PDA

View Full Version : Nijmegen March

mojaveman
07-06-2009, 19:20
Ok alfromcolorado,

Your post about Wildflecken brang back some sweet memories of when I was a very young GI in the Fatherland. I was just curious if some of the other members of this website, in particular, the guys who were in 10th Group ever participated in the International Four Day March in Nijmegen. I almost had a chance to go in '81 but someone else from my unit was chosen. When that participant returned and told me about the party at the end of the route I really felt like I had missed out on something special.

Anyway, did anyone reading get to march?

alfromcolorado
07-06-2009, 19:38
All our long marches were kind of independent...

I did go to one of the organized marches in 1982. It was in the countryside around Bern Switzerland for two days. A lot of Nijmegeners were there prepping.

It was a really good time.

Wonder if they still do Nijmegen. I know one can do it as a civy too.

Ok alfromcolorado,

Your post about Wildflecken brang back some sweet memories of when I was a very young GI in the Fatherland. I was just curious if some of the other members of this website, in particular, the guys who were in 10th Group ever participated in the International Four Day March in Nijmegen, The Netherlands. I almost had a chance to go in '81 but someone else from my unit was chosen. When that participant returned and told me about the party at the end of the route I really felt like I had missed out on something special.

Anyway, did anyone reading get to march?

Richard
07-06-2009, 19:52
All our 'strolls' were in the Alps and Schwarzwald when I was in 1-10th.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

adal
07-06-2009, 20:20
Nijmegen was a BLAST! I had just finished selection and got a date for the Q. Since I had nothing else to do I talked my commander in to letting me get together with a unit down the kaserne that was going. I was the medic and had a blast. Nothing better than marching straight into the beer tent at the end of a long day.

f50lrrp
07-07-2009, 10:36
I was the NCOIC of a color guard from the 24th Division in 1965 (20 year aniversary of the end of WWII). We wore 101st Division patches on our uniforms and we were welcomed everywhere that we went. The best 4 days that I spent in the Army.

alfromcolorado
07-07-2009, 15:33
All our 'strolls' were in the Alps and Schwarzwald when I was in 1-10th.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Ah yes, memories of Flintlock's gone by...