PDA

View Full Version : Looking for NG SF guys in the Front Range willing to discuss their experience

furrymurry
07-31-2009, 15:26
I'm a 3rd year law student at Georgetown strongly considering a move to SOF after graduation. Right now I'm pretty heavily leaning toward getting an 18-xray contract (or whatever the Guard equivalent is) with the 19th Group. I'm living in Golden this summer, and if there are any SF guys in the Front Range who would be willing to discuss their experience, give me guidance, and offer advice I would greatly appreciate it. I've read a lot, both on here and from the likes of Dick Couch, but I've gotten as much from those sources as I hope to.
Thanks.
P.S. I have already talked to the recruiter out here, but first hand knowledge is what I'm looking for at this point.

The Reaper
07-31-2009, 18:40
How much searching and reading have you done to help yourself, before asking for personal assistance?

BTW, you do not need an 18 contract to move to SOF.

TR

TOMAHAWK9521
07-31-2009, 23:41
Was said recruiter a COARNG rep or from HQ/5/19? Either way, did he put you in touch with the REC guys for 5/19? If not, I can give you the POCs.

furrymurry
08-02-2009, 22:36
Reaper - I've done quite a bit, including talking to an active operator from out east who was very helpful. I've read books, lurked on this site, etc. I'm just at the point where talking to someone one-on-one would be very helpful, to get a realistic feel for their experience. I'm graduating with a law degree from a top tier law school in May (with the requisite debt), enlisting in the Army is a big move, and while I'm fairly certain SF is where I want to be, I don't feel like I can ever have too much information.

Tomahawk - PM inbound.

Justinmd
08-03-2009, 00:06
Just come on down to the Rec (SWTD) in Ft Collins for a drill weekend and we'll make sure you have a fun learning experience.

Bring a Ruck!

TheSiatonist
08-03-2009, 01:56
Just come on down to the Rec (SWTD) in Ft Collins for a drill weekend and we'll make sure you have a fun learning experience.

Bring a Ruck!

Newbie here.

Just out of curiousity (and I'm not sure you are being sarcastic or not), but can civilians really do that over there? (join a drill weekend, I mean).

Thanks.

Justinmd
08-04-2009, 00:01
Civilians don't drill, but from time to time the cadre have allowed guys to observe or participate in a little jog or walk.

All that I have seen, are exceptional in their poor performance compared to the regular students, and I haven't seen any return.