PDA

View Full Version : Trying to enlist- Airborne stamp with Med waiver

MutherRucker
08-11-2009, 10:19
Hello All.

This will be a long post, but I have been trying hard to get enlisted since April of 2009. I need some experienced persons to advise me on this final leg of my process.

I have decided to enlist in the Active Duty Army. Being very interested in SF, I am seeking an 18X contract.

The first time I arrived at the MEPS, I disclosed that I had a kidney stone in 2007. They sent me to a lab to have x-rays taken to ensure that I don't have any remaining stones. The radiologist found what he thought were more kidney stones. Reoccurring stones are a disqualifying condition, so I was sent home from the MEPS without signing.

As a last ditch effort to salvage my dreams of being in the Army, I went to an urologist to confirm what the lab found. I explained to my doctor how they diagnosed me and he concluded that the type of imaging they used was 2-dimensional and was incapable of correctly diagnosing kidney stones. The lab at his hospital gave me a KUB (3D imaging) and found no stones.

I submitted a letter from the doctor of his findings and all records pertaining to the visit to my recruiter. My recruiter called me 4 weeks later informing me that “My waiver was approved.”

Question 1: Why did my recruiter apply for a waiver for a condition that I didn’t actually have?

I went back to the MEPS this Monday morning to get signed up. When I sat in front of the Army counselor, he informed me that I cannot receive an 18X contract because I cannot obtain an “Airborne Stamp” on my physical due to the waiver. He offered me 11X. I promptly left the office and did not sign.

During my research, I discovered a few relevant threads on this board describing similar situations.

In this thread (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757&highlight=airborne+waiver), the recruit had a similar problem in that he was told his waiver for PRK prevented him from obtaining an Airborne stamp. The members (QPs as well) generally thought the Army Counselor was lying and that he should stick to his guns and press for the 18X contract. They also recommended that he find a new recruiter that will get the job done.

Question 2: My recruiter was about as surprised as I was when I didn’t get the stamp. I do not believe that she is preventing me from the contract; the Army counselor at the MEPS is. Should I still consider a different recruiter?

In that same thread, user .45ACP personally attests that you can get an Airborne stamp with a medical waiver at the MEPS because he had gotten one. His waiver was also for a PRK.

Also in that same thread, The Reaper notes that “[they] are getting quite a few guys with waivers into 18X” which implies that it is possible to get an Airborne stamp with a waiver.

Question 3: Am I being lied to? Can I get the Airborne stamp (and then 18X) with a waiver?

Currently my recruiter thinks I will go 18X or nothing. I will end up enlisting as 11X and going the long route if I have to, but I don’t want to abandon the 18X just yet. The 18X has that special word (Guarantee) that tells me no matter what happens, at least I’ll get a shot a SFAS.

Thank you for investing your time to read this. Please advise.

Surgicalcric
08-11-2009, 10:38
...Question 1: Why did my recruiter apply for a waiver for a condition that I didn’t actually have?

Question 2: My recruiter was about as surprised as I was when I didn’t get the stamp. I do not believe that she is preventing me from the contract; the Army counselor at the MEPS is. Should I still consider a different recruiter?

Question 3: Am I being lied to? Can I get the Airborne stamp (and then 18X) with a waiver?

1- Because the MD at MEPS denied your enlistment due to a disqualifying condition. Your physician's diagnosis can be taken into consideration (on advisement) but the MEPS MD is the final authority at that level.

2- Technically speaking regardless of what the medical waiver is for the waiver in itself is a disqualifier for receiving the stamp. That said, it is possible to get an ABN stamp with a waiver (I got one.) It isnt your recruiter thats causing the issue here its someone wanting to put their neck out there and risk you packet being audited, after which the counselor would get his/her ass in trouble.

3- See #2.

Crip

MutherRucker
08-11-2009, 11:10
Excellent. Thank you for that information. That makes perfect sense of it all! In your experience, how rare is it to have a counselor "stick there neck out" and allow someone with a med waiver to get the stamp? Any advise on how I can go about convincing the counselor to do this for me?

Thanks again!

The Reaper
08-11-2009, 11:30
Hello All.

This will be a long post, but I have been trying hard to get enlisted since April of 2009. I need some experienced persons to advise me on this final leg of my process.

I have decided to enlist in the Active Duty Army. Being very interested in SF, I am seeking an 18X contract.

