PDA

View Full Version : .17 HMR

swpa19
08-09-2009, 08:13
I have on this board admitted that Ive long since dropped out of the firearms loop.

Since re-visiting this site, Ive gotten interested in the various firearms, ballistics etc. again.

There is a nice little site here locally that features articles about hunting in my area, a "looking for" feature as well as a for sale section.

In the "Looking For" feature there are a lot of request for the .17 HMR. I mean a LOT of request.

Ive never been a fan of sub-calibers owned a 218 Bee, and a 5mm Rem. Mag. didnt like their performance at all.

Can anyone tell me just what the attraction of this little caliber is?

HOLLiS
08-09-2009, 08:26
Attraction, it is fun. Rather inexpensive and much like owning 22's. I have two, a very nice Marlin bolt gun and Thompson Contender carbine barrel.

Blitzzz (RIP)
08-09-2009, 08:59
I guess if you want to spend the money on that small a caliber for fun. That's fine, but for me I'd just use a 22 mag for fun or for the money at those calibers I'd do a 22-250.
I'm a heavy bullet guy for function. I mentally equate human body weight with bullet grain weights. That's why I don't shoot less than 150 gr bullets and very few of them. I mostly shoot in the 175+ zone.
I apologize for this post, it'is of no consequence to the 17 caliber question..

ZooKeeper
08-09-2009, 15:28
Can anyone tell me just what the attraction of this little caliber is?

Good marketing? I'm not sure what you are suppose to do with it. I think I would just use a 22 mag for about anything you would use it for. I asked my dad why he bought one...said it was fun.

HOLLiS
08-09-2009, 16:51
Also......... Basic economics of Firearm Ownership.............

More is preferred to less. :D

Silentxray
08-09-2009, 20:11
The little HMR is a fun round to shoot. I've got a gorgeous Marlin bull barrel that is an absolute tack driver. They are a great gun for smaller varmits, but I do know people that use them for coyotes. I honestly haven't killed a thing with mine, I just use it for plinking as it's dead accurate.

Chucky
02-11-2010, 13:20
I have shot quite a few rabbits with mine and it destroys them. I was using the 17grain ballistic tips as well as the hollow points. The hollow points seemed to do a lot more damage.

I watched a friend of mine shoot prairie dogs pretty consistently with his using the 20 grain hollow points out to 200 yards. They are fun and a lot cheaper to shoot then centerfire cartridges for prairie dogs.