PDA

View Full Version : Vegetarian recipes

brewmonkey
07-08-2004, 17:25
I know that most of us here enjoy a hunk of dead flesh from time but we also have the need for some veggies with all that meat. How about some good vegetarian recipes?

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 18:22
Originally posted by brewmonkey
How about some good vegetarian recipes?

No, vegetarian recipes are for commie fags. LOL

Polar Bear
07-08-2004, 18:28
I like a potato w/ my steak

mffjm8509
07-08-2004, 18:31
NO VEGANS

mp

brewmonkey
07-08-2004, 18:33
Originally posted by mffjm8509
NO VEGANS

mp

Vegans and vegetarians are a different animal (pun intended). Vegas eat nothing that comes from an animal, no eggs, no milk etc...

They can usually be spotted drinking their mochchino at the corner starbucks while wearing those God awful chemical dreads and clothes made from hemp.

Gypsy
07-08-2004, 18:38
Ok here are some of my favs.

Mediterranean Veggie Salad

1 1/2 lbs green beens, stemmed and blanched
1/2 pint cherry or grape tomatoes cut in half
1/2 package/can pitted kalamata olives
1/2 large purple onion cut into vertical strips
1/2 lb feta cheese (crumbled or cut into chunk pieces)
1 cup plain low fat yogurt
1/2 c finely chopped fresh mint leaves
1/2 c tarragon vinegar
3/4 c olive oil
3/4 c vegetable oil
salt/pepper to taste

In a large bowl toss beans, tomatoes, olives, onion and feta until mixed.

In medium bowl whisk vinegar and mint leaves into yogurt until mixed. Slowly whisk oils into mixture then season with salt and pepper.

Add dressing to salad mixture and toss. Cover and refrigerate, but return to room temperature before serving.

Marinated green beans

2 lbs fresh green beans snapped
1 red onion diced
sundried tomatoes

Dressing:
olive oil
2 parts (compared to oil) rasberry vinegar
1 part (compared to oil) balsamic vinegar
2 tsp sugar
dash of worcestershire sauce
dash soy sauce

Steam green beans until tender but still crisp (about 7 min) toss in bowl with onion and sundried tomatoes and add dressing. Let sit anywhere from 4-8 hours, tossing once per hour.

Zucchini Bake

2 lbs grated zucchini
4 eggs beaten
2 tblsp grated onion
1 c cheddar cheese
1 c crushed saltine crackers
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 c melted butter

Combine all ingredients except cheese into greased (buttered) casserole dish. Bake 35-45 minutes covered. Sprinkle cheeses and bake an additional 10 minutes uncovered.

Pasta salad

4 c cooked and rinsed shell pasta
1 3/4 c (14 oz can) stewed tomatoes (dice them) and juice
1/2 c (6 oz) marinated artichoke hearts
1/2 c black olives (kalamata or regular)
1/4 c green onion
2 tblsp fresh basil
2 tblsp fresh oregano
2 tblsp parm cheese
2 tblsp red wine vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes

Combine all and chill

Sometimes I'll marinate whole portabello mushrooms in a bit of olive oil, balsamic, fresh garlic, salt/pepper, other spices as desired and grill.

Often I will slice and dice zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, onion, mushrooms, and any other veggies around and sautee in a bit of olive oil, fresh garlic, salt and pepper and have a big plate of veggies. **

** To this I sometimes add a bit of Chardonnay to the above veggie mix, cook it down then add Italian sausage chunks to create a giambotte (sp?)

The Reaper
07-08-2004, 19:01
Potatoes and tomato ketchup (not Heinz again till after November).

Maybe some sauteed mushrooms.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-08-2004, 19:02
Double baked potato

Baked potatoes
sour cream
black pepper
shredded or grated parmesan cheese

Bake the potatoes.

Scoop out potatoes into bowl, preserving integrity of the skin for stuffing.

Mix sour cream, black pepper and parmesan into the potato mixture. You want it almost blended, but still stiff.

Stuff potatoes and bake again until top is crispy and middle is hot (test with fork).

Dash of paprika or cayenne on top so it's nice and purty.

Serve with grilled steak and Newcastle.

Enjoy.

lrd
07-08-2004, 19:17
My mother's fresh creamed corn is to die for...but I'm not old enough yet to get the recipe.

myclearcreek
07-08-2004, 21:41
Uhhhh....vegeterian?

Deviled Eggs

Chicken Eggs, boiled until centers are hardened
Miracle Whip
Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing with Bacon
Jack Daniels Honey Mustard
salt
pepper

Shell the boiled eggs. Halve the eggs lengthwise and scoop out the yolk into a separate bowl. Place the egg white halves on a decorative plate. Mix the yolks with all remaining ingredients to taste. Note: I never measure in this recipe, since I rarely use the same number of eggs. For a nice presentation, use a pastry bag or cooke press to fill the egg whites. With my sons, I spoon it in as quickly as possible and hope there are one or two left for me.

