PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Affairs Faces Surge of Disability Claims

Richard
07-13-2009, 07:10
And so it goes...

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Veterans Affairs Faces Surge of Disability Claims
James Dao, NYT, 12 Jul 2009

He jumped at loud noises, had unpredictable flashes of anger and was constantly replaying battle scenes in his head. When Damian J. Todd, who served two tours in Iraq with the Marine Corps, described those symptoms to a psychiatrist in January 2008, the diagnosis was quick: he was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.

Less swift was the government’s response when Mr. Todd submitted, a month later, a disability claim that would entitle him to a monthly benefit check. Nearly 18 months went by before the Department of Veterans Affairs granted his claim late last month, Mr. Todd said.

Mr. Todd, 33, is part of a flood of veterans, young and old, seeking disability compensation from the department for psychological and physical injuries connected to their military service. The backlog of unprocessed claims for those disabilities is now over 400,000, up from 253,000 six years ago, the agency said.

<snip> Post-traumatic stress disorder, or PTSD, has emerged as one of the most prevalent disability claims, after ailments like back pain and knee injuries. Not only are many new veterans receiving a diagnosis of the disorder, but an increasing number of Vietnam veterans are also reporting symptoms for the first time, officials and advocates said.

(cont'd) http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/13/us/13backlog.html?hpw

The Reaper
07-13-2009, 07:35
Sad to say, but many of those applying are shamming, and making fraudulent claims.

Many of the recipients will have never left the FOB, fired a round in anger, or seen a casualty.

TR

Pete
07-13-2009, 07:52
...Many of the recipients will have never left the FOB, fired a round in anger, or seen a casualty.

TR

And many will be amazed in a few years when their CC application is not approved and their next weapons purchase is turned down because they failed the background check.

TOMAHAWK9521
07-13-2009, 08:28
I'm not surprised to see the jump in numbers claiming PTSD. When I was began the procedure for a medical retirement, the first question came up was if I had PTSD. I was told by advisers in the WTU down at Carson that I could get a disability rating of 50% right off the top just for PTSD. They weren't too pleased when I laughed in their face. I thought they were joking. As TR said, what better way for people to sham and collect money from the government. :mad: I wasn't real crazy about losing my CCW either.

PRB
07-13-2009, 11:32
PTSD is the new welfare.
All those ets'ing know it and how do you disprove it...the shrinks with the VA approve it then get paid for 'working' with the distraight soldier....pad your own roles at the Govt. expense.
If they note combat time on your DD214 it is a given.
Sad, very sad.

greenberetTFS
07-13-2009, 12:38
PTSD is the new welfare.
All those ets'ing know it and how do you disprove it...the shrinks with the VA approve it then get paid for 'working' with the distraight soldier....pad your own roles at the Govt. expense.
If they note combat time on your DD214 it is a given.
Sad, very sad.

PRB,

Your right.........:rolleyes: What a sad state of affairs our country is going though when almost a half million vet's are jumping on this gravy train.......:o It's a shame that they will receive 50% compensation when I believe they(certainly not all) are liars.......:mad:What a disgrace.............

Big Teddy :munchin

Dozer523
07-13-2009, 13:41
And civilian doctors are not helping. They seem to try to diagnose everything a PTSD or PTSS. I took the Little Dude to our civilian Urgent Care for LD's worsening cough. FOTB Doctor starts asking me about Afghanistan and my experience and how "troubling that is".
"Doctor, Little Dude has a cough."
"Well, if you don't want to talk about it; that can be a warning sign."
At that point I just shut up . . . Cause if had said anything I might have "been in denial":rolleyes:

Saturation
07-13-2009, 15:44
It appears the system has swung in the completely opposite direction these last several years from under diagnosis to over diagnosis.

As commented previously not getting a PTSD diagnosis in the current system is difficult. The screening is reduced and those that would like to game the system have learned the easiest report to make is nightmares and few other symptoms.

These fakers, IMHO, make it worse for their fellow veterans with a true diagnosis. They use the system, taking away valuable resources and worse lumping themselves with the truly injured. The veteran with an accurate PTSD diagnosis is so much less likely to seek help looking at the company he is keeping.

I don't believe this is what any good mental health professional would want~ fake patients wasting their time and the govt resources.

Saturation
(daily lurker/infrequent commenter)

VAKEMP
07-13-2009, 17:54
The worst part is that all of the shammers are clogging up the system, forcing those with legitimate claims to wait longer. :mad: