PDA

View Full Version : Not a book a movie: Spartan

pulque
07-08-2004, 17:38
Anybody seen this one? I rented it last night. I am already a huge David Mamet fan, but this one is also a psychological thriller with a warrior theme. Eric Haney was the military/technical advisor, I don't know what y'all think about that.

Other than finding out that the supporting actors character used to be a ranger (he carries a copy of Roger's Orders), and the lead used to be a marine, you really dont find out any specifics. There are no government organizations names used, nor do you even know if "the politician" is the president. It makes for some great suspense, but besides all that, there are some great lines and action. Very poetic.

I'd be interested to hear any of this board's opinions..

Air.177
07-12-2004, 16:15
I picked this up yeaterday on a friend's recommendation. I haven't watched it yet, But It sounds decent.

Air.177
09-10-2004, 15:19
Just got around to watching this last night. Pretty good Movie, Several unexpected twists and turns. Val Kilmer - Not so good with some of the gunhandling, but other than that, a decent Movie.

Solid
09-10-2004, 15:36
I saw it a few nights ago with several Val Kilmer-loving ladies. I heard (heard) that some of it corresponds quite directly with Haney's life. They call him Master Gunner in one part of it, though... Wouldn't that make him a MGYSGYT (E-9) in the Marines? Master Gunnery SGT as opposed to Master Gunner?

I know, I know- it was a movie.

I quite liked the fact that they never mention any 'names'. Also, the plot doesn't come across as a typical action movie's -probably Mamet's influence- in that there is no real climax. All the gun fights just 'happen' with little build up.
Shots of it are unexpected. :D

Solid

brownapple
09-10-2004, 20:38
I own it. I like it.

vsvo
03-17-2006, 13:56
I just saw this movie the other night, with all of the publicity surrounding that TV show. The plot twists and suspense were pretty good, but Mamet's dialogue just doesn't do it for me anymore. Which is too bad, because Glengarry Glen Ross is so great.

His lines lately don't sound right for some reason. He made a movie a couple of years ago where a character said something like, "He's such a bad ass, when he goes to sleep the sheep count him." If he were talking about Chuck Norris or Jack Bauer, it would've been funny, but the character said it solemnly, and it sounded ridiculous.

Sigaba
09-06-2009, 00:35
Even with a better understanding of the controversy surrounding the film's technical adviser as well as some continuity issues, I enjoy Spartan for many reasons. Not the least because seeing that film for the first time in 2005 was the first step in a journey that led me to ps.com.

kgoerz
09-06-2009, 06:43
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Go Bag he carries in the Movie.

Sigaba
09-06-2009, 10:59
I can't believe no one has mentioned the Go Bag he carries in the Movie.
It took nearly two years of searching before I stumbled blindly upon the POK HBC.

jw74
09-06-2009, 11:09
Saw it a week ago. Thought it was ok. I also was not clear if he was a marine or not. There is also a scene when he is talking to the female secret service agent who mothered the kidnapped daughter and on the desk is a book and pamphlet that has the tinfoil hat crowd wondering because it uses a logo and title similar to the obama campaign.

Sigaba
09-06-2009, 12:26
CAVEAT. THIS POST CONTAINS A SPOILER FOR THE FILM SPARTAN (2004)

I also was not clear if he was a Marine or not.
IIRC, there are three pieces of evidence that suggest Scott is a Marine. The first is discussed in Solid's post, above, when COL Blane thanks Scott for his assistance. The second is when Scott and Ranger Curtis are discussing what Scott is going to do when he makes contact with Tariq Asani's people. Curtis asks Scott about the provision of never going anywhere without an overwatch. Scott replies along the lines of "Well, this is the fleet." The third occurs a bit later after the planned mission to Dubai is scrubbed. Scott and Grace sit at a bar and commiserate the unpleasant news about Laura Newton. Grace scolds Scott's display of emotion saying something about Marines being "weepy f--ks."

JW74--

Given our differing perspectives on the movie industry, I have two questions.

In your view, does Spartan qualify as a film about GWOT?
If it does, do you see it as portraying America's efforts favorably or unfavorably? (This second question is asked with a full understanding that a feature of common to all of Mamet's works is betrayal.)

jw74
09-06-2009, 12:55
JW74--

Given our differing perspectives on the movie industry, I have two questions.

In your view, does Spartan qualify as a film about GWOT?
If it does, do you see it as portraying America's efforts favorably or unfavorably? (This second question is asked with a full understanding that a feature of common to all of Mamet's works is betrayal.)

1. Uh NO. I do not see it as a film about the GWOT*
2. See above

*according to current White House Administration terminology, the GWOT will now be referred to as the "Overseas Contingency Operation". I know what a stickler you are for wording Sigaba. ;)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032402818.html

Sigaba
09-06-2009, 13:40
1. Uh NO. I do not see it as a film about the GWOT*
2. See above

*according to current White House Administration terminology, the GWOT will now be referred to as the "Overseas Contingency Operation". I know what a stickler you are for wording Sigaba. ;)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032402818.html
JW--

With respect, I'd asked the question to continue a dialogue, not to invite you to continue your attempts at snarkery.

