PDA

View Full Version : Best Dive Restauants

Roguish Lawyer
07-06-2004, 19:49
No, not SCUBA.

The best restaurants are dives that no one else knows about.

Fess up.

Where are the diamonds in the rough?

Gypsy
07-06-2004, 20:05
I wish I could remember the name of this place, a tiny (really tiny) Mexican place not far from the old Chicago Stadium in a rather seedy part of town. They only serve soft tacos and burritos, and use the tastiest steak as their meat filling. The only toppings are fresh grated cheese and hot sauce. I'd say the joint is about 12 ft long and maybe 8 feet wide, there are 4 stools for seating if you belly up to the "serving" bar. Best tacos I ever have eaten.

Air.177
07-07-2004, 09:14
There is a small Mexican place called "Benito's" on the North Side of Fort Worth in the Diamond Hill area that has the Best Burritos I have ever had. Carnitas, Barbacoa, Lengua, Good Stuff. The Burritos start with a Tortilla the size of a hubcap, then they spread on refried beans, followed by the meat of your choice, and cheese, homemade green chile sauce, lots of cilantro and onions. Looks like I found where I'm going to lunch today:)

DunbarFC
07-07-2004, 10:34
The Quiet Man Pub in South Boston

Best steak tips I've ever had

brewmonkey
07-07-2004, 11:49
We used to have a little place across from the brewery called Pullmans. Greasy spoon kind of dive but perfect for breakfast in the early am. Especially in the winter when we would get to work at 0400 to mash in. Since the mash sits for up to 1.5 hours without having to be watched we would head over and get some country fried chicken and eggs for breakfast. Nothing like a heart attack on a plate to start the day.

The Reaper
07-07-2004, 12:03
Pullman's WAS a great breakfast place.

Little place over in Weston had some nice chow, great biscuits, too.

TR

brewmonkey
07-07-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by The Reaper
Pullman's WAS a great breakfast place.

Little place over in Weston had some nice chow, great biscuits, too.

TR

They shut it down about 2 years ago after repeated health code violations. Was sad to see it go but someone bought it and got it up to speed and reopened. About 3 weeks after they reopened it burned down.

Bravo1-3
07-07-2004, 13:05
There's this little roadside place out here called "Katies Louisiana Grill". $10 gets you a half rack of ribs, about a 5" square piece of fresh corn bread, a large andouille sausage, a side of baked beans, and a small helping of Jambalaya Red Rice.

Plate Weighs about 3lbs :D, the only people I ever see there are construction workers from a project across the street. It is the definative "dump", but the food is fantastic!

As for breakfast, there's a little place not far from the house that has 3 tables with 4 chairs each. It's built on to the pourch of a house. The owner serves Breakfast and lunch, mostly "To Go". A lot of the Local LEO's eat there, along with the UPS guys. They have a short meneu: 2 eggs (any style), Toast (white/wheat), 5 strips of bacon or 3 pieces of suasage, Large Coffee, to go $5.99

She sells the best biscuits and gravy in the county. I just found the place about a month ago, and eat there at least once a week.

Air.177
07-07-2004, 13:11
Also, In Jacksboro Texas, about an hour northwest of Fort Worth, there is a little place called Herd's hamburgers. Best Burger ever. They don't shape the meat into patties, the just take a large block of frozen hamburger and let it sit toward the back of the griddle. When Someone orders a burger, they carve off a chunk of the slowly thawing meat and cook it while also toasting the buns on the other side of the griddle. Little hole in the wall place, but it has been there since the sixties IIRC.

Jimbo
07-07-2004, 13:19
BBQ: Fat Boy's Pork Palace in Brandywine, WV

Gallo Pinto: Charlie Chaplin's in San Jose, CR

Shwarma: Bahrain House near the souk

Drinks: Dan's Cafe in Adam's Morgan

and that's pretty much all I eat.

Air.177
07-07-2004, 13:33
Hate to keep adding to this thread, but the closer I get to lunch time, the more I am thinking about this topic:rolleyes:

Corrasco's grocery in Balmorrhea Texas makes some great Green Chile Beef Burritoes.

Bill Harsey
07-07-2004, 13:36
Road Kill Cafe, Drain Oregon (on the way to Col. Applegates house)

NousDefionsDoc
07-07-2004, 18:33
Good Time Charlies in San Antone - great CFS and fried mushrooms.

Reaper - there was a BBQ place right outside of Pines that was also an after hours joint. Can't remember the name, but GREAT pulled beef samiches.

The Reaper
07-07-2004, 18:55
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
Good Time Charlies in San Antone - great CFS and fried mushrooms.

Reaper - there was a BBQ place right outside of Pines that was also an after hours joint. Can't remember the name, but GREAT pulled beef samiches.

You lost me there, but what about that place in Lago de Joyoa(?), HO where we ate the fried fish with the eyes still intact on the way out of country?

Pretty good, after three months of MREs.

TR

NousDefionsDoc
07-07-2004, 19:02
Enrique's LOL. I wonder if he's still there, I'd bet he is if he isn't dead.

The Reaper
07-07-2004, 19:16
Can't find Enrique's, but it appears that El Rancho in Santa Rosa de Copan is still there.

Best horse meat I ever had!

TR