PDA

View Full Version : GSW "first responder" guidance

HowardCohodas
07-21-2009, 15:04
As an instructor, I thought it prudent to get some first responder training. I am taking a First Medical Responder course. GSW was not covered to my satisfaction in spite of the fact that all my classmates are LEOs.

I have also read the material from the TCCC (Tactical Combat Casualty Care) curriculum.

One example that stands out is the difference in recommended use of a tourniquet. Wartime has always been the initiator of dramatic changes in technologies and protocol especially with respect to first responder care.

What should a firearms instructor know and what is best first responder practice in tending to a GSW. Is there a good commercial kit that anyone would recommend for me to carry?

Thanks in advance for your help.

HowardCohodas
07-21-2009, 15:42
I just came across this link. :o Dr. Sydney Vail: Personal Emergency Medical Pack (http://www.policeone.com/training/videos/1813046-Dr-Sydney-Vail-Personal-Emergency-Medical-Pack/)

Red Flag 1
07-21-2009, 17:45
I just came across this link. :o Dr. Sydney Vail: Personal Emergency Medical Pack (http://www.policeone.com/training/videos/1813046-Dr-Sydney-Vail-Personal-Emergency-Medical-Pack/)

And your search on this site............?:lifter

RF 1

Richard
07-21-2009, 17:59
Go to the SEARCH button (between the CALENDAR and FAQ buttons at the top of the screen), type in GSW, left click on the Show Posts bubble and GO button - and see what links appear. Remember - the SEARCH function is one of your best friends on this web-site. ;)

Good luck.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

HowardCohodas
07-21-2009, 18:22
Boys, I'm just a guest here so I'll avoid disrespectful retorts.

I did use the search function, here and elsewhere. I'm actually pretty good at it as I was, in a past life, a manager at a large company research center. As I was not satisfied with what I found, I posted my question along with the background to avoid some of this. Oh well.

Although I did admit to being embarrassed about not finding Dr. Vail's video, I was perhaps unjustly self-critical. In point of fact I found it accidentally while being on PoliceOne.com for another reason.

Now, if I have missed some pearl of wisdom in my search here that would assist me, please point it out so that I can issue another mia culpa.

Richard
07-21-2009, 18:29
Now, if I have missed some pearl of wisdom in my search here that would assist me, please point it out...

No mea culpas necessary here - however - prefacing a message with a summary of your previous search results might be of worth - ;) - as is looking at the bios of those participating in a particular thread and PMing them to personally seek their input - there is as much back room discussion that goes on amongst the diverse members of this forum as there is publicly. FWIW - and YMMV. ;)

HowardCohodas
07-21-2009, 18:57
No mea culpas necessary here - however - prefacing a message with a summary of your previous search results might be of worth - ;) - as is looking at the bios of those participating in a particular thread and PMing them to personally seek their input - there is as much back room discussion that goes on amongst the diverse members of this forum as there is publicly. FWIW - and YMMV. ;)

In spite of all the reading I did on this forum before I was permitted to post, the house culture is not always obvious. I'm still on the steep part of the learning curve.

My preference is to have public discussions on topics such as this in the hopes more will benefit than I. I'll work on getting into the flow.

swatsurgeon
07-22-2009, 21:48
In terms of preparedness:
there are people out there that teach everything from the ridiculous to the practical...what most fail to teach is that anything done in the field is simply a stop-gap to buy time to get to the best hemostatic agent that is commercially available.......the trauma surgeon. That is not my ego talking, it is the reality of the specialty that only in the operating room or trauma resuscitation area can a person with surgical skills definitively repair most penetrating trauma.

In terms of equipment: TO STOP THE BLEEDING!!!
there are few things really necessary.
1) A tourniquet that reliably stops the flow of arterial blood or acts as a true pressure dressing, not just a snug wrap that allowscontinued significant bleeding. My preference is the SWAT-T...go to their website and look at the case that is posted.
2) hemostatic dressing. my personal choice is quik clot combat gauze and having a few of their 25 gram "tea-bags" around. Thishas been discussed in other posts.
3) 3 or 4 inch 14 or 16 gauge decompression needles for tension PTX
4) saline in any form you can store it (respiratory therapy 'bullets/squirts" that contain 5 or 10ml of saline
5) bandaids, all sizes
6) 4x4 gauze pads
7) a SAM splint...versatile uses
8) mask for rescue breathing
that's the majority of what you need to care for the acutely injured.
The training to use all of this is mandatory.......also having closest EMS agency on speed dial or helicopter support if appropriate. Meet the local EMS people and arrange a tour of your facility so that if called they know what to expect.

Good luck

The Reaper
07-23-2009, 07:51
Don't pack anything you are not trained and ready to use.

TR

HowardCohodas
07-23-2009, 08:29
Don't pack anything you are not trained and ready to use.

TR

yea verily

HowardCohodas
07-24-2009, 16:22
I'm thinking of either assembling the items on SwatSurgeon's list and shrink wrapping to include in my range bag or getting one of these ResQ-Pak (http://resq-pak.com/products.php#3).

Any thoughts?