Warrior-Mentor
07-10-2009, 14:47
Washington Times
July 9, 2009
Pg. 4

World Watch

Girl With No Future

By Michael Yon

AFGHANISTAN -- It's not the troops; it's not the economy; it's not that it's mountainous and landlocked like Austria and Switzerland. It's the society. I write these words from Ghor province, and it's like the Jurassic Park in Helmand, Kandahar, Zabul, Nangahar ... keep going. A person can tool around in towns like Kabul, Jalalabad or Mazar-i-Sharif and build up hopes, but to extrapolate beyond the tangible is folly. Iraq is 1,000 years more advanced than Afghanistan. Nepal is far more connected to and cognizant of the outside world.

After nearly eight years of war and billions spent, there is not a single Afghan soldier in this entire province. There is not a meter of paved road. There is a single television station that operates for maybe four hours a night when it has fuel.

Recently, I had a long meeting with the manager, Mohammad Jan Kendewalli. The station's budget is $1,000 per month, he says, but $2,600 is required. He also says the British have returned to steal uranium from Helmand.

We are worried about infiltration into places like Helmand from Pakistan, but what about places like Ghor province? Mostly Tajik, some Pashtuns, Hazaras and others, but that same television manager says even Tajiks go to neighboring Helmand to harvest and fight because they can't make money. Other Tajiks deny this link.

So we might say, "It's the economy." That's part of it. But the economy is bad because of the people. The Nepali Gurkhas see Afghans as backward. I just spent a month with Gurkhas who served in Afghanistan and have been to many villages where Gurkhas are born. Their situation is tough, but the Nepalese are not plagued by the remarkable tribal and ethnic fighting we see here.

American warplanes recently struck at an Iranian-linked terrorist in Ghor province named Mullah Mustafa. He survived, but the coalition took a hit due to civilian casualties. Unreported, however, was that a Croatian officer who led a 550-kilometer patrol in the area after the attack found that, despite civilian casualties, locals strongly supported that air strike. We do still enjoy a support base in many areas, but some of that derives from the fact that we are smiting their enemies.

Smiting warlords and terrorists is like cutting the grass, which is no revelation to U.S. and allied commanders. Yet many people at home, including some of the political elite, do not grasp the societal inertia, complexity and natural baffles to progress. Ten years from now - 18 years into the process - this will not be finished business.

Time has a different meaning here. Take the case of members of the Baibogha tribe who abandoned a patch of land nearby about 150 years ago. Hazaras moved in, now Baibogha have come back to tell the Hazaras, "Wait ... you stole our patch of nothing while we disappeared for 150 years." Despite all the energy spent on fighting, in the thousands of years that Ghor province has been inhabited, there is not a single meter of paved road to show for all those laps around the sun.

Today, I was in the village of Karbasha Qalat, situated in a remote area at 8,800 feet. The 20 families had no electricity and not even a battery-operated radio. During the winter, the horses, cows, donkeys and other animals live with them inside their mud homes. Only the village elder was literate, and his language was Dari. He said that only two trucks had come to Karbasha Qalat in the 14 years since the village was founded; the visitors were searching for information on land mines. None of the children had been to school, and none are likely to go. The mothers are illiterate ... the hand that rocks the cradle. Nearly all mothers in Afghanistan are illiterate.

Let's be frank. We must look at the situation and ask, "How far can we nudge this place by the year 2100?" Reasonably speaking - let's take out the pencils - how many generations are required to achieve even 80 percent literacy? If widespread literacy is a goal - literacy should be a primary goal - it's already too late for most of the youngsters who will be born in the next five years.

If Afghanistan is to reach even the level of Nepal - maybe we could do that in 25 years. Meanwhile, Germans and Canadians seem to be growing weary. I sat down with the Lithuanian ambassador recently and came away with the impression that the Lithuanians are fully committed to four or five more years. The Lithuanian commitment is valuable, important, and showing obvious progress in its area.

