PDA

View Full Version : Obama Spokesman Announces Interrogation Unit

Richard
08-24-2009, 09:52
Wow! This one was unexpected - also a move fraught with political dangers for BHO and any follow-on POTUS as it will tie any such future actions directly to the White House. :confused:

And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Obama Spokesman Announces Interrogation Unit
Steven Hurst and Devlin Barrett, AP, 24 Aug 2009

President Barack Obama has approved creation of a new, special terrorism-era interrogation unit to be supervised by the White House, a top aide said Monday, further distancing his administration from President George W. Bush's detainee policies.

The new unit does not mean the CIA is now out of the interrogation business, deputy White House press secretary Bill Burton told reporters covering the vacationing Obama at Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, Mass.

Burton said the unit will include "all these different elements under one group," and it said that it will be situated at the FBI headquarters in Washington. The unit would be led by an FBI official, with a deputy director from somewhere in the government's vast intelligence apparatus, and members from across agencies. It will be directly supervised by the White House.

Separately, Burton said that a recommendation now before Attorney General Eric Holder to reopen and pursue prisoner abuse cases is a decision solely for Holder to make without any intervention from the president.

The structure of the new unit the White House is creating would depart significantly from such work under the previous administration, when the CIA had the lead and sometimes exclusive role in questioning al-Qaida suspects.

Obama campaigned vigorously against Bush's interrogation policies in his successful run for the presidency. He has said more recently he didn't particularly favor prosecuting Bush administration officials in connection with instances of prisoner abuse. Obama still believes "we should be looking forward, not backward," Burton said Monday.

Nonetheless, the spokesman added, Obama believes the attorney general should be fully independent from the White House and he has full faith in Holder to make the decision on whether to reopen several such cases with an eye toward possible criminal prosecution. "He ultimately is going to make the decisions," Burton said of Holder.

CIA Director Leon Panetta said in an e-mail message to agency employees Monday that he intends "to stand up for those officers who did what their country asked and who followed the legal guidance they were given. That is the president's position, too," he said.

Panetta said some CIA officers have been disciplined within the agency for going beyond the methods approved for interrogations by the Bush-era Justice Department. Just one CIA employee_ contractor David Passaro_ has ever been prosecuted for detainee abuse.

A U.S. intelligence official said earlier that the CIA welcomed the new interrogation unit, saying the agency does not want to be in the long-term detention business. The official spoke on grounds of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss it publicly.

Obama campaigned vigorously against President George W. Bush's interrogation policies in his successful run for the presidency. He has said more recently he didn't particularly favor prosecuting Bush administration officials in connection with instances of prisoner abuse. But the issue now before Holder for consideration would have the new administration do precisely that: reopen several such cases with an eye toward possible criminal prosecution.

A government official confirmed to The AP the recommendation of Justice's ethics office on grounds of anonymity, citing the internal legal deliberations and indicating they remain ongoing.

Obama created task forces to study U.S. policy and practices on handling terrorism captives shortly after taking office. Obama has vowed to close the Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, military prison by next year, hoping to free those prisoners against whom there is no case, to transfer others to the custody of other countries and to put still others on trial, ending their condition of limbo in the U.S. brig.

The new interrogation unit will be known by the acronym HIG, and more information was to be made public later Monday.

The new group and new directives to rely solely on the Army Field Manual when interrogating prisoners is an attempt by the administration to separate itself from allegations that the previous administration tortured some prisoners. While the practice of waterboarding — simulated drowning — already has been banned, the directive to stick only to procedures in the field manual means other harsh tactics, such as subjecting prisoners to loud music for long periods and sleep deprivation, are also now a thing of the past.

The administration was publicly confirming the new interrogation unit on the same day that the CIA inspector general was to unveil a report on Bush administration handling of suspects. Details were expected to show that highly questionable tactics were used.

Subjecting prisoner abuse cases to a new review and possible prosecution could expose CIA employees and agency contractors to criminal prosecution for the alleged mistreatment of terror suspects in the years after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Holder reportedly reacted with disgust when he first read accounts of prisoner abuse earlier this year in a classified version of the IG report. And the Justice report is said to reveal how interrogators conducted mock executions and threatened at least one man with a gun and a power drill. Threatening a prisoner with death violates U.S. anti-torture laws.

