PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos

Saturation
08-24-2009, 20:35
Just saw a preview for an upcoming show on History Channel this week titled "Marked" - basically a show about different groups that show off their tattoos and explain significance/meaning. After a search here I could not find something similar. I thought it might create an interesting discussion similar to the impact of being a Boy Scout.

So, if you're willing to share by description and/or photo what tattoos do you have?

I can start... no tats.

:D
Saturation

The Reaper
08-24-2009, 20:38
None, and I likewise fail to see the relevance of this thread.

TR

SF_BHT
08-24-2009, 20:42
Hummmmm And you compare a thread on Boy Scouts that help start our youth on the right path in life to putting Ink in your skin:eek:

Bad lead in to get people interacting on a TAT thread. Just my 2 cents....

Oh and this has what to do with Special Forces? You needed to tie it to the force in my perspective.... Like what type are acceptable, what ones have team guys had and what were you most distinct ones....

But this intro is not the way from my perspective but I am just an semi Old SF guy........

Next........:munchin

ZonieDiver
08-24-2009, 20:45
No tats on me. It was my impression, when in SF back "in the day" that they were frowned upon, so I didn't.

Saturation
08-24-2009, 21:19
Apologies for not stating my intentions clearly as noted above. I am not suggesting tattoos are good/bad- many do regret that bar room decision for Woody Woodpecker though.

My perception is that tattoos are usually chosen for an especially significant reason and recognizing Special Forces as especially significant men thought the discussion of those would be interesting to all. The reference to the Boy Scout discussion was meant as a positive because many shared their experiences/reasons/lessons.

No harm intended.

Respectully,
Saturation

armymom1228
08-24-2009, 22:40
I have tats... they have nada to do with SF or the Boy Scouts.:D

Body art, of all flavors, has a long history with humanity. If you are interested there are some fairly decent books that have the history and come great tats.. mine were all done by Lyle Tuttle. Probably why they still look so great 26 yrs later. ;)

Richard
08-25-2009, 04:46
No tats on me. It was my impression, when in SF back "in the day" that they were frowned upon, so I didn't.

Same here - few newbies got tattoos as they 'branded' you for unwanted ID purposes - but a number of the older NCOs had things like a set of jump wings on a forearm or shoulder from when they were young paratroopers in the 11th, 17th, 82nd, 101st, 187th and the like.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

swpa19
08-25-2009, 05:03
Agree with Zonie and Richard. Waaayyyy back in the day, it was "hinted" that if you were to have a new tat done, you "might" be prosecuted under Article 108 of the UCMJ. Course this was told to a very impressionable young E-5.

Guy
08-25-2009, 06:13
MADE IN THE USA

Over my heart; got it after a few trips to Africa which sucked!

Made in the USA and plan on dying there also, 100% AMERICAN right here!:lifter

Stay safe.

SF_BHT
08-25-2009, 06:29
MADE IN THE USA

Over my heart; got it after a few trips to Africa which sucked!

Made in the USA and plan on dying there also, 100% AMERICAN right here!:lifter

Stay safe.

Yeah you got that so Immigration would let you back in:p You did not want to get stuck over there like the Canadian lady did in Kenya...

jlcoad
08-25-2009, 08:11
Three reasons:

Back in training group I was told that a tat was a sure fire way to get sent to the 82nd - no offense to you 82nd guys.

I figured my biceps weren't big enough for a set of wings with "Death from Above"

Only money I had was spent on cigs, beer and starch.