The first time I arrived at the MEPS, I disclosed that I had a kidney stone in 2007. They sent me to a lab to have x-rays taken to ensure that I don't have any remaining stones. The radiologist found what he thought were more kidney stones. Reoccurring stones are a disqualifying condition, so I was sent home from the MEPS without signing.

As a last ditch effort to salvage my dreams of being in the Army, I went to an urologist to confirm what the lab found. I explained to my doctor how they diagnosed me and he concluded that the type of imaging they used was 2-dimensional and was incapable of correctly diagnosing kidney stones. The lab at his hospital gave me a KUB (3D imaging) and found no stones.

I submitted a letter from the doctor of his findings and all records pertaining to the visit to my recruiter. My recruiter called me 4 weeks later informing me that “My waiver was approved.”

Question 1: Why did my recruiter apply for a waiver for a condition that I didn’t actually have?

I went back to the MEPS this Monday morning to get signed up. When I sat in front of the Army counselor, he informed me that I cannot receive an 18X contract because I cannot obtain an “Airborne Stamp” on my physical due to the waiver. He offered me 11X. I promptly left the office and did not sign.

During my research, I discovered a few relevant threads on this board describing similar situations.

In this thread (http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1757&highlight=airborne+waiver), the recruit had a similar problem in that he was told his waiver for PRK prevented him from obtaining an Airborne stamp. The members (QPs as well) generally thought the Army Counselor was lying and that he should stick to his guns and press for the 18X contract. They also recommended that he find a new recruiter that will get the job done.

In that same thread, user .45ACP personally attests that you can get an Airborne stamp with a medical waiver at the MEPS because he had gotten one. His waiver was also for a PRK.

Also in that same thread, The Reaper notes that “[they] are getting quite a few guys with waivers into 18X” which implies that it is possible to get an Airborne stamp with a waiver.

Currently my recruiter thinks I will go 18X or nothing. I will end up enlisting as 11X and going the long route if I have to, but I don’t want to abandon the 18X just yet. The 18X has that special word (Guarantee) that tells me no matter what happens, at least I’ll get a shot a SFAS.

Thank you for investing your time to read this. Please advise.

I would hold out for the 18X, but the word "guarantee" is of little value.

Most 18Xs never make it to a team, and wind up as 11Bs.

OTOH, you can enlist as an 11B, and unless you still have a DQ or fail to make the standards, IIRC, you can sign up for SFAS as soon as you are an E-4.

Either route will get you there, if you have what it takes.

Things should change on 1 October. New year, new quota.

TR

Surgicalcric
08-11-2009, 12:17
...In your experience, how rare is it to have a counselor "stick there neck out..."

I dont have any experience in that area so I wont comment on it.

Mind what TR said about holding out for an 18X contract. If you dont get "the stamp," time in the Infantry will not be wasted, providing you suck up the knowledge of those around you, like a sponge...

Best of luck.

Crip

MutherRucker
08-11-2009, 12:21
Thank you both for your input.

Scimitar
08-11-2009, 15:56
To add to this,

I too was able to get an Airborne waiver. The MEPS counsellor was probably just trying to see if you'd take 11B; you say no; and then he does the extra work to get the Airborne Stamp, which I believe he has to go through the Airborne School CO to get. Not knocking the counsellor, just the way the system works.

Another possibility / option. As TR pointed out there has been a clamp down on waivers being accepted etc. But things are very likely to open up 1 Oct onwards. There is an intake around 11 Nov if you are willing to wait that long. If you plan to resubmit your packet just after 1 Oct there will likely still be contracts available for that intake. Be warned though, I understand that there is a 3 month wait after that class intake, I believe they are not running SFAS during the 2 summer months, which causes a gap in 18X intakes during Dec-Feb. I have heard this second hand, so not from the horses mouth, but if you are trying to plan around a ship date, it is worth investigating.

Another option…many individuals have enlisted 11B, and then approached SF internal recruiters once at Benning. The internal SF recruiters have the power to bring you over to an 18X contract during Basic, and possibly can work around Med Regs a little easier then MEPS. I know of a few who have done this successfully, but again no guarantees. Contact the Benning SF recruiting unit and talk with them directly and see what they can do. I can provide POC if needed

HTH

Scimitar

MutherRucker
08-12-2009, 13:00
Thank you for your information, Scimitar. I would love a POC at Benning if you have one for me.

