PDA

View Full Version : Eating cheese

brewmonkey
07-10-2004, 18:59
No this is not a thread about sucking up! :D

What kind of cheese is in the fridge right now?

How about some cheese based recipes (nachos are verboten!)

I keep about 8 or 9 cheeses around, mostly hard Italian cheese as we cook a lot of Italian dishes. Something in the different cheeses that can really make a dish shine.

I will have to go through my recipe cards for some good dishes but I will start with something simple that all can do. It is yogurt cheese and works great as a spread on toast.

Basically all you need is your favorite yogurt (I use the 32oz container), I prefer vanilla but almost all will work, some cheesecloth, colander and a bowl big enough to hold the colander up a little.

I found cheese cloth in the local grocery down the baking aisle.

Take the cheese cloth and fold it over so it is doubled up, scoop the desired amount of yogurt onto it, pull up the sides and tie it off. You can cut the extra away. Place the ball in the colander and that inside the bowl. You will really only need an inch or so of clearance from the bottom of the colander to the bottom of the bowl. Cover it with a dish or some plastic wrap and set in the fridge for about 36-48 hours. The yogurts weight will drive out the remaining liquid and leave you with a thick spread that is wonderful.

Since you are removing the liquid you will be concentrating the flavors as well. So it will certainly be more alive then when it was plan yogurt.

I will also dig through my notes as I have a recipe for homemade mozzarella. It can be done with mostly stuff around the house or you can buy the rennet over the net. Nothing says cheese like fresh made salt free mozzarella!

Pandora
07-10-2004, 22:05
parmigianna reggiano, asiago, woolwich goat cheese (plain & w/ peppercorns), havarti w/ dill, and boursin herb & garlic (stirred a tablespoon in tonight's wine sauted mushrooms - mmmmm)

Huey14
07-11-2004, 09:22
Aged Chedder. Don't have any recipies except for on crackers.

Roguish Lawyer
07-11-2004, 19:03
Right now?

American wrapped slices
Shredded sharp cheddar
Shredded cheddar/mozzarella mix
Sliced provolone
Sliced mozzarella
Sliced low fat swiss
Low fat string cheese (mozzarella)
Shredded parmesan
Aged parmesan (not sure exact type, but it's B+ cheese)

We may have some cheddar snack-size pieces too.

myclearcreek
07-11-2004, 19:29
What RL said, minus the provolone. Most of the cheese I purchase from Braum's.

echoes
04-22-2012, 20:52
Did a search for Cheese, and found this old jem...

So this is a display I made with some of my new favorites, Manchengo-Montoro, Brie, Smoked Cheddar, and Havarti.

There is so much one can do with cheese, especially the design and cut of the slices for presentation. Lately, my focus in on highlighting the different textures and flavors with the combinations.:)

It is comfort food, and who doesn't love a flavor explosion in their mouth?

Holly:munchin

echoes
04-22-2012, 22:19
And tonight, we enjoyed a nice Cheteau St. Jean 2008 Cab Sav with shaved Pecorino a top mixed greens with Champagne Vin...so there are also a lot of wine and cheese combinations to explore...if anyone has any favorites?;)

Holly

mark46th
04-22-2012, 22:58
Trying to cut down on the dairy but I have:
Bufalo Mozz, parmreg, aged extra sharp cheddar, monterey jack/cheddar cubes.

Dusty
04-23-2012, 04:25
Head, Hoop and Goat

longrange1947
04-23-2012, 10:49
Right now some of my cheeses are in need of resupply, however I have the following at this time: Monterey Jack, Co-Jack, Pepper Jack, cheddar (Yellow Sharp and White Extra Sharp), Longhorn Cheddar, Provolone, Baby Swiss, Mozzarella (shredded and ball), Edan, Gouda, Velvetta, and packets of Mexican and Italian Shredded. Yes, much to my doctors chagrin, I love cheese.

Recipe for my wife's famous Mac and Cheese.

1 1/2 cups Elbows, cooked in salted water until tender then drain.

I saucepan melt 3 tablespoons butter and blend in 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, dash of pepper (to taste).

Once blended add 2 cups milk and cook and stir till thick and bubbly.

Add 12 ozs of Cracker Barrel Sharp Cheddar cubed and 2 slices of Velveeta cheese (this is the sandwich slices that come pre-wrapped, this adds richness to the mix) and stir until all is melted.

In 1 1/2 qt saucepan place well drained elbows and pour in the cheese sauce, place in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes and serve hot.

You can garnish with Paprika for added taste when removed from oven.

Enjoy.

Oh yes, family secret recipe don't let anyone know. :D

greenberetTFS
04-23-2012, 11:57
Nothing like some Limburger spread over crackers..........;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
04-23-2012, 12:29

Big Teddy, somebody has been jacking with you. Limburger is for rat bait. ONLY!

greenberetTFS
04-23-2012, 12:38
Dusty

:D :D :D

PSM
04-23-2012, 12:53

Limburger Cheese Sandwich (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Cm-blfss64) :D

Pat

mark46th
04-23-2012, 13:05
LR1947- Your wife's recipe is similar to mine. For toppings, my family likes crushed potato chips. If it is for Chili Mac, I use Fritos or tortilla chips. Maybe not health food but definitely comfort food. For a different flavor to Mac and cheese, try adding some nopales...

longrange1947
04-23-2012, 15:53
LR1947- Your wife's recipe is similar to mine. For toppings, my family likes crushed potato chips. If it is for Chili Mac, I use Fritos or tortilla chips. Maybe not health food but definitely comfort food. For a different flavor to Mac and cheese, try adding some nopales...

Definitely not health food but it is dam good. Have had both Fritos and Potato chips with them as well, again not health but good. Do have to watch my intake when she makes this as I can over eat. :D

Gypsy
04-23-2012, 18:00
Oh yes, family secret recipe don't let anyone know. :D

Mums the word. :D

Manchego, Fontina, Parmegiano Reggiano, Munster, Cheddar.

My latest craze is imported Sicilian green olives. Not too salty...oh so yummy.

Dusty
04-23-2012, 18:02
Mums the word. :D

Munster.

You scare me sometimes, Punkin. :D

Gypsy
04-23-2012, 18:03
You scare me sometimes, Punkin. :D

LOL!

Don't be ascared. :D

cbtengr
04-25-2012, 19:06
Stop at any Wisconsin travel center/rest area and get a copy of a special Wisconsin road map to many of the states cheese outlets and dairies, Wisconsin is to cheese like Napa or Sonoma is to wine.

longrange1947
04-25-2012, 19:29
Stop at any Wisconsin travel center/rest area and get a copy of a special Wisconsin road map to many of the states cheese outlets and dairies, Wisconsin is to cheese like Napa or Sonoma is to wine.

That is one of my planned stops as I and wife trip across the US during my time of screwing off. :)

Another is Kentucky and Tenn Bourbon/Whiskey stops. :D