Now if you asked this question because you wanted to find a cool SF tat to get to impress the girls, don't bother. If you stick SF on your body one day some SFer in a bad mood will ask you about it, find out you're a poser and rip that tat off, skin and all. That is unless you get one of those temporary tats they sell on Ebay then he would probably just stomp you into the ground.:D

Team Sergeant
08-25-2009, 09:11
I've got more scars then most have tats.;)

I like your idea Guy! Maybe I'll look into a tat.;)

mojaveman
08-25-2009, 12:35
Most of my friends in the military who had tattoos got them after a drunken night on Hay St. or Victory Dr. and later regretted it. In my opinion true professionals don't wear them. I don't have any but have fancied the idea a few times.

greenberetTFS
08-25-2009, 15:31
For any of you guys planning to get tattoes.......... :mad: I've got four "Airborne",Death before Dishonor,Hell's Angels(11th Airborne)In God we Trust,and last, Death from Above.......:o "Stupid is as stupid does"........:rolleyes: Don't get a tat,I've regretted getting them all my life..............

Big Teddy

Richard
08-25-2009, 15:45
Teddy - only four? But you're from Chicago - you couldn't help yourself! :p :D

Richard

greenberetTFS
08-25-2009, 16:37
Teddy - only four? But you're from Chicago - you couldn't help yourself!

Richard

Very funny,Richard,;) You'd never believe how I use to get screwed with about being from Chicago,especially by the cadre......:rolleyes: Not only in basic,but jump school..... :p The SFTG cadre didn't play that $hit with me,they were totally profressional.......That's the difference between SF and the regular army........

Big Teddy :munchin

Richard
08-25-2009, 16:40
The SFTG cadre didn't play that $hit with me, they were totally profressional...that's the difference between SF and the regular army...

Totally agree - being from California, I used to catch the same type of ribbing - but in SF it wasn't where you came from, it was totally focused on the fact that you were there and ready to do a job. :)

Richard

Silentxray
08-25-2009, 17:55
I have five, three of which are to do with family. One dragon and one cross, all of which are very easily hidden beneath a t-shirt and pants. If the tattoo's were to get in the way of a potential SF career I would have them removed ASAP.

Stras
08-25-2009, 18:13
Think long and hard before you have ink done. They are permanent.

Think of all the ways that the bad guys can exploit your tats in a manner to better their cause.

I've got 9, all of which can be covered with short sleeves and long pants.

Unlike the SF requirements when I went through the SFQC, tats are not required. Though I'm still searching for a Randall knife.......

you older guys missed out on the three ring circus when we all had to have our tats inspected to make sure they weren't racist in nature. oh, that was a goat screw from hell..

take that tat money and go put some chrome on your Harley instead.

doctom54
08-25-2009, 19:13
I've got more scars then most have tats.;)

A scar is just a tattoo with a better story :)

Irishsquid
08-25-2009, 19:34
I've only got 2. I'm also not tabbed.

I have a Celtic cross w/ knotwork on my left shoulder, and another tattoo on my chest I am in the process of "fading," in preparation for getting it covered up.

The one on my chest was a stupid mistake, made in a period when I seemed to be making a LOT of stupid mistakes...some of you probably remember...

Suffice to say, it could get me in trouble, and I'm spending my money now to make it go away.

armymom1228
08-26-2009, 02:04
The one on my chest was a stupid mistake, made in a period when I seemed to be making a LOT of stupid mistakes...some of you probably remember...

Suffice to say, it could get me in trouble, and I'm spending my money now to make it go away.

You do know that plastic surgeons now can laser your 'mistakes' off your body?

Guy
08-26-2009, 03:40
Yeah you got that so Immigration would let you back in:p You did not want to get stuck over there like the Canadian lady did in Kenya...I/we even had both ears pierced ONCE! Damn SMADGE lost his mind...the extra duty sucked so, the holes closed up.

If an E9 were to ever scream/call and/or have a soldier(s) do what he made us endure...he'd be brought up on charges in todays era!:D

Stay safe.

Stras
08-26-2009, 04:49
I/we even had both ears pierced ONCE! Damn SMADGE lost his mind...the extra duty sucked so, the holes closed up.

If an E9 were to ever scream/call and/or have a soldier(s) do what he made us endure...he'd be brought up on charges in todays era!:D

Stay safe.

