PDA

View Full Version : West Point Prep

Dragbag036
07-17-2009, 10:22
Today the frau and I dropped our son off at R-Day at Fort Monmouth, NJ. I was proud to see all the young wanna be Army soldiers in their black and white in this time in our Countries Proud history. His dream is to one day be one of us, "The Quiet Professionals". He has been around you types since he was 7 years old and many of my peers have watched him grow and even given the occasional word of wisdom when I could not be there. I sent him off with a KA-BAR, (which he could not keep) and a coin, so he could remember his goal, and the sacrifices of men like you. Lastly as I watched the young NCO's and Cadet Cadre march them away into a back parking lot, I crept around to see how he would take his first initiation. I was proud to see him move with enthusiasm as orders were barked and they were "smoked" to the tune of blah blah, my Army, blah blah prepster. May God bless all of the QP's my son has come across, and all those who he may encounter as he starts his journey to become "Army Strong" and eventually in many years to come, a "Quiet Professional"

Pete
07-17-2009, 10:38
Congrats to you and your son.

Proud day on the road to becoming a man.

Prouder start on his way to becoming one of us.

SF_BHT
07-17-2009, 11:16
Congrads.......
Good Luck to your Son....

Team Sergeant
07-17-2009, 11:51
Another Warrior in training, great news!

Razor
07-17-2009, 12:35
Great job, dad. Here's wishing him strength, determination and maybe a pinch or two of luck when he needs it.

echoes
07-17-2009, 12:45
Today the frau and I dropped our son off at R-Day at Fort Monmouth, NJ. I was proud to see all the young wanna be Army soldiers in their black and white in this time in our Countries Proud history. His dream is to one day be one of us, "The Quiet Professionals". He has been around you types since he was 7 years old and many of my peers have watched him grow and even given the occasional word of wisdom when I could not be there. I sent him off with a KA-BAR, (which he could not keep) and a coin, so he could remember his goal, and the sacrifices of men like you. Lastly as I watched the young NCO's and Cadet Cadre march them away into a back parking lot, I crept around to see how he would take his first initiation. I was proud to see him move with enthusiasm as orders were barked and they were "smoked" to the tune of blah blah, my Army, blah blah prepster. May God bless all of the QP's my son has come across, and all those who he may encounter as he starts his journey to become "Army Strong" and eventually in many years to come, a "Quiet Professional"

Congratulations Sir!:lifter

How very proud you must be to have raised such a fine future warrior!

Thank you for your service!

Holly

GANGSTER
07-17-2009, 12:57
Congratulations on your son's acceptance to the USMA prep school. My son begins his 3rd year at WP this fall and the whole experience has been very rewarding for him and all our family. At the moment he is doing his Cadet Troop Leadership training (CTLT) with a team at 7th SF Group. Needless to say he's enjoying being associated with professionals and likes seeing how the 'Team' works to get the job done. He also has grew up having QPs around now I'm very proud he's in close company of heroes.
De Oppresso Liber!

echoes
07-17-2009, 13:17
Congratulations on your son's acceptance to the USMA prep school. My son begins his 3rd year at WP this fall and the whole experience has been very rewarding for him and all our family. At the moment he is doing his Cadet Troop Leadership training (CTLT) with a team at 7th SF Group. Needless to say he's enjoying being associated with professionals and likes seeing how the 'Team' works to get the job done. He also has grew up having QPs around now I'm very proud he's in close company of heroes.
De Oppresso Liber!

Sir,

And also how very proud you must be of your son, a future warrior indeed!!!:lifter

Thanks you Sir, for your service!

Holly

JJ_BPK
07-17-2009, 14:13
Congratulations to your son, your family, & to the proud Pop-Pop..

Aequitas
07-17-2009, 15:16
De Oppresso Liber!

If you want me to check in on him over here I'm in 7th and could swing by if I have time before heading to the Stan! Congrats on the good kid! I went there for 3yrs, but that's a story for another day...

Dragbag036
07-18-2009, 13:52
The wife and I made it home from dropping off our new soldier in training. We were proud to watch the swearing in ceremony that evening. Met some interesting people that day whose sons were also Cadet Candidates. CSM Savusa (Command Sergeant Major for the United States Pacific Command (USPACOM) headquartered at Camp Smith in Honolulu), and CSM Flowers (4th BCT (508 PIR). The wife is taking it a bit hard, but she will be fine....she still has the dog. I will send my son all your comments the first chance he has to receive mail, and thank you all once again.

Gangster, congrats to your son in his 3rd year, and I'm positive that you are very proud.

"Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season.
It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year.
It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow.
Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime." ~ W.E.B. Du Bois

TXSWAT
07-19-2009, 20:11
Congatulations and good luck to your son! I just had my 20th reunion last year ( USMA 88). It was a great experience and brought back awesome memories. My time there was an experience I will cherish forever and never forget.

Razor
07-20-2009, 10:21
I just had my 20th reunion last year ( USMA 88).