Yet we and our many allies must realize that this cake will not be baked in 10 years. Some British, at least, talk in terms of 10 more years. A key Japanese official in Afghanistan said to me that they are committed to 10, 20, maybe 30 years. It will take 100, but at least the Japanese are thinking straight, while most of us are not.

Michael Yon is a writer and former Green Beret who has spent more time in Iraq and Afghanistan with U.S. and British combat forces than any other journalist.

frostfire
07-10-2009, 16:23
Girl With No Future

By Michael Yon

not to Greg Mortenson
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18769&highlight=greg+mortenson

Richard
07-11-2009, 10:27
Yet another 'but' with broader regional implications...:munchin

One Reason We Fight in Afghanistan
Michael Gerson, Townhall, 10 Jul 2009

Being an educated, professional woman in Afghanistan could not have been easy at any time during the last few decades. I recently met with a group of female government officials, brought to Washington by USAID and the U.S.-Afghan Women's Council. One, during the Taliban years, had run an underground school in her home for the criminal purpose of teaching girls. Another had built a community development program employing 25,000 Afghan women before she was put under close guard by the Taliban. Her home was looted, and her children were threatened with kidnapping.

Afghanistan is a country were women have made significant progress -- but only compared to a comprehensively oppressive past. Seven million children now attend school, compared to 1 million six years ago. The women I met now play public roles in education, public works and agriculture -- unimaginable under the Taliban.

Yet Afghanistan is also a nation where girls have had acid thrown in their faces while walking to school and female police officers and public officials have been targeted for assassination. Taliban and foreign extremists seem to take a particular interest -- the kind of interest Freud could explain -- in the intimidation, repression and humiliation of women.

And patriarchal attitudes are not confined to the fringes. The Shiite family law, recently passed by the Afghan parliament and signed by President Hamid Karzai, legalized marital rape and restricted the travel of women. (Under domestic and international pressure, the law is being revisited.)

Afghanistan remains one of the most difficult places on Earth to be a woman. A reaction of anger and militancy would be understandable. But the Afghan women I met take a different approach. Uniformly they argue that "education" is the most important response. By education, they do not mean only literacy. "People need to be educated in the values of our own religion," says Rahela Hashim Sidiqi, a senior adviser at Afghanistan's civil service commission. "They need to learn from other Islamic countries, such as Indonesia and Bangladesh. Even in Arab countries, education is not denied."

The main challenge, says Sidiqi, is "the lack of education about Islam itself, particularly in rural areas where culture and Islam are mixed. People don't see the difference between tradition and religion." These women talk of the Quran's teaching on property rights and respect for women as a source of progressive reform within Afghan culture. They speak with particular respect for Khadijah, Muhammad's wife, who, they argue, was educated and conducted business while married to the prophet. And they identify a number of prominent Afghan imams who defend these views. "They are the key," says Sidiqi. "We need a positive approach."

Clearly, this is a different kind of feminism. Rather than asserting an individualistic conception of rights, these women are arguing for respect and legal protection from within their religious tradition. They do not seek to overturn a cultural order, but to expand and humanize it. "If it shows respect to wear a scarf," says Sidiqi, "I wear a scarf." "We respect other people -- and we expect respect." This conservative approach to social change may be the only one that works in a deeply traditional society.

The rights of Afghan women are not always seen at the forefront of American interests. Some foreign policy "realists" seem open to an accommodation with Islamist groups in Afghanistan that would sacrifice human rights in the cause of stability. Some conservatives seem to view all nation-building as social engineering -- beyond our capability and beyond our concern.

These women offer a practical rebuttal. They point out that the reconstruction of Afghanistan will not take place without the knowledge and skills of 52 percent of its population. They believe women in Afghanistan possess the political advantage of being untainted by past warfare and corruption; that they represent a chance for Afghan politics to start anew. And they have seen, according to Sidiqi, "that women are always fighting for the rule of law, because women and children are hurt most when there is no rule of law."

Why should America, in the midst of a costly war, care about the rights of Afghan women? Because Afghanistan, without the participation of women, will remain a failed and dangerous state.

