PDA

View Full Version : Darrell "Shifty" Powers

BMT (RIP)
07-13-2009, 07:39
We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.

I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.

Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506Th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.

I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket.. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.

Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.

At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.

I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland , into Arnhem ." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.

I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France , and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.

I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.

He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center .

No wall to wall back to back 24x7 news coverage.

No weeping fans on television.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

I got this from another list and thought it worthy of posting.

BMT

BryanK
07-13-2009, 07:49
Thank you for posting this Sir. It's a crying shame that the public eye is so far skewed. Rest in peace Mr. Powers.

Saoirse
07-13-2009, 08:12
Thank you for posting this BMT Sir! I had goosebumps while reading it, a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes.

Rest in Peace, Shifty! Thank you for your heroism and service!

Richard
07-13-2009, 08:25
He'll be honored - and in a much higher way than the pop star crowd ever will - as a faithful citizen and veteran - honored with a military funeral and an American flag presented on behalf of a grateful nation and the rendering of Taps - and to be laid to rest amongst those who truly cared. Don't mourn for Shifty - continue to honor his memory by remembering him and those like him who, when called, exhibit that time-honored sense of duty above oneself to comrades, friends, family, community, and nation - all performed without the audience, the glitz, the $$, the fame...in other words, the trivial. I'm pretty sure SSG Powers would have wanted it that way, too.

RIP, soldier - and "AIR-BORNE!" :lifter

Richard's $.02 :munchin

SF_BHT
07-13-2009, 08:49
Rest in Peace..... You are one of the real Hero's of our nation and will be remembered by all........

ZonieDiver
07-13-2009, 08:56
SSG Powers is a true American hero. He shall be missed.

dennisw
07-13-2009, 09:22
No big event in Staples Center .

And that's not right.

The heroes we choose as a nation provides the greatest insight into our collective character. You have touched on the core problem, the lack of character and the worshipping of celebrities who lack substance. My pastor says the age we live in is the age of invisible heroes. Obviously he is talking about a different war, but the principle is the same. If it were not for the efforts of a few, SSG Powers would be one of those invisible heroes who slips quietly into the night. As it is, his passing will stir up but a ripple. However, I personnaly would rather be remembered by a few with character, then by a crowd of mindless idiots.

Rest in peace SSG Powers, I for one would feel honored to have been in your band of brothers.

Penn
07-13-2009, 10:20
Blue Skies

greenberetTFS
07-13-2009, 10:46
Rest in Peace..... You are one of the real Hero's of our nation and will be remembered by all........

Amen,I say to that...........:( A true warrior......... :) It sounds like he made his "cherry jump" in Normandy,just after getting out of jump school............

Big Teddy

Red Flag 1
07-13-2009, 11:16
Rest In Peace SSG Darrell "Shifty" Powers!!

Thank you for your service!!

Saturation
07-13-2009, 16:04
My small offer in memory of SSG Powers~

Sending peace and comfort to his family and friends
Hoping our collective memories can hold and honor our true heroes
Wishing SSG Powers the eternal knowledge of his impact far and near

Saturation

TOMAHAWK9521
07-13-2009, 20:35
Rest in Peace, Shifty. God Bless and thank you for your service.

JJ_BPK
07-14-2009, 04:46
RIP Shifty, Vaya con Dios..

FMF DOC
07-14-2009, 05:49
A true Hero.... RIP Sir

Dozer523
07-14-2009, 07:01
Do not doubt that SSG Powers will be forever honored and remembered. What he volunteered for and accomplished is memorialized in the world we have today. What the world might have become if Fascism was not confronted is unimaginable for us. Not so for SSG Powers and his comrades.
We get confused in this nation with the meaning of words sometimes. Hero and celebrity are not interchangable. Celebrities like to be referred to as heroes. Yet Heroes never use the word to describe themselves -- reserving Hero only for those who were not as fortunate to survive.
Watch Band of Brothers and say "Incredible and thank you" You will remember it forever. Watch a music video and say "Cool, what's next?"
Do not confuse awesome with entertaining.

Rogue
07-14-2009, 07:16
RIP

swpa19
07-14-2009, 10:25
R.I.P Staff Sergeant Powers.

The heroes we choose as a nation provides the greatest insight into our collective character. You have touched on the core problem, the lack of character and the worshipping of celebrities who lack substance.

"Poor is the nation that has no heroes. Shameful is the one having them....forgets"...............Unknown

"Their ranks are growing thinner now, as they each begin to answer the call.

But we who honor them will never forget their sacrifices, it is our duty to remember, and give our thanks to each one and all".

T. MONO.........2009

Scimitar
07-14-2009, 11:49
You truly earned your rest Sergeant

RIP

S

Goggles Pizano
07-14-2009, 13:38
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti, Amen.
In pace requiescat SSG Powers.
Thank you for your service.

