiler or on the grill with soe real basic spice and it doesn't even taste like fish. It's like eating steak.......side of Asparagus and some red potatoes.......need to go shopping tonight!!

ghuinness
07-19-2004, 20:41
Don't know if this meets the "light" criteria, depends on how much you use. I add the following cajun dry rub on just about anything; tastes great on fish:

2 TBSP Sugar;
2 TBSP Brown Sugar;
2 TBSP Salt ( I use a lot less);
2 TBSP Cumin;
1 TBSP Black Pepper;
1 TBSP Ground Ancho Chile Peppers;
1 TBSP Ground Pascilla Negro Chile Peppers;
1 - 3 tsp Cayenne Pepper;
4 TBSP Paprika.

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 12:08
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Fresh speckled trout filets

Every time I take my kids to the store, they see whole trout in the seafood section and want one. I usually get one or two for them, then let them play with them out in the yard. When I get one, I usually cut it in half and let one take the head and the other the tail.

Hysterical watching them throw the fish/fish parts around!

We then feed the trout to some feral cats near a park where they play. LOL

Sacamuelas
07-20-2004, 13:15
ROTFLMAO

You don't happen to work for that supplier to Kentucky fried chicken that has been on the news today do you? :p

NDD as the people's representative for PETA will be issuing a fatwa on you later today b/c of your post I'm sure. LOL

Back to thread....

Bravo1-3
07-21-2004, 01:44
My wife brought home 2 whole octopusususus (about 2 lbs each) for the sole purpose of letting the kids play with them. They were totally disgusted with them after a few minutes, and decided to put them away. She took that to mean that they trew them in the trash.

Nope

2-3 days later I was "drawn" to the closet in their room. Alex (who was 3 at the time) had put them into the pockets of his older brothers coat. :p

"Alexander! Why did you do this?"
"Josh told me to put them away, I wanted to put them where he could find them, dad." :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-21-2004, 09:22
Great story, B13.

echoes
04-13-2007, 14:49
Greetings...another old thread, but good, and healthy! Enjoy!

http://food.cookinglight.com/cooking/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=630087

Apple and Horseradish-Glazed Salmon

Mild apple jelly and hot horseradish pair well with rich salmon.
1/3 cup apple jelly
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick), skinned
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil

Preheat oven to 350°.

Combine apple jelly, chives, horseradish, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring well with a whisk.

Sprinkle salmon with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.

Add salmon, and cook 3 minutes. Turn salmon over; brush with half of apple mixture.

Wrap handle of skillet with foil; bake at 350° for 5 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Brush with remaining apple mixture.

adal
04-13-2007, 15:15
Just an addition to these great recipes. Try cooking them over a charcoal grill on cedar planks. No need to buy the expensive ones premade. Just go to a hardware store and buy a big plank, 3/4" thick and cut to size needed.

I usually soak mine for most of the day I'm going to cook. Light oil on top and then place my salmon / trout on top and place on the grill over medium heat with the lid shut. The bottom of the plank will start to smoke adding a little flavor to the fish.

You can reuse the board once or twice as long as you clean it off and it hasn't charred too much.

echoes
04-13-2007, 16:07
Just an addition to these great recipes. Try cooking them over a charcoal grill on cedar planks. No need to buy the expensive ones premade. Just go to a hardware store and buy a big plank, 3/4" thick and cut to size needed.

I usually soak mine for most of the day I'm going to cook. Light oil on top and then place my salmon / trout on top and place on the grill over medium heat with the lid shut. The bottom of the plank will start to smoke adding a little flavor to the fish.

You can reuse the board once or twice as long as you clean it off and it hasn't charred too much.

Sir,

That sounds fantastic! :)

Holly

brewmonkey
04-25-2007, 23:29

I was just at a place called Johnny Carino's and they have several fish that they serve on the planks like that. Smelled and looked great so I will have to give your version a try. I just bought a nice big salmon fillet for the company we are having this weekend,