PDA

View Full Version : Ngsf

bigtick
07-13-2004, 12:33
This is my first post to your site. I am grateful for such a resource. I am in my late 20s, soon to be married, and I have no prior military experience. I am hoping to remedy that in the future.

I appreciate any information you can provide. I have searched for answers to these questions from various sources, but have been unsuccessful.

It is my understanding that there are two ways to get a shot at NGSF.

1. Join as an 11B. Go to OSUT and return to the Training Batt. After a period of 3 - 6 months, if you are up to snuff, you will get a shot at SFAS. You will then be scheduled to enter the Pipeline if successful at SFAS. If unsuccessful you will be placed with an infantry unit within your state.

2. Join as a rep63 and follow the 18x route.

From the information I have been able to gather I believe that option 1 fits my situation the best.

Is it likely that a squared away soldier would get a shot at SFAS within the year after returning from OSUT, or should he prepare for a deployment or two before SFAS?

I read on another thread about Non-quals being deployed. I am still confused on this. I know deployment is a possibility, but my ultimate goal is to get the tab and then deploy. Can an 11B be deployed while in the Training Batt?

Thank you again for your help.

Kyobanim
07-13-2004, 12:42
Welcome Bigtick

About non-qual deployments, di you see this one? http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1993

As I'm sure you know, someone will be along shortly to address the other questions.

Good luck on your journey

bigtick
07-13-2004, 12:53
Thank you Kyobanim.

I did see the other thread, but I was still not clear on whether or not I would be deployable while in the Training Batt.

Hognose (RIP)
07-16-2004, 19:57
Different units dealt with NQPs in different ways.

When 1.20 mobilised, the NQPs in the battalion mobilised on OEF orders and went to Bragg and into the pipeline. TThe BC had a policy (which may have been the Group COs) that no NQP would go forward. (Of course there are some non-tabbed people in a battalion: riggers, MI guys, etc., but they are qualified for their jobs, yes?)

In that battalion, one company kept a rear detachment running, feeding the pipeline. Two did not. Guess who's in better shape numbers-wise?

But overall, sending the NQP to training on orders made the most sense, and it worked well. A couple guys finished right at the end of the deployment., Our BC cut a deal so that they could deploy with the relieving battalion. (Naturally, one of them gets shot up, but he's OK now).

The problem that arose was with the guys who were out of training either owing to injuries or quitting... Bragg is a busy place and they were not wanted around there, and we had to make busywork for them at the units, because they were stuck on active duty till the unit demobs.

You are much better off doing SFQC first and then deploying, IMHO.

-nose