PDA

View Full Version : 18x prospect

Qr25
07-14-2009, 23:27
I currently have a spot for 18x, though at MEPS I got stop at the physical because my recruiter thought I could get by with 22 stitches on my leg without the medical record for it. Long story short I have to resubmit my application and the recruiters are already priming me up for no 18x with "there might not be 18x spots available when we re-apply you." They are trying to push me to Rangers and/or saying to go 11b. They are telling me that I have no prior military service and would probably end up in infantry anyways and not get the a bonus.

My question is are these legitimate claims or are they just trying to get me to sign to anything since after i leave its all the same to them. Should i just go with something else and work my way to SF/Rangers?

Thank you for your time and service to out great country.

Scimitar
07-15-2009, 01:57
They may not be allowing Med Waivers for 18X contracts, those stitches may require a med waiver; not sure about this though.

The recruiter’s agenda is to get you in; they figure that if you wait for the stitches to heal up, you may not come back at all. This is common, many enlist as an emotional decision and if they are given time to wait, they or someone else talks them out of it; so they try to prep you for another MOS.

Who cares about the why, the reality is is that there are plenty of 18X contracts period; that I am sure of.

Call their bluff man. It may just have to wait for those stitches to get out. To save you time I'd advise your recruiter that you are taking nothing but 18X otherwise you're not enlisting. If in fact he has to wait for those stitches to come out then they won’t send you till they are.

Questions?

HTH

Scimitar

SF_BHT
07-15-2009, 06:55
They may not be allowing Med Waivers for 18X contracts, those stitches may require a med waiver; not sure about this though.

The recruiter’s agenda is to get you in; they figure that if you wait for the stitches to heal up, you may not come back at all. This is common, many enlist as an emotional decision and if they are given time to wait, they or someone else talks them out of it; so they try to prep you for another MOS.

Who cares about the why, the reality is is that there are plenty of 18X contracts period; that I am sure of.

Call their bluff man. It may just have to wait for those stitches to get out. To save you time I'd advise your recruiter that you are taking nothing but 18X otherwise you're not enlisting. If in fact he has to wait for those stitches to come out then they won’t send you till they are.

Questions?

HTH

Scimitar

Scimitar is right on. You have to decide if the 18X is what you want and now is when you want it. Extra training is always helpful and having 11B and or Ranger Bn experience never hurts as long as you do not let them Brainwash you.

Bottom line is you have to decide how much you want it and when. Things change and you could change also. Recruiters are there to get bodies in the military and keep higher off their back.

Good luck...

Mizzou
07-15-2009, 08:51
They fed me the same line at MEPS. "No 18X slots available, here's an 11B slot..." Long story short I told them thanks for trying and started to leave. I didn't make it ten feet before a slot opened up.

If you are medically disqualified, that's one thing. But don't believe for an instant that they can't get you a slot if you're qualified.

Utah Bob
07-15-2009, 09:01
....many enlist as an emotional decision and if they are given time to wait, they or someone else talks them out of it.....
That's why when you go to enlist in La Legion they have you come back in 24 hours.
(Maybe to sober up?);)

Qr25
07-15-2009, 12:33
Scimitar- The stitches are from over a year ago and I don't know if that calls for a waiver or not, but they are 100% healed.

I will definitely call they bluff if they say they are no 18x spots at MEPS ask to be checked out - thanks Mizzou for that idea.

I have no problem going 11B to SF if that is the only way, but with 18x and the fact that I am almost 30 in the best shape now I feel it would be my best shot getting threw.

Thanks for your help everyone.

The Reaper
07-15-2009, 12:39
I would use the Search button, maybe look for "recruiter" and see what we have advised others in your position.

TR

Scimitar
07-15-2009, 12:39
OK,

So by stitches you mean a scare, in my world stitches means you still have those little black cotton type looking stuff in your skin.

Not knocking you here at all, but let me guess what happened. The recruiter took you into a little room and asked you all the med questions and then told what to say and what not to say at MEPS....yes?

This is rampant thruout USAREC and not always in your best interest. Yes I do believe sometimes you have to work 'with' the system, but it sounds like your recruiter left stuff off you med list that the med check was going to obviously pick-up on just to save himself some paperwork.

Yes?

S

Qr25
07-15-2009, 13:26
TR - I tried a search and found only one post that was close about an MRI which was useful. If this has already been answered I apologize for the repost.

Scimitar- A scar is what I meant, sorry for the confusion. It is marked on my application though the recruiter said that I did not need the records since it was healed. You are correct about the little room situation where he tried to sway me to omit information that would make the process easier.

