PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dryer Broken???

Buffalobob
07-25-2009, 07:01
If your hair dryer is broken and the phone rings just as you get out of the shower and it is the team sergeant saying to report to isolation you will not want to go into isolation with your hair all ratty, frizzled and with split ends, so what will you do?

Just grab up your elk rifle and a few bullets and head to the rifle range. A couple of shots with 103 grains of Hodgdens US869 will blow enough gas out of the brake and back down the tube to fluff up your hair in no time at all.

So far the Surgeon General has not issued an warning about breathing nitrocellulose smoke so it is probably OK to inhale as much as you want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yad9iW5GyWI

Peregrino
07-25-2009, 22:56
Nice to see the drainage pipe to protect other shooters from muzzle brake "blast". Does it do anything to attenuate sound? If so it would be handy in my back yard for the occasional chronograph test. I know the neighbors would appreciate it. Looks like a quality range setup. Haven't seen anything comparable around here.

Buffalobob
07-26-2009, 05:37
The tubes do a very good job of protecting the other shooters from braked rifles such as mine. The tubes came originally with some waffle foam liner such as you might see in a gun case but it is mostly gone from wear and tear of the repeated muzzle blasts.

A couple of downsides of the tubes-

1. There is a lot of particles that come back at you and eye glasses alone do not keep the fine dust particles from getting into your eyes every once in a while if you are shooting a brake.

2. There have been reports of homemade tubes collecting unburned powder granules and suddenly flaming up.

3. The placement of the tube on the bench is problematic in that I need more room to set up the front rest than the tube allows.

4. The tubes change the frequency of the noise into a low frequency "boom" than a high frequency "crack".

But if you have neighbors and wish to reduce noise this will probably cut it down by about 30-40%. A person standing 30 feet away will still near ear protection being as I have tried to see if I needed muffs when someone else was shooting.

The tubes work wonders on a 22 rifle noise.

There are some really bad rifle shots in the world and the tubes bear the evidence of being used by those people.

BryanK
07-27-2009, 05:44
We have a range we qual at (M-16) that has these tubes as to not disturb the neighbors. The liner has been eroded to the point of uselessness though. They also have these long wooden contraptions with water running down the front end to contain the excess powder, sound, and lead :rolleyes:. Hell of a way to shoot an alternate C course though. :D

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-27-2009, 09:00
That contraption may work better if it is moved to out in front of the barrel end. Say begin it one or two inches beyond the barre end.
Then it would be more likely to catch the blast out of the barrel. Uhh I don't know, I've not played with one of these, but may have too.l

The Reaper
07-27-2009, 09:43
That contraption may work better if it is moved to out in front of the barrel end. Say begin it one or two inches beyond the barre end.
Then it would be more likely to catch the blast out of the barrel.

Not with a muzzle brake.

TR

Blitzzz (RIP)
07-27-2009, 11:45
I don't guess I;m understanding what this device is about. Decrease noise or control muzzle flash, Or both. Looks like it's being used in different places so there must be something to it. looks like I'll still have to mess with it, as is my nature.

what are the desired results? Dave
Added

; I just reread Bob's post. so it's a noise thing.
I know what you mean about muzzle breaks,'cause I have a J.P. Enterprises Eliminator on my 8mm and there is no recoil but all the crap get blown back hard. wear glasses.

The Reaper
07-27-2009, 11:53
I don't guess I;m understanding what this device is about. Decrease noise or control muzzle flash, Or both.

what are the desired results? Dave

Neither.

The muzzle brake will generally have more flash and more blast. It is intended to reduce felt recoil by redirecting exhaust gases to the sides and rear. A flash suppressor reduces flash, and a sound suppressor reduces noise.

If you put the muzzle outside the blast chamber, the purpose of the device (pipe) is defeated and the person to your left or right still gets blasted.

TR

english kanigit
08-29-2009, 18:35
For what it's worth I have seen similar setups made of old tires that had been unitized as a stack. While I have no direct experience with them I would imagine them to be more durable than foam lined tubes.

Also there's more there to fuel a fire...

Ek

TF Kilo
09-13-2009, 22:20
Truck tire muzzle blast protection system.. novel idea :)

Stagger the tires with a 6" drop on the shooter side using semi truck tires, 6-8 of them? That way you have baffles (tire sidewalls) for some noise deadening as well as the elevation offset to help with directing smoke forward away from the shooter.

Might see if the local range would be interested with the idea.