A federal judge has ordered the IG report made public Monday, in response to a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

A CIA spokesman, Paul Gimigliano, told the Times that the recommendation to reopen the cases had not been sent to the agency.

The accounts of the White House-supervised interrogation unit and the ethics recommendation to Holder were first reported, respectively, by The Washington Post and The New York Times.

Sten
08-24-2009, 11:04
I wonder if this new unit is going to have brown shirts or black and silver uniforms...

jw74
08-24-2009, 11:10
I wonder if this new unit is going to have brown shirts or black and silver uniforms...

More likely, they will have ivy league diplomas and ACLU memberships. Detainees just breathed a sigh of relief.

Mobelizer
08-24-2009, 14:05
More likely, they will have ivy league diplomas and ACLU memberships. Detainees just breathed a sigh of relief.

I'll bet a shrink will be on stand-by too for after the interrogation.

Pete
08-24-2009, 14:23
My first thought when I saw Richard's post?

"Ha, Richard got caught and posted a satire article thinking it was real!"

Then as I read it I realized it was true.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D9A9BLTG0&show_article=1

This will not bother the left one bit.

I don't think this is going to help FBI CIA relations - or information flow, sharing, etc, etc, ect.

JJ_BPK
08-24-2009, 14:33
Guys, this is scary,,

Why is a liberal pacifist want the interrogation unit directly reporting to his office??

Let me see,, how does that org chart go??

armymom1228
08-24-2009, 15:10
I saw that headline on the Post front page when I was at the market this morning. It made me want to throw up a little in my mouth.. good lord..

What next... ?:munchin

ZonieDiver
08-24-2009, 15:16
The new interrogation unit will be known by the acronym HIG

Why not just call it "The Unit"!? ;)

Smokin Joe
08-25-2009, 22:03
Wow headed by the FBI!!! There's a real shocker, that will almost guarantee that no "laws" are ever even given a dirty look let alone broken while attempting to extract information out of a detainee. Since when does Miranda extend outside of our border? Well I guess today it does.

I got 20 bucks that says this new unit does exactly jack and shit simultaneously while spending almost a billion dollars doing it.

Any takers?

SF_BHT
08-26-2009, 06:47
Yesterday I had a long talk with my Counterparts from the FBI that arrived Monday from DC.

They are not happy with this new aberration of the Great O.......

I will bet they will do as little as they can in this new unit and just keep every one happy. As a good little gov worker as long as you do not do more than the minimal you do not have to produce and you just move along in the big machine.

Richard
08-27-2009, 16:54
And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Post-CIA, Who Will Ask The Questions, And How?
Kevin Whitelaw, NPR, 27 Aug 2009

The CIA has lost its prime role in conducting interrogations of terrorism suspects, but exactly how the U.S. government will handle key al-Qaida prisoners in the future remains unclear.

The Obama administration said this week that it will create a new office managed by the FBI and overseen by the White House to run interrogations, but officials have yet to work out exactly who the interrogators will be or where the sessions would take place.

Wherever those interrogations end up taking place, they will be conducted according to the rules laid out in the U.S. Army Field Manual, which bans some of the harshest techniques used in the CIA program, such as controlled drowning, known as waterboarding.

Some critics of the Obama administration, including former Vice President Dick Cheney, said the harsh techniques were necessary to extract intelligence from hardened terrorists, but many experts on interrogations say there are other, more effective methods that don't constitute torture.

The Army Field Manual does allow for some more severe techniques, such as sleep deprivation, to be used in certain circumstances. But while the CIA allowed detainees to be kept awake for 180 hours straight, the Army Field Manual says that prisoners must be allowed to sleep for at least four hours every day.

A former senior U.S. counterterrorism official says that most of the time interrogations of the kind conducted by the FBI, which do not employ severely coercive techniques, "will still yield the needed, and arguably better, intelligence."

But, the official added, "there is a small — thankfully— subset of individuals who are sociopaths, and no amount of verbal interrogation will be totally effective. These people exist and are encountered by law enforcement daily. They never confess, can lie to your face and then pass a polygraph. All that can be done is collect the evidence and convict and jail them."