Regarding the MEPS situation, I contacted my recruiter and requested to attend the next Saturday processing day at MEPS. I informed her that others in the past have made it into 18X with waivers which prompted her to contact a friend she has at the Army office to get the "inside" story. I don't know what her friend does specifically at the Army office at the MEPS but I know the friend is a SSG and works behind a desk at the Army office. Today her friend informed my recruiter that getting the stamp with a waiver would still be a "no go".

It looks like I am on my own with the counselor at this point. When I get to the MEPS on Sept 12th, does anyone have any advice on how to handle the counselor? If you do chip in your 2 cents, please let me know what your experience is that leads you to believe your approach will be successful. If it makes any difference, I will be attempting to enlist at the Chicago MEPS. Thanks.

Scimitar
08-13-2009, 03:44
I would love a POC at Benning if you have one for me

Go here and select "Contact the SORB"
link (http://www.bragg.army.mil/sorb/SORB_SPECIALFORCES.html)

BTW just for kicks and giggles, type "SORB" (Special Operations Recruiting Battalion) into Google and tell me the first hit you get.

Priceless, you can't script that kind of stuff. :D

Oh…report back your findings would you....would be interested to see if this is still an option for anybody.

Regarding the MEPS situation, I contacted my recruiter and requested to attend the next Saturday processing day at MEPS. I informed her that others in the past have made it into 18X with waivers which prompted her to contact a friend she has at the Army office to get the "inside" story. I don't know what her friend does specifically at the Army office at the MEPS but I know the friend is a SSG and works behind a desk at the Army office. Today her friend informed my recruiter that getting the stamp with a waiver would still be a "no go".

Sorry...where does her friend work....:D

Again, this is likely the current hold on intake with Recruiting Command. However it may just be a permanent policy change (hope not, my airborne waiver request is going up to MEPS in a few weeks).

It looks like I am on my own with the counsellor at this point. When I get to the MEPS on Sept 12th, does anyone have any advice on how to handle the counsellor? If you do chip in your 2 cents, please let me know what your experience is that leads you to believe your approach will be successful. If it makes any difference, I will be attempting to enlist at the Chicago MEPS. Thanks.

I highly recommend using mild military courtesy, by that I mean, stand at ease when talking to anyone in uniform, know your ranks and address people correctly. This will go a long way to them treating you seriously. By 'mild' I mean don't come across too gung-ho, that might have more of a negative effect. Capesh?

The councillors I dealt with where pretty reasonably, simply make your request, if denied, politely advise that you are seeking only an 18X contract and does he/she know weather this no airborne waiver policy is temporary and weather it may possible change in the new recruiting year, or weather it is a permanent policy change, then ask for any advice he/she can give to circumnavigate the issue.

Also it might be wise to approach the main desk early on and advise them of your intent, that way they wont waste to much time processing stuff only to find out that you don't want to sign anything, however this will cause you to have a very long day. ;)

Better your long day then their wasted work

Oh report back on what the councilor says as well would you. Always good for others to have any G2 you gather. Believe me when I say that there will be others that go down the same path you are.

HTH

Scimitar

MutherRucker
08-13-2009, 06:40
BTW just for kicks and giggles, type "SORB" (Special Operations Recruiting Battalion) into Google and tell me the first hit you get.

I assumed, since you offered a POC that you knew someone personally. I would certainly have no problem finding a contact listed on public sources.

Sorry...where does her friend work....

:p I know that was wordy but I hate using pronouns when writing. Its hard to get your exact point across.

Any way, thanks for the tips. I will need to decide if I will wait until after Oct 1 if my attempt to enlist on September 12 fails.

Scimitar
08-13-2009, 23:13
I've talked to the guys down there a couple of times, you're not wasting your time calling them, they will be happy to help, they have before with similar situations.

Just a point here, normally you wont get sent to MEPS for a situation like yours unless they already know you have the waiver. Are you sure your recruiter knows your intent? Nicely query her on what she's doing, if MEPS gets pissed of with your recruiter they may as well get pissed off with you.

Not saying your recruiter doesn't know what shes doing, Recruiters are very busy in an extreemly complex system, and oversights do happen.

My understanding of the normal process is that she will lodge a waiver request, she will getback that it is allowed, and then send you up to process that Waiver.