And there is another reason -- because the betrayal of courage always matters, and always dishonors those who commit it. The dignity of women is not the only reason America fights in Afghanistan -- but it is a good one.

http://townhall.com/columnists/MichaelGerson/2009/07/10/one_reason_we_fight_in_afghanistan

bailaviborita
07-11-2009, 11:08
Not to downplay Mortensen, but I fail to see the connection between improvement in Pakistan and educating women. Unless the culture will allow women to change society, hold jobs, improve legal status, etc.- educating them IMO won't naturally lead to "good". Seems to me that our own example didn't begin with education for women as much as it began with a break from tribalism/nationalism/religion over time- and that eventually led to women enjoying the same opportunities.

Gerson seems to make the same points- education is needed- but I'm not sure that differs from Yon. Sure, education is a big part of it, but I think Yon is arguing that won't happen overnight.

While Americans are now starting to ask what we are doing in Afghanistan and how long it will take- and Europeans are growing weary, it is probably a good time for us to come to grasp with a few things:

- Afghanistan isn't like Iraq and it will be longer and more difficult
- There are limits to what we can do and the type of culture change/nation-building needed in Afghanistan will severely test those limits
- Limiting our objectives to denial of training areas for AQ might be the only real interest we have in the region- the rest will have to come from Af-Pak internally with some funding/help from us

Or we can continually beat the drum of nation-building (while calling it COIN) and spend tons of money and military effort at something that is arguably impossible (in 20 years), all the while letting our conventional military might deteriorate.

frostfire
07-11-2009, 12:41
Not to downplay Mortensen, but I fail to see the connection between improvement in Pakistan and educating women. Unless the culture will allow women to change society, hold jobs, improve legal status, etc.- educating them IMO won't naturally lead to "good". Seems to me that our own example didn't begin with education for women as much as it began with a break from tribalism/nationalism/religion over time- and that eventually led to women enjoying the same opportunities.

Sir,

I'm not Mortenson's spokesperson, jut a believer in his cause. I tried to to summarize his core mission beliefs to explain the connection, but I realized it's best to let him speak for himself.

"If you educate a boy, you educate the individual. But if you educate a girl, you educate a community" ~African proverb

Promoting Peace and Building Nations
Since a 1993 climb on Pakistan's K2, Greg Mortenson has helped more than 25,000 children, especially girls, in remote regions of Pakistan and Afghanistan receive quality education. He recounts the challenges and joys that have culminated in the building of more than 55 schools to an audience at UC Santa Barbara. [9/2008] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdqVoNtJZfU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8MyNQqHqGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JxY52OOYzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrXh_db3POg

I'd make a (weak) argument, however, that the example of USA may not parallel Afghanistan. There are tribalism and religion in both cases, but Islamic teaching and influence is not the same with Christianity IMHO.

I concur with the rest of your points.

bailaviborita
07-12-2009, 10:59
Don't get me wrong- I think educating women is important and possibly could be a part of change. What sparked my "antennas", however, were phrases such as: "...Because Afghanistan, without the participation of women, will remain a failed and dangerous state..." and "...I have seen profound change in the villages when girls learn to read and write..."

I don't understand how one could make the first statement without at least one reference- if not reams of references, empirical data, and case studies. I would argue there are plenty of examples throughout history of successful states that didn't include women in an equal manner- especially during their "developmental" eras.

Likewise, the second phrase seems very anecdotal. What kind of change? Has it been replicated? Has it been logically traced directly to the education of women? Or were there fundamentals already in place/changing that both contributed to women getting educated AND the "profound change" witnessed? I think one must be on the lookout for unilateral prescriptions that sound like panaceas for complex problems.

And I 100% agree with your statement that the example of the USA will not parallel Afghanistan. If anything, it will be 180 degrees out. Because of that it makes me more doubtful of an "education of women" solution to current problems.

To me this smacks terribly of a US-centric approach to the problem. Shoving women's rights (to include education) down rural, illiterate Afghan men's throats will be tough for them to swallow- this in a "nation" that doesn't like other tribes much less outsiders telling them what to do.