Kingfisher
07-14-2009, 14:17
RIP Shifty. God Bless you for your service.

Dozer523
07-14-2009, 15:38
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDOyAgG_NIs
I think he might have liked this tribute.
The world got a litle smaller.

LongWire
07-14-2009, 19:43
Got this one today as well.

RIP Shifty!!!!!!!!!

gagners
07-15-2009, 13:14
"The characteristic of genuine heroism is its persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world, the heroic cannot be common, nor the common heroic."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

RIP Shifty.

Enigma0122
07-15-2009, 13:34
RIP, Shifty. Thank you for your service.

dinatius
07-15-2009, 17:20
RIP

monsterhunter
07-15-2009, 20:42
I've heard nothing but good reports from those who were fortunate enough to meet him and wish I had been one of them. It's a terrible thing to be losing so many great men so fast, but it's been a privilege to have been around in their lifetime.

Rest in peace Shifty. You will be missed.

Stingray
07-16-2009, 02:15
Rest in Peace SSG Powers. Thank you for your service.
Stingray

greenberetTFS
09-09-2009, 23:31
One of the "Band of Brothers" soldiers died on June 17, 2009.
Harvey Shackelford
We're hearing a lot today about big splashy memorial services.
I want a nationwide memorial service for Darrell "Shifty" Powers.
Shifty volunteered for the airborne in WWII and served with Easy Company of the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, part of the 101st Airborne Infantry. If you've seen Band of Brothers on HBO or the History Channel, you know Shifty. His character appears in all 10 episodes, and Shifty himself is interviewed in several of them.
I met Shifty in the Philadelphia airport several years ago. I didn't know who he was at the time. I just saw an elderly gentleman having trouble reading his ticket. I offered to help, assured him that he was at the right gate, and noticed the "Screaming Eagle", the symbol of the 101st Airborne, on his hat.

Making conversation, I asked him if he'd been in the 101st Airborne or if his son was serving. He said quietly that he had been in the 101st. I thanked him for his service, then asked him when he served, and how many jumps he made.
Quietly and humbly, he said "Well, I guess I signed up in 1941 or so, and was in until sometime in 1945 . . . " at which point my heart skipped.
At that point, again, very humbly, he said "I made the 5 training jumps at Toccoa, and then jumped into Normandy . . . . do you know where Normandy is?" At this point my heart stopped.
I told him yes, I know exactly where Normandy was, and I know what D-Day was. At that point he said "I also made a second jump into Holland, into Arnhem." I was standing with a genuine war hero . . . . and then I realized that it was June, just after the anniversary of D-Day.
I asked Shifty if he was on his way back from France, and he said "Yes. And it's real sad because these days so few of the guys are left, and those that are, lots of them can't make the trip." My heart was in my throat and I didn't know what to say.
I helped Shifty get onto the plane and then realized he was back in Coach, while I was in First Class. I sent the flight attendant back to get him and said that I wanted to switch seats. When Shifty came forward, I got up out of the seat and told him I wanted him to have it, that I'd take his in coach.
He said "No, son, you enjoy that seat. Just knowing that there are still some who remember what we did and still care is enough to make an old man very happy." His eyes were filling up as he said it. And mine are brimming up now as I write this.

Shifty died on June 17 after fighting cancer.

There was no parade.

No big event in Staples Center.

And that's not right.

Let's give Shifty his own Memorial Service, online, in our own quiet way. Please forward this email to everyone you know. Especially to the veterans.

Rest in peace, Shifty.

"A nation without heroes is nothing."

Roberto Clemente

Big Teddy :munchin

SF0
09-10-2009, 00:00
Rest in Peace, Sergeant Powers. History will never forget what you have done for our country.

akv
09-10-2009, 00:36
There was a passage in "Band of Brothers" describing how Sergeant Powers during Bastogne had the SA to notice one tree on the horizon in the forest was moving a bit each day. They called in artillery on what ended up being a camouflaged German field gun.

Rest in Peace Sergeant, and Thank You.

XJWoody
09-10-2009, 03:06
Thank you for your service.

JJ_BPK
09-10-2009, 05:02
RIP Shifty, Vaya con Dios..

longrange1947
09-10-2009, 06:04
Rest in Peace Warrior. You deserve your rest and recognition.

Vaya con Dios.

echoes
09-10-2009, 06:44
May you Rest In Peace Sergeant Powers.

Your service and sacrifice will never be forgotten.

Holly

bricklayer
09-10-2009, 12:11
RIP SSG.
I had the honor of meeting a few of these fine men at my Airborne Graduation. I couldnt tell you there names but those of us who had no family there had the privlege of having our wings pinned on by them. I had butterflies in my stomach and a lump in my throat when the old soldier pinned my wings on me. Airborne!