S

MutherRucker
08-21-2009, 07:44
For those interested, the policy that prohibits the MEPS from airborne-qualifying an Army applicant can be found here: USMEPCOM Regulation 601-96 (http://www.usarec.army.mil/im/formpub/rec_pubs/r601_96.pdf), Appendix R-6, Section A, lines 2 and 5 (Page 83 in that PDF).

I was able to have an Exception To Policy (ETP) submitted in order to circumnavigate that regulation. I was told by an LTC that the likely hood of that ETP being granted is high.

In the mean time, I went back to the MEPS this morning to obtain approval for my security clearance required for 18X. The security interviewer sent my information to OPM at Ft. Leonard Wood for review. OPM denied my request for security clearance due to repeat traffic violations (speeding), and failure to carry insurance card (all of the later were thrown out, i.e. no convictions). I can PM a full legal history if anyone is interested.

I would imagine that I am sunk for 18X at this point. Anyone have a different opinion?

If 18X is not an option for me, I will be enlisting as 11X and going the ol' fashioned way. Anyone have any tips for me to sweeten up my contract? I.e. are there any good schools that I can request right of the bat? I will be attempting to have Airborne in my contract as 11X (option 4), but what else can I request to make myself more attractive to the SF?

Also, should I knock out my DLAB at the MEPS before I enlist, while waiting to ship, or should I do it in the Army?

Surgicalcric
08-21-2009, 09:55
...Anyone have a different opinion?

...but what else can I request to make myself more attractive to the SF?

Also, should I knock out my DLAB at the MEPS before I enlist, while waiting to ship, or should I do it in the Army?

There really is nothing you can ask for in your contract that will make you more marketable to SF. Your performance at SFAS will do the talking for you. That being said I would do everything possible to get ABN in my contract. When you get to wherever your duty station will be learn EVERYTHING you can from those around you, it will pay off later if and when you get to SF, regardless of your MOS.

The DLAB has an expiration date on it so I would wait til I got to SFAS unless you currently speak another language and in that case you would be taking the DLPT instead.

Crip

Twinkdawg
08-21-2009, 11:42
MutherRucker, I would see about clearing up that issue you have with your security clearance. Me and most of mine were required to get a TS in order to do our jobs. If you can't get a secret clearance than you have bigger problems ahead of you. An important portion of the 18B course requires a secret clearance, let alone the other MOS's. So before I go signing any contracts I would make sure that issue is ironed out.

MutherRucker
08-21-2009, 12:06
Thank you guys for you advise.

The reason I was denied the clearance was due to reoccurring instances of the same offenses, i.e. speeding and not carrying an insurance card (mandatory in my state). I would imagine the only thing I could do to clear up this issue is not cease driving over the limit and to be sure I have my insurance info; or am I mis-understanding you? Will the past come back to haunt me in the pipeline if I maintain an impeccable driving record from this point onward?

Scimitar
08-21-2009, 18:54
MR,

Did iyou call the guys at Benning?

MEPS is not allowing any legal waivers at this time, or very few at least.

1) Things may open up in Oct, no promises

2) Call the guys at Benning, my understanding is that they are not a part of USAREC but directly under Assession Command and can play with the rules differently.

My belief is they really couldn't care less about some speeding offences when it come to Secret Clearance, but their hands are bound by the current hold on any legal waivers.

Call the guys at Benning and report back, you go in with an 11B Airbourne contract and they might be able to pick you uo during Basic. They have done this often before.

HTH

Scimitar

Richard
08-21-2009, 20:23
Airbourne

Is that a brown job from Wales? ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Surgicalcric
08-22-2009, 07:10
My belief is they really couldn't care less about some speeding offenses when it come to Secret Clearance, but their hands are bound by the current hold on any legal waivers.

Scimitar

Security clearances are handled by OPM and yes they do care about repeat traffic offenses. Most everyone has received a speeding ticket at some point in their lives but to have many in a short amount of time shows a disregard for the law and considered a negative behavioral pattern.

Having spent a considerable amount of time in the S2 shop at SWTG(A) squaring mine away (dual citizenship) I saw quite a few candidates have their applications for a secret clearance denied for repeat traffic offenses, debt to income ratio issues, spousal issues...

Depending on the offense(s), date(s) of the aforementioned, and the disposition(s) it could be an issue.