Which makes me wonder how any Westerner would approach trying to do what Sidiqi (or insert any Afghan elite) advises: teach "other" views of Islam to include Bangladeshi, etc. views. They don't like Tajiks from MES in Kandahar- how would they accept a program from Bangladesh or an "enlightened" Imam from Kabul?

Regardless, I submit all of this is fine for NGOs and "Af-Pak" internal organizations, but I think the U.S. government and armed forces should stick to clear and attainable objectives like denying AQ bases. When we start talking doing more than that (and calling it COIN), I think we are getting into the dangerously touchy-feely junk of "nation-building".

Another reason my inner-cynic rises up wrt this issue is that we've long asserted the same for our inner cities: if we just educate the kids better, they'll stop gang-banging and dealing/using drugs. Shame that it isn't so simple. When kids spend less than 9.4% of their time around teachers, why do we think they will change their "culture" if we just improve education?

It would seem obvious to me that there are some systemic underlying fundamentals that are undermining our best efforts at educating kids and that we have to address those prior to addressing education- and that maybe government can't address them directly.

Likewise I think there are possibly some systemic underlying fundamentals at work in Af-Pak undermining our best intentions at improving society there- to include women's education- and that maybe the government- both ours and theirs- can't address it directly, but that until it changes no amount of schools built for girls will change anything.

abc_123
07-27-2009, 04:58
This is good stuff. Program championed and run by the NG. Run from a little office with about 6 people in it to include the COL in charge. The methodology is to take people from farm belt states and in general agriculture backgrounds and leveraging that as part of the COIN effort. It's not sexy and it's not a quick fix, but IMHO this stuff is better than smoking a couple of TB any day of the week...even though you have to do that to enable stuff like this.

Mods please move if there is a better thread to put this in.

http://www.ng.mil/news/archives/2009/07/072209-Farmers.aspx

By Elizabeth Raney
4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division Public Affairs

Capt. Jeffrey Mann, a soil scientist and National Guardsman from Manhattan, Kan., with the 2-130th Field Artillery Battalion out of Hiawatha, Kan., currently serving with 1-6th Kansas Agribusiness Development Team, Task Force Mountain Warrior, teaches students from Nangarhar University how to test soil for nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium using chemical tablets, soil and water. Photo by Elizabeth Raney 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division Public Affairs
download hi-res photoLAGHMAN PROVINCE, Afghanistan (7/22/09) -- Guard members from the Kansas Agribusiness Development Team of Task Force Mountain Warrior conducted an agricultural development class here at Forward Operating Base Mehtar Lam's district Research and Demonstration Farm, July 12-16.

The five-day class coordinated with members of the U.S. Agency for International Development, taught students from Nangarhar University more effective farming techniques so that they may teach the current and next generations of Afghan farmers.

"These classes are designed to teach future agricultural leaders modern techniques of growing, irrigating, harvesting, and preserving their crops, as well as taking better care of their livestock," said, U.S. Army Lt. Col. Roger Beekman, the ADT commander.

Beekman began the instruction with classes on food storage and preservation, and sanitation.

Fellow instructors taught additional farming techniques, such as irrigation, soil management, care of livestock, preventive veterinary medicine, and pest management.

A favorite among the Afghan students was the hands-on soil management class, given by U.S. Army Capt. Jeffrey Mann, a soil scientist from Manhattan, Kan.

"The students loved to dig into and analyze the soil samples," said Mann. "They were very curious about the chemicals used to separate the nutrients from the soil and asked many questions."

Beekman said that he felt the classes would have long term positive effects on agriculture in Laghman.

"If these students take just some of these ideas and work with local farmers, who will then put them into practice, we'll see a more productive and efficient farming society in Afghanistan," said Beekman.

More Links to related articles.

New Webpage on Agriculture Development Teams

http://www.ng.mil/features/ADT/default.aspx

Five governors meet with ADTs in Afghanistan

http://www.ng.mil/news/archives/2009/07/072409-Five.aspx