PDA

View Full Version : 18X Material? Or maybe a squid?

charlietwo
07-18-2009, 23:11
Pretty impressive. Always nice to see American kids achieving... as rare as that seems to have become. :lifter

Toby Sunderland declared Thursday "Zac Day" in honor of his older brother -- and that it was.

Hundreds of admirers could not wait for Zac Sunderland, 17, to guide his 36-foot vessel into Marina del Rey on Thursday morning, completing a 13-month quest to become the youngest person to sail around the world alone...

...And he did this without major sponsorship on an older Islander sailboat named Intrepid, as one of seven Sunderland children who live in a modest Thousand Oaks home.

"I think society puts young people in a box -- people 15, 16, 17 -- and does not expect them to do much but go to high school and play football and stuff like that," Sunderland said. "This just shows they can do a lot more with some strong ambition and desire. My [advice] is to get out there and do your thing with all you got."...

...Laurence and Marianne Sunderland endured a lifetime supply of anxious moments, which included the time Zac was approached in the Indian Ocean by a mysterious-looking vessel that seemed sure to harbor pirates.

Zac used his satellite phone to call home, frantically, during his family's Sunday dinner. He was instructed by Laurence to load his pistol and "shoot to kill" if necessary.

Full story here-http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-zac-sunderland17-2009jul17,0,3460856.story

tmax1014
07-19-2009, 06:46
That is very impressive! I have never been at sea, but I can only imagine how that would have been at 16. I think there is a good point made about young teens that don't fit into the "boxes" that high school makes for them. I know I was this way. In high school, I refinished gun stocks for fun and hung out with my dad and his old-timer friends!

Some people are out on the edges of the bell curve of maturity, and this kid seems to be one of them. Congrats to him on his hard work and achievement! :lifter