View Full Version : SF teaching question
My platoon daddy has given each member of our platoon the task of coming up with a block of instruction to teach on any subject pertaining to our mission as Scouts. I want to do something past the ordinary call for fire, map reading and CLS type of stuff that most are doing. I have chosen the topic of SERE or E&E. I feel this is a subject that usually gets brushed over and no one seems to take it to seriously. After doing a search on SERE and E&E, I have found a whole lot of very useful information on putting together a SERE or E&E kit. I have tabbed my class as S.E.R. (Survival, Evasion and Recovery). When faced with a task that one’s not sure of he should go to the people who know and that why I am asking this forum. Can I get your ideas on how to teach this class? What would be your lesson plan?
Thanks for your help,
Mod's if this is not the right place for this question, sorry and please move to the correct forum.
1. Determine who your audience is. Is it the guys in your unit, HN personnel, etc.
2. Determine your environment, classroom w/ a one eye, team room, field training area, etc.
3. Determine amount of time alotted.
4. Determine your terminal & enabling objectives as well as Task, Conditions, & Standards. (Yeah, it is retarded when people include these in their PowerPoints but they are important if you want your POI to be teachable by someone else.)
5. Determine your teaching style preference.
x/S
Divemaster
09-08-2009, 02:05
I like your take on the subject (calling it SER). That tells me you are keeping real in that these skills are what Scouts can reasonably put in their rucks. I whelped as a Scout in 7th ID (L).
Some ideas (adjust for time and resources):
1. If very limited on time (ask for more time)- Take it outside for max hands on.
Survival- water purification; expedient shelter building; low visibility fires; how to equip a small survival kit.
Evasion- counter tracking; land nav without a map/compass; individual camo and concealment.
Recovery- Signaling (VS-17, mirror, signal fires, expedient); field expedient antennas; conduct upon contact with a rescue force.
2. If given (or you've successfully requested) significant time/ resources/ personnel:
Conduct the above classes with PE, then:
Set up a land navigation excerise with an evasion scenario. At each point the evader will be given an SER task to perform to standard. Another soldier will be grading the task. Squads can rotate as lane graders and OPFOR hunting evaders. Of course, this is dependent on having multiple training days (can be spread out over weeks). NCOs and the PL should go through the training as students. This will allow them to evaluate you better, but will also enhance their skills (they don't really know it all).
If you want to really get crazy, #2 could form the nucleus of a Regimental Scouts Out competition. We did something similar in 9th Regiment in the mid 1980s. Since my scout platoon (3/9) won, it was a brilliant idea.
I recommend reading "Bravo 20" by Andy Mcnab as well as "The One That Got Away" by Chris Ryan. Both of which conducted E&E in the real world. I haven't read "Operation Redwing" by Marcus Luttrell, but it may be another one to look into. I think to much SER (to borrow) is based of off Boy Scout type training. I.e building shelter's digging your fire pit, piss downstream etc as opposed to life on the run like we would be doing. Oh yeah don't forget the levels of E&E kit (Ruck, Kit, Person)
Just my .02cents
Oh yeah. I second what exsquid said about TLO & ELO. It will also help you from trying to cover to much.
Thanks for all the INFO and please keep the ideas coming. I have time now to sit back and compile everything and start putting something together. I just had the ACL in my right knee reconstructed a result of a bad exit from a UH-60. I have plenty of time as my class rotation has been pushed back.
I did read both Bravo Two-Zero and The One That Got Away. Talk about a contrast in stories. I took the Air Crew Survival and Recovery correspondence course and have done a lot of reading on the subject, both military and civilian. That along with the ideas put forth I am confident that I will be able to put an interesting and realistic block of instruction together.
NousDefionsDoc
09-10-2009, 18:40
Come your ass to SERE School and I'll spin you up personally.:p
Lutrell's book is called "Lone Survivor". If you mention B2-0 to anybody that's been to SERE, they'll strangle you.
Send me a PM with an AKO address and I'll try to help you.
True, B20 is Rogue Warrior-ish. And "The One That Got Away" is a bash-fest. But I am a believer that you can glean info from anything. NDD, Thanks for the correction about Lutrell's book. Have you read it or know anyone that has. Am thinking of getting it but I'm not a fan of those cat's writing style so....
I did read it. It is a pretty damn good book, I couldn't put it down.
NousDefionsDoc
09-10-2009, 19:54
True, B20 is Rogue Warrior-ish. And "The One That Got Away" is a bash-fest. But I am a believer that you can glean info from anything. NDD, Thanks for the correction about Lutrell's book. Have you read it or know anyone that has. Am thinking of getting it but I'm not a fan of those cat's writing style so....
I have indeed read it. Once you get past the mandatory BUD/S description it's not bad. Definitely not rogue Warrior-ish.
Well between the two of you, you've convinced me.
I believe there are a number of important lessons to be learned from "Lone Survivor", especially for someone that might be part of an SR mission.
SERE father Nick Rowe wrote a book, Five Years To Freedom that may have a few anecdotes that you can use.
SERE father Nick Rowe wrote a book, Five Years To Freedom that may have a few anecdotes that you can use.
I figured that was an implied task!
I believe there are a number of important lessons to be learned from "Lone Survivor", especially for someone that might be part of an SR mission.
So true. And the video never ceases to get me fired up.
Could anything in Myke Hawke’s “Green Beret Survival Manual” be applied to my preparation?
Team Sergeant
09-17-2009, 08:44
Could anything in Myke Hawke’s “Green Beret Survival Manual” be applied to my preparation?
Yes, take the pages, crumble them, add some wood chips and you now have the fixings for a very good fire.
Why don't you go ask some airsofters, this is not the place to mention the idiot known as myke hawke.
TS
Not to be hi-jacking my own thread, but who the hell is he anyway? I did not mean to offend anyone with my question. I saw the book online and was just asking. This has been a very informative thread and I sure as hell don't want it to go Elvis on me.
The Reaper
09-17-2009, 10:10
Not to be hi-jacking my own thread, but who the hell is he anyway? I did not mean to offend anyone with my question. I saw the book online and was just asking. This has been a very informative thread and I sure as hell don't want it to go Elvis on me.
Too lazy to use the Search button?
TR
Utah Bob
09-24-2009, 12:51
Could anything in Myke Hawke’s “Green Beret Survival Manual” be applied to my preparation?
Oh no, you did NOT say that!!
Is Myke Hawke any relation to Myke Hunt from PORKY's?:p
greenberetTFS
09-24-2009, 19:04
Is Myke Hawke any relation to Myke Hunt from PORKY's?
That's good,very good indeed................:rolleyes::eek:;)
Big Teddy :munchin
afsereguy
10-12-2009, 21:03
I'm not exactly sure what you want to teach... you said SERE then E&E then SER... I would emphasize evasion, any day of evading is better than a day in captivity. explain the 5 phases of evasion and practice them. If you do teach survival, incorporate evasion shelters made out of natural materials. You could also throw in Triangulation while evading if you have the terrain. so my generic lesson plan would go...
attention
motivation
overview
5 phases of evasion
*instructor demo
*student practice
triangulation
*instructor demo
*student practice
shelters
*instructor demo
*Student practice
summary
motivation
closing
Just an idea. I have taught every aspect of SERE for the last 3 1/2 years, if you have any questions let me know... Goodluck on your lesson...