PDA

View Full Version : East German Weapons

swpa19
07-06-2009, 09:51
A friend of mine that is quite a weapons collector were at a gun show recently and the subject came up about, "wonder whatever happened to........"

This was in regard to the PPSh-41s and PPs-43 along with the STG-44 the East German Peoples Police used to carry.

Following the dissulsion of East Germany, you'd think that these weapons (especially the STG-44) would flood the collectors market. There has been no noticble increase of these weapons, at least not on the east coast.

Any of you old Det "A" folks have any ideas on this?

Team Sergeant
07-06-2009, 10:12
A friend of mine that is quite a weapons collector were at a gun show recently and the subject came up about, "wonder whatever happened to........"

This was in regard to the PPSh-41s and PPs-43 along with the STG-44 the East German Peoples Police used to carry.

Following the dissulsion of East Germany, you'd think that these weapons (especially the STG-44) would flood the collectors market. There has been no noticble increase of these weapons, at least not on the east coast.

Any of you old Det "A" folks have any ideas on this?

Flood what market? Kenya?

Might have to due with the fact they are full auto weapons and most are older than dirt.

greenberetTFS
07-06-2009, 10:37
Flood what market? Kenya?

Might have to due with the fact they are full auto weapons and most are older than dirt.

TS,

Shame on you,show more respect for older than dirt things.........:D

Big Teddy :munchin

kawika
07-06-2009, 10:39
If you can find an actual STG-44 the value in the current market is at least 12,000 if not more. Thompsons are at least 20,000 and they are far more common in this country than the STG's They did flood the market after the east german's stopped using them for border control. They were way more common 6-7 years ago then they are now. It's hard to get one with actual papers. If it was a vet bring back alot of times those don't have papers and our lovely BAFTE says once a machine gun always a machine gun. If it wasn't registered during the amnesty period your out of luck. Of course the east german ones you are talking about would be brought into country, and the receiver switched out with a semi auto one. You can find those for sale for around 2 grand. Still a very high price to pay for a non full auto/no papers STG. That's why the prices are ridiculously high like 40,000.

I'd love to get my hands on one, but not for anywhere near what there going for now.

The Reaper
07-07-2009, 08:27
Exactly.

Importation of full auto weapons is severely restricted, and no new "machine guns" may be imported for private ownership since 1986.

Even the stripped parts kits may no longer be imported with a barrel.

TR

Richard
07-07-2009, 09:51

Those weapons had all been replaced with AKs and such decades ago - melted down, most likely - the FRG did the same with most of the Soviet stuff they inherited after 3 Oct 90 when East and West Germany unified because nobody needed/wanted that stuff, either - wasn't STANAG - and there were severe restrictions on it entering the global arms market.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

mike-munich
07-29-2009, 14:26
I second Richards post. We destroyed pretty much all of the former GDR weapons after the reunification in 1989/1990. Only very few made it into (Police, Military and Government) collections and museums.

According to our "Kriegswaffenkontrolgesetz" a private party can not own actual or former military weapons, full auto is highly illegal anyway. There are only a few exceptions, I could turn my H&K SL-8 into a semi-automatic G36 without a problem.

I wish I could have gotten my hands on one of them Markarovs or Tokarevs... :cool:

Former East Germany did export alot of arms to Africa and Latin America. There should be quite a few of those "old irons" around.

Pete S
07-30-2009, 08:25
I remember seeing this picture awhile back.

I wonder if Russia still has a bunch of them collecting dust in a warehouse somewhere.