One controversial practice that will continue under the Obama administration is rendition, where terrorism suspects are captured overseas by U.S. personnel and handed over to foreign custody for interrogation. In those cases, U.S. officials say they must receive assurances that the suspects will not be tortured, although foreign interrogators often have more leeway to use harsher interrogation techniques.

Obama administration officials also say that they will boost the government's capability to monitor the treatment of suspects delivered to third countries to prevent abuse or torture. "The U.S. government should not and will not transfer any individual where there is a likelihood they will be tortured," says a senior official in the administration.

Still, going forward, U.S. intelligence officials might more frequently decide to deliver high-value suspects to foreign countries to allow tougher questioning. Another advantage of rendition is that U.S. officials would not have to figure out how to bring these suspects to trial when the questioning is over.

"You're going to dump a lot more problems on foreign liaison partners, because it's just too hard to hack your way through the American bureaucracy to do it," worries a former senior intelligence official. "If a liaison partner has him, you'll be much less enthusiastic about getting unilateral access."

But other officials say that they would always prefer to have these suspects in U.S. custody, where experienced FBI and military officers in Obama's new High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group can evaluate their answers firsthand.

The CIA also will remain deeply involved, offering linguists, subject matter experts and others to assist interrogators. While the FBI will run the office, the No. 2 official will come from the intelligence community.

The National Security Council at the White House will have an oversight role, but it will be not be involved in decisions regarding individual detainees.

"The White House is not going to be involved in any of the operational decisions," says a senior U.S. official.

The number of high-value al-Qaida suspects taken into U.S. custody has dropped dramatically in the past three years. Between 2002, when the program started, and 2006, when it was suspended, the CIA held a total of 98 detainees. But only two suspects are known to have been held by the CIA after it resumed interrogations in mid-2007.

There is a chance that future U.S. interrogations could incorporate new techniques in the future.

The High-Value Detainee Interrogation Group will be studying a range of methods to determine whether there are effective techniques that are missing from the Army Field Manual and should be incorporated into the questioning of suspected terrorists.

Over time, a senior U.S. official said, the aim is to build an experienced cadre of professional interrogators and to "develop best practices" for interrogations based on scientific studies.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112272462

Tatonka316
08-27-2009, 17:13
... Rather than calling it "the Unit" - it should be called the "TINU" because they and POTUS have this whole thing back-asswards!!!

I don't even want to think about "what's next!?!?!"

molon labe:lifter

kgoerz
08-27-2009, 17:33
Wow headed by the FBI!!! There's a real shocker, that will almost guarantee that no "laws" are ever even given a dirty look let alone broken while attempting to extract information out of a detainee. Since when does Miranda extend outside of our border? Well I guess today it does.

I got 20 bucks that says this new unit does exactly jack and shit simultaneously while spending almost a billion dollars doing it.

Any takers?

Only a Billion, your way too nice. There were two individuals rolled up for pulling active surveillance on a very large structure. Their names were turned over to said agency. Said agency said they were Engineers so probably didn't pose a threat. They were more then likely just interested in the buildings structural design. They were dropped from the watch list. We all know engineers would never want to blow anything up right. I can tell you these guys were not impressed with how the structure was built. But on how it could be destroyed.

lindy
08-27-2009, 17:35
IMO, the problem is the current administration doesn't view terrorism as a form of unconventional WARFARE but rather as a crime. I think they have lost their way. It would seem that the next time a US flagged vessel gets overtaken by pirates, they would call out the SpecWar guys but rather the "Unit" will take the lead.

The powers of the FBI are derived from congressional statutes. Title 28, United States Code, Section 533, authorizes the Attorney General to appoint officials to detect and prosecute crimes against the United States. Title 18, United States Code, Section 3052, specifically authorizes Special Agents and officials of the FBI to make arrests, carry firearms, and serve warrants. Title 18, United States Code, Section 3107, empowers Special Agents and officials to make seizures under warrant for violation of federal statutes. The FBI's authority to investigate specific criminal violations is conferred by numerous other congressional statutes. In addition, Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Section 0.85, outlines the investigative and other responsibilities of the FBI, including the collection of fingerprint cards and identification records; the training of state and local law enforcement officials at the FBI National Academy; and the operation of the National Crime Information Center and the FBI Laboratory.

I don't see anything in the FBI's "charter" regarding Title 10 USC which basically states that DOD is tasked with killing people and breaking their stuff.