Scimitar
07-15-2009, 14:35
no problems,

OK, it just sounds like your recruiter thought no records where needed and the doc felt otherwise, that's not uncommon, are there any other concerns with your enlistment. i.e. are there any other requirments that you don't meet; need a waiver for; are border line.

It's not uncommon for you to not actually qualify for an 18X contract but they push you thru anyway, in hopes that when it comes to the crunch you'll take a lesser contract on the day. You see what I'm getting at.

Common disquals are, Borderline or over eyesite, significant med history, Age, med Waiver requirement, Security Clearence Issues; ASVAB GT score under 110, just to name a few.

Anything like that?

S

Qr25
07-15-2009, 15:04
no problems,

OK, it just sounds like your recruiter thought no records where needed and the doc felt otherwise, that's not uncommon, are there any other concerns with your enlistment. i.e. are there any other requirments that you don't meet; need a waiver for; are border line.

It's not uncommon for you to not actually qualify for an 18X contract but they push you thru anyway, in hopes that when it comes to the crunch you'll take a lesser contract on the day. You see what I'm getting at.

Common disquals are, Borderline or over eyesite, significant med history, Age, med Waiver requirement, Security Clearence Issues; ASVAB GT score under 110, just to name a few.

Anything like that?

S

Only one I can think of that might be a problem is my eyesight. I wear -3.00 contacts I'm not sure what the conversion is as to relate to 20/100 in one eye and 20/70 in the other which I saw somewhere that was the cut off.

Scimitar
07-15-2009, 17:47
Only one I can think of that might be a problem is my eyesight. I wear -3.00 contacts I'm not sure what the conversion is as to relate to 20/100 in one eye and 20/70 in the other which I saw somewhere that was the cut off.

Pretty sure that's fine. Check the Specific 'Spec Op Med Regs' in AR 40-501 for the limits. Be warned MEPS is not a professional eye test and may measure you worst then you are. If you are boarder line take your Optometrist test with you.

If they say "no son your eyes ain’t good enough", pull the line and paragraph of the reg and your Opt test and say you want a consult. They will pay to send you to their Optometrist. I had a guy all ready to go 18X, didn't do this when I told him to, was DXed for his eye sight and took an 11B contract. His eye site was with-in Regs.

Otherwise, I don't think you need to be converned about any of what has happened, just advise your recruiter nively that you will take 18X of a bus ticket home.

HTH

Scimitar

Qr25
07-15-2009, 19:17
Pretty sure that's fine. Check the Specific 'Spec Op Med Regs' in AR 40-501 for the limits. Be warned MEPS is not a professional eye test and may measure you worst then you are. If you are boarder line take your Optometrist test with you.

If they say "no son your eyes ain’t good enough", pull the line and paragraph of the reg and your Opt test and say you want a consult. They will pay to send you to their Optometrist. I had a guy all ready to go 18X, didn't do this when I told him to, was DXed for his eye sight and took an 11B contract. His eye site was with-in Regs.

Otherwise, I don't think you need to be converned about any of what has happened, just advise your recruiter nively that you will take 18X of a bus ticket home.

HTH

Scimitar

From AR 40-501:
(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses.

As long as it can be fixed with surgery to 20/20 I should be ok from what that says?

Great! I feel very confident going to MEPS this time around. Thank you for your help.

The Reaper
07-15-2009, 20:18
From AR 40-501:
(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses.

As long as it can be fixed with surgery to 20/20 I should be ok from what that says?

Does it say with surgery?

I don't think so. Read more, post less.

TR

chapollin
11-08-2009, 10:33
When I first talk to my recruiter he told he could give the 18x contract this was one month ago I just got my conditional release from the national guard ( I was in the guard for Little more than a year, my currently mos is 13b and I'M PFC ) now my recruiter just told me that the 18X contract is not available anymore and I should enliste with my currently MOS or re class to 21 D ( diver) the only MOS available for prior service and once I got to my unit talk to a SF recruiter, does any one know anything about it ? should I just stay in guard and try to go to SFAS with the guard and then go active ? or should I just listen to the recruiter e go with what they are offering? what will be the fast way to get to selection? thanks

The Reaper
11-08-2009, 11:29
What advice have we given others here in your situation? You really do need to do your own research.

No one here can give you a contract. If the recruiter says that is all he has, you either take it, or refuse and look for another recruiter.

TR

Scimitar
11-08-2009, 13:10
COMMENT DELETED - I defer to TR.