PDA

View Full Version : Foot Amputation

Buffalobob
07-15-2009, 16:21
Since I retired from being a fulltime treehugger, I go out to the Rockies Mountains each Fall and spend 6-8 weeks camping in a tent and hunting antelope, deer, elk and bears. Also, being as I actually spent some time in the military and did my best to preserve the constitution and the freedoms guaranteed therein, I naturally am generally deprived of those freedoms by the various forms of government that exists. First I am not allowed to vote for the criminal and liar of my choice for congress person and senator and I am not allowed a handgun because I might take offense to the dishonesty of the politicians that other people elect.

Well finally a couple of DC citizens got tired of waiting for the cowardly NRA to do anything and they sued the DC gov’t about the second amendment. After several years of trial and tribulation, they finally won and the whiny, do nothing NRA took credit. Just goes to show that the difference between the NRA and the DC gov’t is exactly Zip. Both run their mouth a lot about the constitution and complain full time but don’t actually do much. Nonetheless, it allowed me to register 8-10 illegal rifles and pistols that I had. It also allowed me to buy a new pistol.

So, what I needed was a pistol to protect me from being eaten by bears while sleeping in my tent at night while out west hunting. I have tried a shotgun but it is just really too long and cumbersome. So now that I could legally buy a pistol without the FBI and CIA and NSC monitoring my emails and cell phone calls, I set about determining the parameters that needed to be considered in the selection of a pistol. Having spent some time around pistols in my earlier years I pretty well understood that I was a wimpy wumpus who could not handle any kind of recoil and manage to actually hit something. Perusing the regulations on shooting bears it came to my attention that in the lower 48 states the grizzly bear is protected as an endangered species and it is illegal to shoot them. Being as the only time I would use the pistol would be at night when in my tent; the accuracy of the shot would not be critical, as the muzzle could just be placed right on the object to be shot and then the trigger pulled. So after reviewing the pistols available I came down to the Desert Eagle 50AE and the 460 S&W XVR. While the DE was really appealing and has a good reputation from all the shooting Laura Croft has done with it, I was somewhat concerned with the low muzzle velocity. When one is panic stricken one needs something simple like a good ole double action revolver. You just pull the trigger and it goes bang. So I went and got me a 460 XVR. I was not worried much about the fact that it is compensated being as my ear drums were ruptured a couple of times in RVN and any further damage would be minimal. There is a picture of it with some cartridges to allow a good reference. Left to right—17 Rem. Hornady 460 200 grain and 308 Win with 175 SMK.

The plan goes something like this. If attacked in my tent at night by the common black bear just place the muzzle on the bears head and pull trigger and it will blow his head off. If attacked by an endangered and protected grizzly bear and being dragged out of tent by foot, place muzzle on shin bone and pull trigger blowing foot off and use handy orange rope as a tourniquet to stop the bleeding of the amputated foot. One would hope a grizzly bear would be satisfied with just one foot as it will be hard to reach medical aid if he is really hungry and wants another foot to eat.

Richard
07-15-2009, 17:19
1 - Always shoot the damn bear. ;)

2 - I'm not a big S&W fan - I love my Ruger 7.5" barrelled Super Blackhawk .44Mag for such ill tempered varmints - sturdy and > reliable.

3 - Use the orange rope to hang the anti-2nd Amendment Congresscritter who actually got elected. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

swpa19
07-16-2009, 06:09
Left to right—17 Rem.

Didnt know anyone still shot the .17 Rem. Thats a blast from the past.

Sten
07-16-2009, 06:22
I would rather be judged by 12 then eaten by one. :D

Buffalobob
07-16-2009, 15:52
The 17 Rem is a wonderful 300 yard varmint and small game cartridge. I have always enjoyed reloading it but you will pinch your fingers a lot when seating the bullets.

swpa19
07-16-2009, 16:03
BOB:

In the mid 70s I custom built a "far reaching" groundhog gun, that almost mirrored your .17's performance. Mine was a 220 Swift. It was on a 700BDL/LH action, Douglas "Varminteer" heavy barrel, John J Unertl 15X Scope (when they were still being manufactured in the Pittsburgh area), Canjar trigger and Reinhart Fajen Target Stock.

It got sold with a truck load of other weapons when I developed that "Italian" Disease-mafundsalow.

Wish I had a third of them now.