PDA

View Full Version : Ruger mk III question

JoeyB
08-25-2009, 14:07
Shooting this gun today, its about 6 months old, stock MK III, I keep getting failure to feed jams. It looks like the bolt is coming forward before the fired casing can fully eject. The next round is feeding fine the bolt is just catching up on the spent round. About half the time the spent casing will end up behind the new round and gas tube.
any ideas? recommendations?

Pete
08-25-2009, 14:16
Type of ammo?

Snaquebite
08-25-2009, 14:24
First thing I'd do is tear down the magazine; lightly lubricate the inside, spring follower with Breakfree, then wipe dry. If cleaning and lubing the magazine doesn't do the trick, then I'd use a buffing wheel on a Dremel tool (without any compound) and polish the feed ramp.

What ammo were you using?
Were all the problems with the same magazine?

Check this link...It's about the MK II but may help.

http://xavierthoughts.blogspot.com/2008/10/mkii-magazine-tweak.html

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-25-2009, 14:39
Ditto to the above, but I've found that some .22 ammo just will not work well in different guns. You may need to find the ones that work well in your gun.
Any .22 round that don't do play well in any of my semi autos does fine in my bolt guns. so none is wasted.

The Reaper
08-25-2009, 16:01
Concur with the above.

Sounds like low-powered ammo.

Shoot some high velocity loads after cleaning and lubricating it. Try other mags, if that fails.

TR

JoeyB
08-25-2009, 16:07
thanks guys
i was shooting Win 36 gr. plated hp, 1280 fps. walmart ammo
i only had the one mag with me today like an idiot. it seemed to jam about mid way through so ill clean the mag and try the others

Snaquebite
08-25-2009, 16:41
If it was jamming mid magazine all the time the spring may be weakening when not in full compression.

incarcerated
08-26-2009, 00:45
We have widespread reports of failure-to-feed w/ 36 gr. bulk Federal high velocity (which we dearly love, for both its price and accuracy). High velocity ammo with bullets of less than 40 gr. weight have difficulty generating the recoil required to operate Ruger autos, both rifle and pistol. The exception to this seems to be CCI Stinger. Any promo 40 gr. ammo (Winchester Wildcat, Federal Lightning, CCI Blazer, PMC Zapper, though with prices what they are right now, nothing is really promo any more) should do just fine. If you have the 6 7/8" tapered barrel, it will shoot them all remarkably well. Even the 4" should do fine, but it can be a little more work.
I have known Mk IIs to shoot the bulk Federal 36 gr. and function most of the time if, as mentioned above, the firearm is clean and lightly lubricated. Have you shot any Lapua or Russian ammo through it during your six months with it? You aren't shooting it offhand and holding it lightly, like a bird, by any chance? What barrel length and grip angle do you have? And what did you pay for it, if you don't mind?

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-26-2009, 08:05
I didn't mention it above because I was told that different ammo will work differently. My mark II handles it well but my 10-22 and other two 22 rifles malfunction with it.( Remington semis).

JoeyB
08-26-2009, 15:52
Incarcerated
Its a 4 in barrel, the standard MKII/III grip, I dont like the composite lowers on the new ones. I paid 225 or 250 for it. No ammo other than winchester and no limp wristing :)
I really wanted a MK II but got tired of looking for a decent one at a good price. AS far as the ammo it worked fine in my 10/22

incarcerated
09-03-2009, 12:49
I paid 225 or 250 for it.

Add about $100 for the same gun here in California. Yeah, it sucks. WalMart does not sell firearms in this state; the number one chain of gun stores here just put the 5.5" Model 512 on sale for $330, regularly $365. Saw the same gun last night at a small shop for $400, where a 4" slab-sided zytel grip model was going for $330.
:(