PDA

View Full Version : Schools en route to group or not.

petekalo
07-17-2009, 16:28
Hello all, thanks from all of us here in the course for the guidance up to this point. As a few of us begin to come to the end of our great time in the SWCS, we have a few questions for the old guys and those currently in Group. A few of us Alphas (hell anyone for this matter) were not Infantry prior to coming to the course and we were wondering if we should attend Ranger School en-route, once we get there, or even worry about it at all. Not to sure what the calender is looking like over in group quite yet, but we can make a pretty good guess. Thanks in advance for the advice.

The Reaper
07-17-2009, 17:04
Hello all, thanks from all of us here in the course for the guidance up to this point. As a few of us begin to come to the end of our great time in the SWCS, we have a few questions for the old guys and those currently in Group. A few of us Alphas (hell anyone for this matter) were not Infantry prior to coming to the course and we were wondering if we should attend Ranger School en-route, once we get there, or even worry about it at all. Not to sure what the calender is looking like over in group quite yet, but we can make a pretty good guess. Thanks in advance for the advice.

If the clock will be running on your team time, I would not do it.

TR

Razor
07-17-2009, 19:05
Concur. You've probably already learned the most important lessons taught in Ranger School--your strengths and weaknesses as a leader, and your ability to perform under pressure. The SUT taught there is just the mechanism employed to convey the actual lessons, and would quickly be replaced by your team IADs and SOPs.

That said, if you're headed to an MFF/Dive team, it may be helpful to show up with those qualifications if you have the chance to attend either of those courses en route.

Basenshukai
07-17-2009, 21:56

Speak to your future battalion commander. You should have a pretty good idea what group you'll be going to, at least. If you also know who your future battalion commander will be, speak to him on this matter. The Ranger Course is a great leadership course. I will be taking an SF company in about a year and I really hope all of my detachment commanders are Ranger qualified. When I was a detachment commander, it was my operations sergeant's policy that all of the detachment members be Ranger qualified and he had some great reasons for it - I concurred with them. The Lancero Course was optional but highly encouraged.

If you are concerned about your team time, again, speak to your gaining unit commander about it. Good luck with your future endeavors.