PDA

View Full Version : Trivia

QRQ 30
07-07-2004, 10:25
What was the peculiar property of the HT-1 which made it classifiied?

Besides the fact that it sucked?

CommoGeek
07-07-2004, 12:19
Originally posted by QRQ 30
What was the peculiar property of the HT-1 which made it classifiied?

Besides the fact that it sucked?

DISCLAIMER: I had to Google for this, so it may be inaccurate.

One of two things that I could see:

1) The radios were built for the "Office of Public Safety" which was a front for the CIA. http://www.pacificsites.com/~brooke/VHR.shtml

2) There was a "destruct" feature in the radio that enabled the user to hit a button and the PTT key to blow a fuse on the ircuit board and render the radio inoperable?

QRQ 30
07-07-2004, 18:56
Sorry Geek, no cigar. I tried to Google it werte unique in that they were VHF - AM radios. Most of opur radios in that band were FM. Mr. Charles had no means of monitoring traffic which was the reason for the red button. Not to destroy it but to make it inoperable. He couldn't talk to agents with the HT-1 even if the radio were captured -- if the "fry" button were activated.

I loszt a beer the first time someone pulled this one on me but have won many drinks since.:boohoo

CommoGeek
07-08-2004, 07:19
QRQ,

I gave it a shot. HT-1's and the like were a little before my time so I had to use my Google crutch. I'm interested in the answer if no one else wants to play.

QRQ 30
07-08-2004, 07:56
Originally posted by CommoGeek
QRQ,

I gave it a shot. HT-1's and the like were a little before my time so I had to use my Google crutch. I'm interested in the answer if no one else wants to play.

Its an AM radio operating in the VHF band.

CommoGeek
07-08-2004, 08:20
I completely overlooked that. Thank you.