PDA

View Full Version : Magpul ACS stock

koz
08-18-2009, 16:07
I just got a Magpul ACS stock and for whoever is looking at the LMT SOPMOD stock, I'd seriously consider looking at this product. I haven't gotten a chance to use it yet but it leaves nothing to be desired from what I can tell. And it can be had for less than $120.

Good job to Justinmd and Magpul :lifter

Paslode
08-18-2009, 21:01
Not that I have or would use them, but the battery compartments on the SOPMOD stock appear to be a bit cumbersome. The MAGPUL looks pretty nice, easy access to batteries and about half the price of a SOPMOD.

MeC86
08-19-2009, 06:21
I have used one for about 2 years now and love it. It has a feature which tightens the stock down and leaving no wobble that you normally see in some adjustable stocks. Very good product.

koz
08-19-2009, 09:41
I have used one for about 2 years now and love it. It has a feature which tightens the stock down and leaving no wobble that you normally see in some adjustable stocks. Very good product.

I think it was just released a week or so ago.. Are you thinking the CTR stock? The ACS has the same locking system as the CTR.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27553/Product/AR_15_M16_ACS_trade__BUTTSTOCK

Justinmd
08-19-2009, 21:25
Thanks Koz, though I can't take any credit for that stock. It has been a long time coming but finally it's here. I hope it works out well for you. Let me know if you have any feedback, both positive and negative, and I'll pass it on.

Now that the industry craziness has died down a bit, maybe the 308 pmag will be out soon.
Justin

MeC86
08-20-2009, 07:03
I think it was just released a week or so ago.. Are you thinking the CTR stock? The ACS has the same locking system as the CTR.

My mistake Koz, you are correct. I was thinking of the CTR.

english kanigit
08-29-2009, 18:26
Gentlemen,

What would you suggest to keep the batteries from rattling in the storage tubes? I was thinking about shoving a small piece of foam up in to the front of the tube; just enough to keep the batteries from having room to move ought to do.

Ek

Peregrino
08-29-2009, 19:56
Thanks Koz, though I can't take any credit for that stock. It has been a long time coming but finally it's here. I hope it works out well for you. Let me know if you have any feedback, both positive and negative, and I'll pass it on.

Now that the industry craziness has died down a bit, maybe the 308 pmag will be out soon.
Justin

Justin - If you can't get the 308 PMAG out, how about some followers (or even rebuild kits w/follower, spring, and floorplate) for the DPMS/Knights magazines? While waiting for yours (in desperation) I bought 10 DPMS mags only to discover they don't work. :(:mad: BTW - The 308 PRS rocks - I'm just as excited about it as I am the AR version I've had on my SPR forgery for two years. My DPMS .308 already outshoots the M-110s I've seen. As soon as I get the magazine problem fixed, I'll post something. I've only fondled the ACS stock but might look into one for a project I'm putting together. The Grey Group guys here do a good job getting your product to the Bragg market.

kgoerz
08-30-2009, 08:42
I put this one (PRS-FAL) on my DSA FAL about a year ago. Added a little weight but so far I like it. Very tight and easy to adjust.

http://www.magpul.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=70_88

Justinmd
08-30-2009, 09:35
Sorry to hear about the DPMS mags. I use only KAC or Pmags in my testing, which are both hard to get outside of the industry.

Good suggestion on the follower upgrade kit, I'll pass it on. If you're at Bragg and know the guys on range 37, pm me.

I too, enjoy the PRS, I was shooting 110's a couple weeks ago and it definitely could be improved with a PRS. I hear the stock they used is actually not too much less in cost, not sure though. There is a definite weight penalty, but on that type of rifle it's not that big of a deal compared to the upside.
Justin

The Reaper
08-30-2009, 09:53
Justin:

How do you think the ACS stock would hold up to shotgun use, like on a Saiga?

It does require a Colt dimensioned buffer tube, correct?

TR

koz
08-30-2009, 12:34
Justin:

How do you think the ACS stock would hold up to shotgun use, like on a Saiga?

It does require a Colt dimensioned buffer tube, correct?

TR

The ACS I have is on a standard mil-spec tube. I bought it a brownells.

Team Sergeant
08-30-2009, 12:57
Gentlemen,

What would you suggest to keep the batteries from rattling in the storage tubes? I was thinking about shoving a small piece of foam up in to the front of the tube; just enough to keep the batteries from having room to move ought to do.

Ek

Put some foam ear-plugs in there....

http://www.coopersafety.com/product/e-a-r-taperfit-earplugs-1027.aspx

Justinmd
08-30-2009, 14:42
The ACS is pretty stout, I haven't checked on the testing of it though, so I'll ask. I would imagine it is going to be one of the stonger stocks out there, besides the UBR, which is what people are putting on the real kickers. I'll post again in a day or two with more info.
Justin

kgoerz
08-30-2009, 16:12
One thing I always want in a Stock. Is the ability to detach your rear sling swivel. The types with the push to release buttons. The CTR and SOPMOD Stocks I use have this feature. The standard collapsible stock on the Military M4's don't have this option. It allows you to easily un sling your Weapon in confined spaces.
I never been a fan of collapsible Stocks in general. But I yet to find a fixed stock that provides the same features as the collapsible ones out there (variety of sling attachments, storage compartments..etc) Anyone know of any?

JEVapa
09-07-2009, 21:43
Justinmd, our guys are already eval'in the ACS's and have nothing but good things to say about it. A big plus is that the battery compartment doesn't pull your beard like other stocks do. I'll keep you posted.

Justinmd
09-07-2009, 21:55
Is this Mike? If so I'm out of hats and shirts, haha.
Justin

JEVapa
09-07-2009, 22:42
We're good on hats and shirts...I told everyone that store's closed for a bit. hehe

Justinmd
09-08-2009, 22:32
TR,
Finally got some info on stock durability, well, not technical info. The stock is "very, very strong," and should work on a shotgun. This comes from a large Marine (Magpul employee) who's been abusing it systematically for the last few months.

Right now the only stocks available use the mil-spec buffer tube, I imagine this is the Colt spec.

Justin

The Reaper
09-09-2009, 07:21
Justin:

Roger, thanks!

Will have to give my dealer a call.

TR

The Reaper
09-12-2009, 13:34
Got the stock, been playing around with it comparing it to a SOPMOD stock.

The Magpul is definitely heavy duty, with better storage, easier access, tighter lockup, and more conveniences.

OTOH, I do not like the lack of a horizontal slot for a sling. Maybe the singlepoint sling attachment is retrofittable by the user?

I have heard that there is a thicker, heavier duty buttpad coming out as well. That should help in the shotgun application.

Thanks to MSTN for the quick delivery!

TR