Calling USAREC, AC, nor the SF Liaison at Benning will change the offense or how the adjudicating authority perceives it. But call away if you really think it will change things...

Again, MR, my advice to you is to take it one step at a time. Get in and then apply for SFAS, if thats what you still want to do. In the meantime you would do yourself well to stop speeding. This will put some space between the MR of today (obeying the law) and that of your past...

HTH,

Crip

Costa
08-22-2009, 15:08

In my case, I was granted the 18X contract before taking the DLAB. However, in this scenario, one must take the DLAB within a specific time frame after their contract is approved. Simply taking the DLAB (not passing or failing) is required for the 18X contract. Your counselor at MEPS would inform you of this and usually schedule or have your recruiter schedule your test date after you sign (- no sense in taking a test that isnt needed!).

I would first worry about getting slotted for the 18X option before worrying about testing.

Scimitar
08-22-2009, 16:04
Thanks Cric for clearing that up.

S

Scimitar
08-22-2009, 16:07
Is that a brown job from Wales? ;)

Damn dialects! :D

ibjames1118
08-25-2009, 18:39
Hello Professional Soldiers and everyone else. Thank you for your service. Also, I appreciate the information your site provides and am thankful for the opportunity to be a part of and learn from it.

Would it be alright if i print this thread and take it to my recruiter? We are facing a similar issue with a shoulder that shows some arthritis and "degenerative changes". I have been evaluated by a civilian doctor and his evaluation has been at the processing station for about a month now. Last week I heard from my recruiter that it looks as if the best case scenario will be that I am allowed to join but not with the 18x contract. I have been trying to sign an 18x-ray contract since February and feel as if this information may be helpful. .

MutherRucker
09-01-2009, 11:50
I consulted a lawyer that is familiar with the Security clearance appeal process. He informed me, that based on my description of events, the security interviewer BS'ed me about sending the SF86 to OPM; and for good reason. The lawyer said that I would likely have been denied, and clearance denial would stick with me and hinder my chances of obtaining a clearance in the future.

So I'll be going to old fashioned route to the SF as an 11-series recruit, however I do have 2 questions for the QP community here; I have already discussed my concerns with a SF recruiter at Bragg and at Benning, but before I discard my current life for one in the Army, I would like to be as sure as I can be...

1. I am entering the military with a medical waiver for kidney stones. Will that follow me around during my military career? Will it hinder my chances of being accepted to attend SFAS and Q?

2. I have a history of speeding tickets. having made a personal goal not to get any more moving violations from this point on, will I have a problem obtaining the necessary level of clearance for a career in SF 3 to 4 years from now?

Thank you for your input.

Surgicalcric
09-01-2009, 12:21
1. I am entering the military with a medical waiver for kidney stones. Will that follow me around during my military career? Will it hinder my chances of being accepted to attend SFAS and Q?

2. I have a history of speeding tickets. having made a personal goal not to get any more moving violations from this point on, will I have a problem obtaining the necessary level of clearance for a career in SF 3 to 4 years from now?

Thank you for your input.

1. Not at all. there are plenty of guys with medical waivers who are in SF; I am one of them.

2. Shouldnt be if you stop getting tickets (ie:stop speeding.)

Crip

MutherRucker
09-01-2009, 14:46
1. Not at all. there are plenty of guys with medical waivers who are in SF; I am one of them.

2. Shouldnt be if you stop getting tickets (ie:stop speeding.)

Crip

Good to hear!

On a side note, I just received word that my Exception to Policy (ETP) for the Airborne stamp was approved!!!! So looks like I'll be attending MEPS with a nice 11x Option 4 contract waiting for me.

Thanks for the counseling gentlemen!

f50lrrp
09-01-2009, 15:33
Way back in 1964, I had a wreckless Driving Citation from the California Highway Patrol. It stayed with me the entire 8 years that I was in the Army.

It didn't stop me from obtaining a Top Secret Clearance, but every time that I had my clearance validated, it came up. Good luck.

The Reaper
09-01-2009, 15:40
Way back in 1964, I had a wreckless Driving Citation from the California Highway Patrol.

I have to get one of those, it could come in handy.:D

TR

SF_BHT
09-01-2009, 17:20
I had speeding tickets and it never stood in my way eithor.......

Time will help and just slow down and keep your nose clean....

