PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces Medical (Vision)

Marine0311
08-19-2009, 14:44
Gentlemen,

I have a question concerning the color vision standards for Army Special Forces. I have read the medical requirements in the AR 40-501, but am still unsure about something. It says that you must be able to pass a vivid red green test. Is this the same test as the Farnsworth Lantern Test, or what exactly does the "vivid red green test" entail? Is it something as simple as the Doc holding up a red stick and a green stick and you simply tell him which one is which? Any help is greatly appreciated.

The Reaper
08-19-2009, 17:55
Have you read the other 28 threads pertaining to color vision yet?

TR

Marine0311
08-19-2009, 18:19
TR,

I did read most of the threads on color vision but could not find the answer to the specific question. I am sorry if I overlooked it, as I said, I did look, I just could not find the precise answer.

The reason I am asking this question is because I am seriously considering leaving the Corps to go to Army Special Forces. I am up for reenlistment in the coming months, so before I decide to leave the USMC, I want to be sure I am qualified to do what I would like to do in the Army.

The Reaper
08-19-2009, 18:30
I think AR 40-501 is pretty explicit.

"(3) Failure to pass the PIP or FALANT test for color vision unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT."

Did you look up the procedures and test info for the PIP, FALANT, Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT?

I presume you are asking about this because you have failed a color vision test before.

TR

Marine0311
08-20-2009, 02:57
TR,

Yes, I have failed the PIP and FALANT before, but I have not taken the Ophthalmological Projector or the SVT and was wondering what exactly those were. If you were to hold up a green stick and a red stick I could tell you the difference between the two, but I cannot pass the PIP or FALANT. Just trying to determine whether or not I would be qualified.

Richard
08-20-2009, 04:45
Know any Corpsmen who could get you vivid red and vivid green tested now so you'd know? :confused:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

theRookie
09-09-2009, 16:02
I realize this does not pertain directly to the focus of this thread, but I hope that it is similar enough, that someone here may be willing to offer me some advice.

So I went to MEPS today and scored 20/20 on my R eye, and 20/80 - correctable to 20/25 on my L eye.

I read the med standards, and it looks like SF requires correctable to 20/20 for both eyes...I told my recruiter about this, and asked him what's up.

He said that he would, "take care of it," that I wouldn't need to worry about it. This worries me...can he push me into an 18x contract, just to be denied whenever I get a physical at SOPC or SFAS or wherever I would potentially get it, if I made it that far?

Is it possible to get medically cleared for an 18x contract and then be medically DQ'ed farther on down the line?

Thanks for your time.

Dozer523
09-09-2009, 17:49
He said that he would, "take care of it," that I wouldn't need to worry about it. This worries me...
1) can he push me into an 18x contract, just to be denied whenever I get a physical at SOPC or SFAS or wherever I would potentially get it, if I made it that far?
2)Is it possible to get medically cleared for an 18x contract and then be medically DQ'ed farther on down the line?
3) Thanks for your time.
This kind of 'what-if' makes my teeth hurt. I'll give you the bottom line. If you really want to go SF do what you need to do to get it. If that means letting the recruiter "take care of it" let him. And then shut up about it. Do your best, make it hard for them to kick you out, pitch a fit, cry, show how better-then-everyone-else you are, then grab the doorframe if they try to drag you out to the curb.
1) No one should push you into anything especially if you have to be restrained from diving in to begin with. Deny you later? Who cares? Do you really think you will invest SO much you will be deminished by having tried? having done your best? The Q expects a lot of you but why? Because it gives you so much. You might be worse for wear and tear but you certainly will be better for the experience and the knowledge, and that you tried, and didn't let anything stop you from at least trying.
2) Who cares? Do you have anything better to do then go to the Q course?
3) Don't look for road blocks.

BTW if you could read 1) and 2) you might be okay. You could always memorize the damn book. Everyone uses the same one.

Richard
09-09-2009, 21:04
"I see," said the blind man. :rolleyes:

And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Whiplash
10-12-2011, 18:36
Just last week while I was at MEPS they gave the the vivid red vivid green test and i passed it. Then when I went to sit down with the counselor they told me that I needed to have "Normal" color vision. I had a copy of the regs with me just in case and even then when they read over that they still said I was not quailified for 18x. Then when I called my recruiter I told him what they had told me and had him look into it. He got back to me saying that MEPS was correct. I ultimately chose 68w for my MOS hoping that once I have completed all my training that I will be able to apply for SFAS. My question is, Is MEPS actually correct or were they feeding me BS?

HKccs
10-14-2011, 10:02
Do not speak here again...

Eagle

Surgicalcric
10-14-2011, 11:24
From my personal experince....

Your personal experience dating back 3 weeks?

You were told in another thread it was a requirement and that it has been that way for YEARS.

What about that do you fail to understand?