So, what was it like dodging dinosaurs on the Plain during Brigade reviews, Old Man? :p

mcarey
07-20-2009, 10:50
Congrats to your son and you all for raising a young man of character.

My daughter went to prep and graduated this summer from USMA. She is sweating it out in BOLCII at Fort Sill right now.

Make sure you go to the parents weekends (prep & plebe years) it was informative and a pleasure to see the classrooms and excellent facilities / meet the staff.

If your son is like my daughter, then you can expect a few down days when they get tired of the regular Army / Westpoint experieince (whining phone call home). That said my daughter appreciates it now that she is done with that chapter of life.

All the best to you, your wife and your son,
Mark

greenberetTFS
07-20-2009, 12:26
Congrats and good luck.........:D

Big Teddy :munchin

f50lrrp
07-20-2009, 13:57
I really wanted to attend West Point. Growing up I used to watch the "long Gray Line" on TV every time that I could.

My dad was a Major assigned to the 18th Infantry in 1962-1963 and invited a WP Cadet home for the 4th of July. #LT McCloud was doing his summer training with my dad's outfit and I idolized him, The 4th of July celebration went very, very well in my eyes.

Sometime later the 18th Infantry deployed to Berlin to test the 4 powers access in occupied Germany. Colonel Johns took the entire Battle Group (including Cadet McCloud) through the Russians and into West Berlin. It garnered the young cadet an Army Expidetionary Medal.

Cadet McCloud went on to retire as a Colonel.

Stras
07-20-2009, 17:34
Dragbag,

Congratulations to you, your wife, and your son on his accomplishment. He's taken the first big step of many that will lay before him in his life.

Damn, we're old.... it was just a few years ago that the kid's band was playing at the Garden of Eden....

Stras

Dragbag036
07-20-2009, 18:40
Dragbag,

Congratulations to you, your wife, and your son on his accomplishment. He's taken the first big step of many that will lay before him in his life.

Damn, we're old.... it was just a few years ago that the kid's band was playing at the Garden of Eden....

Stras

No kidding Bro,

That's the oldest that was playing in the band. He is in Ohio going to nursing school (I can milk anything with teats). He actually got an offer to tour in a Jazz band with Curtis Blow on a cruise ship. Some talent scout happen to hear him jammin out on his own at the college music room.

Thanks a bunch Bro and hope all is well with you and yours. Now the wife has to sit in an empty house in MD on her own. I'm going down to San An to do a Trauma rotation for a few days among many other trips. I actually already put my Hawg away...too busy. Give me a call one of these days I'll pm my number

gagners
07-21-2009, 07:01
Congrats Drag...

Another young man volunteering to serve his country even in a time of war. That speaks volumes to his character. You should be very, very proud.

Dragbag036
11-08-2010, 23:48
The west Point Boxing Team did very well against the Air Force Academy this past weekend. The final score for 10 fights was Army 7 Air Force 3. The Football team may have been defeated but we can still fight. My plebe son was in his first collegiate fight and won. I thank those that allow kids of QP's the opportunity to train and spar at their gyms over the years. The frau could hardly stand it before the fight started, but the German in her came out once that bell rang and she saw her baby as a man.:munchin

Green Light
11-09-2010, 01:55
Now THAT'S warrior spirit! You could see it in his eyes. Congrats, Dad. You raised him well.

(BTW, that wingnut looked thoroughly wipped!) :D

rdret1
11-09-2010, 02:27
Congrats DB.

lksteve
11-09-2010, 08:12
(BTW, that wingnut looked thoroughly wipped!) He's wondering if it's too late to take up chess...

Razor
11-09-2010, 10:47
USMA rah-rah! They held the bouts at Ike? Is the gym still being renovated?

Dragbag036
11-09-2010, 19:08
USMA rah-rah! They held the bouts at Ike? Is the gym still being renovated?

It is completed. It is actually set up pretty well. They have the ability to have full Theatre shows and do wrestling and boxing with center ring below. Very well set up.

mcarey
11-10-2010, 16:02
DB - Awesome to see a young warrior in training. I know you and your frau are proud...with good reason. All the best to him on his journey.

Dragbag036
11-10-2010, 19:09
Thanks Brothers for all the nice words for the young one. I relayed all your thoughts to him and he is truly honored to be thought of in such high regards by QP's. He is in MA tonight for a Veterans Day Bout. I told him we will pray that God has favor on his side, because the other guy is probably doing the same thing. :lifter

Ambush Master
11-10-2010, 19:27
Congatulations and good luck to your son! I just had my 20th reunion last year ( USMA 88). It was a great experience and brought back awesome memories. My time there was an experience I will cherish forever and never forget.

So, what was it like dodging dinosaurs on the Plain during Brigade reviews, Old Man? :p

I would have been in the Class of '72!!:D

Razor
11-10-2010, 23:06
I would have been in the Class of '72!!:D

Like I said... :p

Hey, I see that I'm still young enough to have my class crest hanging up at Ike. :lifter