Richard
09-01-2009, 17:34
On a side note, I just received word that my Exception to Policy (ETP) for the Airborne stamp was approved!!!! So looks like I'll be attending MEPS with a nice 11x Option 4 contract waiting for me.

You got your wish - the ball's now in your court. Good luck!

Air.177
10-20-2009, 19:49
As has been mentioned previously, these Exception to Policy endorsements can be had, but it is up to you to "play Hardball" with the counselors at MEPS and make them submit the request.

Good times,
Blake

Utah Bob
10-22-2009, 11:46
Now bear down.

MutherRucker
11-13-2009, 16:36
To all that have been reading this thread...

On 13 NOV, 4 days before I was suppose to ship on my 11X opt 4 contract, I received a call from my recruiter informing me that an 18X contract will be awaiting my signature on 16 NOV at the MEPS.

With the help of 2 officers in the recruiting battalion, I sifted through the pig shit about my alleged security clearance denial, obtained a clearance as well as a Special Forces Enlistment contract.

Thanks to all that assisted me in my enlistment process. Never say die! See you at Bragg. :cool:

SF_BHT
11-13-2009, 17:12
You had better be in shape..... Good luck

Menschenschreck
02-24-2011, 12:50
I discovered this thread while searching for topics on Airborne stamps. I realize this is an old thread, but I thought that sharing my experience on the subject may help others who might be having similar hangups. I searched for any rule regarding the responses to older topics and could not find anything, so if this thread is too old for me to respond, I apologize.

In 2010 May, I attended MEPS for the first time to complete the full processing. When I was asked to express my Tensor Tympani for the Valsalva maneuver, I disclosed that I had a head cold and was very congested. The doctor responded that the Eustachian tube has nothing to do with sinuses, even though that tube is what connects one's middle ear to their pharynx; and I would have to attempt the maneuver regardless. I did and was recorded as having an unsatisfactory Valsalva.

When I requested the 18X contract, I was informed that I was not eligible because of an inability to pass the Airborne physical. I immediately spoke to the base commander and the head doctor, who both told me to get an independent medical statement that asserted my ability to perform the manuever, if I wanted to be re-tested. I obtained such a statement and returned to MEPS where I was immediately medically disqualified and dropped from a 1 to a 3. The doctor stated that the medical statement indicated a history of Eustachian tube defect, even though the only mention of it was to cite MEPS' initial assessment. I obtained another medical statement which plainly stated that MEPS had misdiagnosed me based on a sinus infection and that I did not have, nor have I ever had, Eustachian tube dysfunction. In the case of both statements, I repeatedly and successfully performed the maneuver.

Returning again, I was told that MEPS does not re-test and that I was pretty much SOL for any contract which required an Airborne stamp. My recruiter urged me to sign with Infantry. I declined, which led to some friction between the recruiting station I was using and myself.

I eventually got a medical waiver (another case of a waiver being issued in lieu of any actual medical hindrances) by intervention from a congressperson and a very nice individual from USAREC and returned to MEPS, where I was informed that Airborne does not accept medical waivers and that even if I were to be re-tested, the initial existence of the waiver would maintain my inability to obtain an Airborne stamp.

At this point in time, I switched recruiting stations and recruiters and explained the situation to him. Within a month, I had received letters of exception from Infantry, Airborne, and SF.

Two weeks ago, 2011 February, I traveled to MEPS and was able to get an 18X contract, but was still unable to get an Airborne stamp. I'm trusting that this won't be too much of an obstacle when I get to Benning and start the pipeline, though any insight on this matter would be very appreciated. Last week, I took the DLAB and qualified for all language categories. I can now focus on running, rucking, and reading all that I can to prepare for July.

What I learned is that MEPS is complex, with many places where things can go wrong, but there are ways to get around certain assessments and obstacles. There were many times when I had thoughts of taking a more available MOS, but tenacity and patience paid off. It took a total of 7 visits to MEPS and enough time on the phone to go nearly $500 over my monthly bill, but I am thankful for the experience because it centered me and helped me solidify my understanding of why I want to be in the company of the Special Forces brotherhood. Where there's a will, there's a way.

1stindoor
02-25-2011, 12:44
... Where there's a will, there's a way.

Please keep repeating that mantra...for SF is not in your future without going through airborne school. Good luck...and keep up the good fight.