FWIW, my continued use of GWOT is intentional. It reflects my rejection of the current administration's efforts to degrade the ongoing discussion among Americans of all walks of life about seriousness of the threats facing the western world.

Incidentally, as seem you familiar with the Washington Post, perhaps you've also seen the piece available here (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2004/03/12/AR2005033117627_pf.html)? In that article, Michael O'Sullivan, a film reviewer, offers an interesting take on Mamet's screenplay.[Mamet's] twisty, gripping story -- about a shadowy special-ops officer named Scott (Val Kilmer) working in league with the Secret Service, U.S. Marine Corps, FBI, CIA and White House aides to investigate the disappearance of the president's daughter (Kristen Bell) -- is clearly meant to make viewers think about terrorism in general. But more specifically, Mamet wants us to think about the events of 9/11, and whether it would have been possible, as some have alleged, for the government to have known about it in advance, and done nothing. You also can't help wondering about the Patriot Act and the accusations that have been leveled of human rights abuses, as Kilmer's trained killer goes about violating one person after another's right to continue breathing.
And as you have some familiarity with the 'tinfoil crowd', maybe you've seen the review available here (http://usa.mediamonitors.net/Headlines/Mamet-s-Spartan-Film-Misleads-America)?

jw74
09-06-2009, 13:56
JW--

With respect, I'd asked the question to continue a dialogue, not to invite you to continue your attempts at snarkery.

I have given my opinion of the movie Spartan. I added a bit of silly trivia that I had seen on the film. I was not trying to defend a doctoral thesis on the movie industry.
However...
You asked me if I thought the movie was a film on the GWOT. I told you that I did not see it as such. I don't see the 13th Warrior as a commentary on Scandinavian/Arab relations either. Now you are providing a review that disagrees with me. Yet I am of my original opinion, still.
Sigaba, not every thread has to be a debate.

Sigaba
09-06-2009, 14:26
Sigaba, not every thread has to be a debate.
JW--

Understood.:o

I enjoy talking about movies and have a long standing interest in how different people interpret aspects of American culture. Sometimes that enthusiasm comes across differently than I intend.

jw74
09-06-2009, 19:07
Sometimes that enthusiasm comes across differently than I intend.

No harm done. The internet does not convey tone very well.

11Ber
09-08-2009, 06:52
"What about the desert?"
"You don't want to go to the desert."

This movie is awesome based solely on quotable lines. Other than that...eh

HowardCohodas
09-08-2009, 14:17
I've seen this movie several times on cable. I've enjoyed it each time and get something additional from each viewing.

Priest
09-08-2009, 23:06
This movie basically a bible for all special operations soldiers, I highly encourage anyone interested in any field that requires a pair to learn from Val Kilmer and his infinite knowledge of anything and everything that is awesome. Chuck Norris be damned.

The Reaper
09-09-2009, 07:22
This movie basically a bible for all special operations soldiers, I highly encourage anyone interested in any field that requires a pair to learn from Val Kilmer and his infinite knowledge of anything and everything that is awesome. Chuck Norris be damned.

Kilmer is an idiot.

TR

Razor
09-09-2009, 11:24

I'm really hoping you simply forgot to add an indicator that you're being sarcastic here.

mcarey
09-09-2009, 11:43
I saw it a few nights ago with several Val Kilmer-loving ladies. I heard (heard) that some of it corresponds quite directly with Haney's life. They call him Master Gunner in one part of it, though... Wouldn't that make him a MGYSGYT (E-9) in the Marines? Master Gunnery SGT as opposed to Master Gunner?

I know, I know- it was a movie.

I quite liked the fact that they never mention any 'names'. Also, the plot doesn't come across as a typical action movie's -probably Mamet's influence- in that there is no real climax. All the gun fights just 'happen' with little build up.
Shots of it are unexpected. :D

Solid

I beleive a Master Gunner is a senior warrant officer CW3/4 in the Marine Corps.

Razor
09-09-2009, 12:56
Maybe "Scott" was an Army guy that held an A8, J3, K7, K8, R8 or T4 ASI. :D

swpa19
09-09-2009, 13:16
from PRIEST:
learn from Val Kilmer and his infinite knowledge of anything and everything that is awesome.

WTF Young Troop. If I were a young man, (which Im not) Val Kilmer would be the LAST individual that I would choose to emulate. There are far more HONEST heroes that could be used as role models. Many frequent this board. Many have had books written about their REAL accomplishments.

If its hero worship that you want to endulge in, Save it for the real heroes.

The antihero
09-09-2009, 17:04
You know, after Val Kilmer said that egregious piece of idiocy about him being able to understand war better than a veteran 'cause he's an actor I cannot even look at his face without thinking he's wasting precious oxygen anymore.

As for the movie, I saw it a while ago and I don't really remember it so well, I think I'll rewatch it if I can just stand the sight of Kilmer on screen.