Ghostrider
07-09-2004, 09:10
Isn't vegetarianism heresy???;)

Mushroom pizza:

ingredients:

pizza dough (homemade preferably, but store bought is ok)
3 cups of sliced mushrooms (use a mix of button, crimini, portabellas, whatever you can get)
1 sliced onion
3 cloves of garlic
4 TBS butter
1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
2 cups shredded Fontina cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
Olive oil

preheat oven....HOT

1. Saute mushrooms in 2 TBS butter until browned, remove from pan.
2. Add the remaining butter and caramelize onions then add garlic.
3. After garlic is softened add mushrooms back, mix well, salt and pepper to taste, turn off heat and let sit.
4. Prepare dough and drizzle with olive oil.
5. Spread Gorgonzola on dough, 1 cup of Fontina, then mushroom mixture, then top off with remaing 1 cup of Fontina.
6. Place in oven until cheese is melted and just barely browning.

Eat and enjoy!

You can vary the amount of just about everything in this, and add other herbs/spices as desired. I like a little tarragon mixed with the mushrooms.

myclearcreek
07-09-2004, 12:52
I will come up with some recipes with vegetables in the next day or so. But in the meantime.....

Have you ever substituted for potatoes as in the following?:

phrench fried carrots
mashed carrots (using butter and milk or cream, salt is optional)
mashed beets...."Mom, my mashed potatoes are purple!"

pickled beets - Mom's recipe

Pandora
07-10-2004, 22:19
Try making mashed spuds with some celeriac thrown in. mmmm...

Not sure if you've ever tried garlic scapes, but worth a try if you can get your hands on them. I do them several ways, but my favourite is a twist on an old italian recipe (beans in tomato sauce). Instead of flat beans, I use the scapes:

Saute a finely chopped onion and some pancetta in a small amount of olive oil, toss in a small can of roma tomatoes, small can of tomato sauce and 1-2 cups garlic scapes chopped in 1" pieces. Salt, pepper (sometimes a bit of crushed pepper), and herbs to taste. Simmer on med-low 1.5 hours until the scapes are tender. Nice side for prime rib, mashed potatoes, etc.

If anyone else knows good scape or artichoke recipes, pass them along.

Ghostrider
07-10-2004, 22:26
Originally posted by Pandora

Not sure if you've ever tried garlic scapes, but worth a try if you can get your hands on them.

Ok, I'll ask...What is a garlic scape? Hungry stomachs want to know!:D

Pandora
07-11-2004, 00:37
Ok, I'll ask...What is a garlic scape? Hungry stomachs want to know!

Garlic scapes are the stalk that grows above ground attached to the garlic. They have a bud at the top that looks a bit like a soft, immature garlic clove. The stalks are pretty small in diameter - 1/8 " maybe, and the really thin ones grow a bit curly. I snip the buds off and save as garnish, but I have read that Koreans consider them very delicious.

Pictures and a few recipes (http://www.dakotagarlic.com/garlic_scapes.htm) (the scapes with green beans is a favourite)

Ghostrider
07-11-2004, 07:40
Thank you Pandora.....may have to make a visit to the local Asian market.

Pandora
07-11-2004, 08:39
Most Farmer's Markets will have them June/July.

brownapple
07-11-2004, 18:46
For my annual 4th of July party, I make Baked Ziti for the vegetarians.

Penne cooked to al dente
mixed up in a bowl with a plain tomato sauce (a bit of oregano, a little basil)
Tons of mozarella melted over all of it.

Pretty simple.

Bravo1-3
07-15-2004, 00:44
"Pretty simple"

Simple is good. I have an even more simple solution: I don't feed vegetarians. :D

My motto is simple:

"There's plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the potatoes.”

brewmonkey
07-15-2004, 10:11
Originally posted by Greenhat
For my annual 4th of July party, I make Baked Ziti for the vegetarians.

Penne cooked to al dente
mixed up in a bowl with a plain tomato sauce (a bit of oregano, a little basil)
Tons of mozarella melted over all of it.

Pretty simple.

Here in the midwest they actually call it Mostaccioli. First time I saw it on a menu and the girl starts to explain what it is I say, "Ziti" and she says no it is blah blah and blah. My wife was giving me the evil eye the whole time. Everywhere you go in KC with the exdeption of Anthony's over on Broadway they call it mostaccioli. Anthony's is home of the KC crews, very cool place. You go in and they have Franki Valli pictures everywhere as well as on the stereo. You better let the old guy park your car too! Reminded me of being back in NY. Ahhhhh, the good old days.

Gypsy
07-15-2004, 18:55
Actually brew, there is mostacciolli and there is ziti. Mostaccioli is aka Penne which is larger than Ziti which is a bit "skinnier". They look about the same...but are not. Ziti is sometimes aka "broken noodles" as well.

brewmonkey
07-15-2004, 19:34
Originally posted by Gypsy
Actually brew, there is mostacciolli and there is ziti. Mostaccioli is aka Penne which is larger than Ziti which is a bit "skinnier". They look about the same...but are not. Ziti is sometimes aka "broken noodles" as well.

I was referring to GH's post where he mentions Penne.