Menschenschreck
02-25-2011, 20:05
Thank you. I won't presume assumptions regarding my performance at selection, but I will be there and I will spend every minute until that time preparing my mind and body. The SF recruiters at Fort Stewart told me that I can receive Airborne training after SFAS, but I am and will be pursuing whatever course of action is necessary to ensure that I am allowed jump training in a way that won't be an impediment to my 18X contract.

Dozer523
02-25-2011, 23:21
It's up to you, go get em.
Congratulations on proving "them" wrong. I hate "them".

Ski20
03-04-2011, 18:00
Well this is good to know that you got a 18x contract with a med waiver. The only way I can get back in right now is too retrain with an 18x contract (but I have a med waiver). I contacted my recruiter on monday or tuesday asking about getting an Exception to Policy so I could enlist with an 18x contract with a med waiver, he said he would bring it up, but has yet to call me back. Now that I know it is possible I am going to push the hell out of it respectfully.

Black Cloud
03-18-2011, 21:08
I too am in the same boat. On 04JAN11 I was informed at MEPS I that I could not enlist in a MOS with a BAC slot (option 4, 40, 18X). From reading similar threads I knew that this was a possibility, so I figured I would enlist as an 11X, and later submit an ETP request and then re-no my contract. On 05JAN11 I asked my recruiter to submit an ETP request for USAREC reg 601-96, R-6, sec (a), lines 2 & 5. After 3 months of asking my station commander, on 17MAR11 he finally tells me that it was denied at battalion level within USAREC.

It was worth a shot, and I still thank Jesus, Buddha, Moses, etc. that my med waiver was approved and that my PULHES came back a picket fence. Time spent in the Infantry will not be wasted, and I will put forth my best effort, and focus on learning all that I can.

Maybe someone else will have success with the ETP request, it has happened. Best of luck.

Woodman
03-30-2011, 12:36
Due to injuries I sustained in highschool (none requiring surgery) I was told at MEPS I would need a med waiver to enlist.
I was granted one for entry into the Army, but I was told that needing a med waiver is itself a disqualifier for the 18x program.
My recruiter submitted a request for an exception to policy, which was denied on MAR 14.
Because I spent a year at the military academy I am considered prior service, and as such ineligible for enlistment into active duty under any contract other than 18x.
Is the new fiscal year likely to change anything?
If so, is it possible to resubmit an exception to policy request in the new fiscal year?
Otherwise joining a National Guard infanty unit and putting in a request to attend selection seems to be my only option (an option I am currently looking into).
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

andwerise
03-31-2011, 10:55
Without going into all the specifics of my pity story, I figured it was worth mentioning that I also had an ETP for Med Waiver Denied by USAREC via the 18x Proponent on March 17th.

I also wanted to pass this along:

I have been told by my recruiter (who said it came from USAREC) that the ETP is a one and done deal. Once you are denied the ETP you cannot re-submit And based on what I am seeing here...it looks like they are not considering any ETP at this time, regardless of reasons. So if you have a med waiver and want to do 18X, might be best to wait until the new FY to file it. At least that is what my recruiter said he "would have advised me to do if he had known it was a one shot situation."

For those like me, stuck with a denied ETP and looking at an October ship date for 11X, might be worth a call to a National Guard SF Recruiter (POC available on here I do believe). I have been told the Guard does not have the same policy regarding recruits with medical waivers and their REP63 enlistment option (which, to the best of my research is the 18X pipeline that sends you to a Guard SF Group instead of an AD one). I should know in a few weeks if that information is accurate, but I thought I would pass that along as it seems there are more than a few guys on here in the same boat.

andwerise
05-02-2011, 00:48
NG wanted me to enlist in another MOS and then apply for selection once in. Although the NG success rate is quite good at selection, part time soldiering is not an option for me.

Signed 11X 2 weeks ago, will go in as an E3, and plan to volunteer for SFAS as soon as I am allowed. Rumors are you can try at OSUT, but I am patient enough that if I have to soldier through a deployment first, so be it, Ill be stronger for it.

Just wanted those out there to know, 18X slots are still available, lots of them. In fact there are more 18X available than 11X as of 2 weeks ago. The reason I mention that is because the NG SF guys tried to tell me Bragg had shut down 18X for the FY, to try and get me to abandon regular army. If your recruiter (NG or Army) tells you 18x is full, they're full of it. Unless you have a med waiver or some other problem with clearances, don't take no for an answer.

Best of luck everyone.