We had a guy in formation with a tongue ring....... it was a good day to not be that guy. He spent most of the day digging a fighting position out back. ;) Company SGM took real good care of him....:eek:

SF_BHT
08-26-2009, 06:26
I/we even had both ears pierced ONCE! Damn SMADGE lost his mind...the extra duty sucked so, the holes closed up.

Stay safe.

Yeah and You Miss the Good Old Days.

Fiercely Loyal
08-26-2009, 06:40
Well I'm not a QP by any means. Just a guard baby but my two cents if I can offer them.

I have them all in areas that can be covered up in uniform. My wife is a tattoo artist and has been trying to encourage me for more. I really dont like the new policy on neck and hand tattoos being ok in the Army. If you can cover them up and present a professional appearance I say get all you want.

I have most of my chest, right arm, left leg, and right leg already covered.

Just my two pennies from a young fella.

Pete S
08-26-2009, 08:08
None
And that's coming from a unit that would give you a 96 if you got the company crest tattooed somewhere on your person.

I don't need to have a picture, or words, on my body to tell people what's important to me.
If it's important enough to permanently mark yourself, it is probably important enough to remember without the visual reference.

I have nothing against people who do choose to have any tats.
Except for those lower back tattoos. :cool:

swpa19
08-26-2009, 09:46
take that tat money and go put some chrome on your Harley instead.

THAT is an exceptional idea. You can put that tat on your Harley too. I make a living doing just that.

Yeah and You Miss the Good Old Days.

How true. Ask Teddy just how different it was back in the "Days of the Dinosaurs". Politically correct wasnt even in the vocabulary then.

greenberetTFS
08-26-2009, 11:26
THAT is an exceptional idea. You can put that tat on your Harley too. I make a living doing just that.

How true. Ask Teddy just how different it was back in the "Days of the Dinosaurs". Politically correct wasnt even in the vocabulary then.

"Days of the Dinosaurs", swap19,I love it...............:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Irishsquid
08-26-2009, 11:36
You do know that plastic surgeons now can laser your 'mistakes' off your body?

Yeah, they can, but they charge a TON of money to do it. If I can spend $40.00 fading it, then $200.00 covering it up with a better tattoo, I save close on 1k. That said, I like tattoos...just gotta keep 'em where they can't be seen in uniform.

SF_BHT
08-26-2009, 11:39
Yeah, they can, but they charge a TON of money to do it. If I can spend $40.00 fading it, then $200.00 covering it up with a better tattoo, I save close on 1k. That said, I like tattoos...just gotta keep 'em where they can't be seen in uniform.

Go down to Home Depot and get a good sander...$35....sand paper $4 and a little quality time at home....and it is done. Dinosaur way.... Teddy has time on his hands and might help since he is from back there....:p

Irishsquid
08-26-2009, 11:46
Heh...I actually tried using a pumice stone to get rid of it...turned out to be a bad plan...lots of blood, and the tat didn't even fade.

Monsoon65
08-26-2009, 17:14
I always give this piece of advice from Brian Setzer to any kid in my unit that talks about getting one: Never get a tattoo where a judge can see it.

I don't have any and not planning on getting one. I'd get one, then five minutes later want to change it.

See a horror movie called "Dog Soldiers" for a great story about a British troop getting a tattoo just before shipping out for the Gulf War. It will raise the hair up on the back of your neck.

mojaveman
08-26-2009, 18:39
Go down to Home Depot and get a good sander...$35....sand paper $4 and a little quality time at home....and it is done. Dinosaur way.... Teddy has time on his hands and might help since he is from back there....:p

Don't forget the Hydrogen Peroxide and the cotton balls! Aaaaaaaa!

Mike
08-26-2009, 18:52
In the early part of phase 1 in 1967 the cold war was still blaziing.

In one class there was a discussion on tats and the possibility of going UW in E Europe or somewheres.

A US paratrooper, SF, or something like that would not be good if you were detained. It would instantly blow your cover might end up on some comrade's lampshade.

A lot of the old guys then had Korea and WW2 related tats.

It was really unusual for a SF baby of my generation to get tatooed.